PDA

View Full Version : which champion plugs?

muddeprived
08-05-2009, 07:26 AM
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CPN-438/

or

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CPN-3034/

or

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CPN-412/

?

I got $15 free summit bucks so I'm gonna order some spark plugs from them since it's been two years since I replaced mine. I'm not sure which champion plugs to use. Platinum or copper? The 3rd option is what is shown in my Haynes manual BUT it doesn't show up when you select your year/make/model on summit. I have to pull it up by the part number. Weird.

ol"blue
08-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Your 2001 4.0L should use Champion RC12MCC4 or equivalent @ 0.040".

I would go with the middle one of those three if I had to choose.

muddeprived
08-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Your 2001 4.0L should use Champion RC12MCC4 or equivalent @ 0.040".

I would go with the middle one of those three if I had to choose.

I did alot of searching online the past hour and realized that there's a sticker above my brake booster that shows which plugs to use. Mine says: RC12ECC at .035 gap. Since that's what's stated on the sticker, i went ahead and ordered those from summit. Most of the plugs seem to be the same except some have resistors and some don't. It should work.

I normally just go to advance and tell em I need 6 champion plugs for my 4.0. I don't know what part they give me though. This time I'm ordering from summit cuz I have a $15 gift card and only have to pay $2.50 for shipping. I ordered 7 just in case.

ol"blue
08-05-2009, 11:33 AM
You can't beat a deal like that. I wonder about the differences in gap though. My manual calls for .040" gap. I know it says to go by the underhood sticker, but still.

muddeprived
08-05-2009, 12:08 PM
You can't beat a deal like that. I wonder about the differences in gap though. My manual calls for .040" gap. I know it says to go by the underhood sticker, but still.

My haynes states .035 gap. I wonder why there are different recommendations and specifications in the manuals.

ol"blue
08-05-2009, 12:16 PM
My haynes states .035 gap. I wonder why there are different recommendations and specifications in the manuals.

My manual is a Haynes too, but it's for a ZJ. That shouldn't matter as they both use the same 4.0L, right?

muddeprived
08-05-2009, 12:28 PM
My manual is a Haynes too, but it's for a ZJ. That shouldn't matter as they both use the same 4.0L, right?

Yeah, weird. You think .005 makes that much of a difference? i doubt it. I remember taking off my stock plugs and the gap was NO WHERE near .035 but the jeep ran fine. My TJ called for .035 in both the 2.5 and 4.0 so i guess either .035 or .040 will work.

whowey
08-05-2009, 04:52 PM

I wouldn't trust a Haynes manual to hold a wobbly table leg. Their best use is to keep your cans and bottles from leaving rings on your workbench.

Go by the sticker under the hood... Nothing better than the actual manufacturer recommendations on plugs.

The reason you guys are seeing the big gaps when you are pulling plugs with tons of miles... plugs wear down with all the explosions happening at the tip of them... So after awhile the gap opens up.. wait too long and its significantly different.