PDA

View Full Version : anyone know how to on brake lines???

yokeley
08-05-2009, 07:28 AM
ok so my husband has always wanted a jeep right ...well he got one from this guys who supposedly loves jeeps & well it was a little bit of a fixer upper..anyways my husband was replacing the rear drums on the back passenger side when the brake line broke..now the store's where we live says they arent abled to send us one because they dont have it & now i am looking on line for one but i dont exactly know what im looking for ..any help pls...the previous owner isnt anwsering ..i dont know what size or type to order & we live in germany so im trying autozone.com can someone look & tell me what i need ..it is a 1991 jeep cherokee 4.0l 6cyl 4wd probably need to replace the other brake line also...Help in germany ...

muddeprived
08-05-2009, 07:43 AM
ok so my husband has always wanted a jeep right ...well he got one from this guys who supposedly loves jeeps & well it was a little bit of a fixer upper..anyways my husband was replacing the rear drums on the back passenger side when the brake line broke..now the store's where we live says they arent abled to send us one because they dont have it & now i am looking on line for one but i dont exactly know what im looking for ..any help pls...the previous owner isnt anwsering ..i dont know what size or type to order & we live in germany so im trying autozone.com can someone look & tell me what i need ..it is a 1991 jeep cherokee 4.0l 6cyl 4wd probably need to replace the other brake line also...Help in germany ...

Just to be sure, are you talking about the actual hard line that runs on the axle and carries brake fluid to the brakes or are you talking about the emergency brake cable?

If it's the hard line that carries fluid then you gotta remove it (it disconnects from the wheel cylinder and 3 way port on the axle) and take it in for replacement. They usually measure length and thickness and replace it with a straight one that you have to bend to put in place. It's not hard really. Normally parts stores don't have brake line types in their computer systems. It's a measure-replace type of part.

yokeley
08-05-2009, 10:38 AM
well i went on the autozone site & found the Russell / 24 in. Endura Straight -3 to Straight -3 Universal Street Legal Brake Line Assembly ...is that a keeper?

yokeley
08-05-2009, 10:39 AM
o & it is the hard line carrying the fluids that lays on the axle i went out & checked...thanks

muddeprived
08-05-2009, 11:12 AM
o & it is the hard line carrying the fluids that lays on the axle i went out & checked...thanks

If it's the hardline then it's mostly a custom job at the parts store. You bring your old line and they measure the length and thickness and then cut it for you with fittings attached. It's your job to bend it over the crap on the axle and make it fit. It's a real simple job but if you feel nervous then have a qualified mechanic or friend do it for you.

When my gf's bro replaced his rear lines on his 00, he had to take em both off and bring em in the store. They measured and cut and then we bent them to fit.

Howler_GT
08-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Most NAPA stores have straight lengths with various fittings.

I know for a fact they have the line. Its a stock item.
Just get one thats long enough (don't forget to include ANY bends from factory.
The line they carry is easily bent. I suggest using a tubing bender. Makes for a nicer and more professional looking job.

My only gripe is the angle the wheel cylinder fitting is at. MAY cause some expletives to be thrown.

ALSO: Before making any bends...make sure the fittings are at the ends. A small piece of masking tape will keep you from having to UNbend so you can relocate that fitting.
:D

OverlandXJ
08-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Any small repair shop should have a tubing cutter and flaring tool. It shouldnt cost you much if anything to walk in and ask them to cut (for length) and flare one end of the hardline.

A decent parts supply store should be able to provide the tubing. Have your husband screw in one end (at the wheel cylinder) and gently bend the tubing to follow the originals route. Then mark the approximate length and hit the repair shop. You can substitute a tubing bender by looking around the house/garage for something circular that you can bend over or around. Pipes, wheels etc. I have even used the engine fan belt in a pinch.

That Russel line you posted will be too short. It's further than 24" from the junction block to the pass side wheel cylinder.

whowey
08-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Being able to bend and double-flare your own lines is one of those skills every true Jeeper should know or at least learn how to do. Its not tough at all. A tubing bender, tubing cutter and double flare kit will run you less than $50 total. And once you have bent and flared a few lines its not much of a challenge.

But you can just get a longer line and out some extra bends in it if you dont want to cut it. I did that with my ZJ.. because it was winter, cold as heck and I just wanted to get it back on the road. I always meant to re-do it when I built it.. But that was over two years ago and I haven't bothered yet.

BlueXJ
08-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Any small repair shop should have a tubing cutter and flaring tool. It shouldnt cost you much if anything to walk in and ask them to cut (for length) and flare one end of the hardline.

That Russel line you posted will be too short. It's further than 24" from the junction block to the pass side wheel cylinder.

The long side is 48" not too sure about the short side. They are the same on both a D35 and a Chryco 8.25 Just replaced the one on my 8.25 which got crushed by the forklift, with the old one on my D35. I had measured it and was going to get one when the thought occured to check the D35 one. It was a perfect fit bends and everything.