PDA

View Full Version : CB antenna mount

Joliet Johnny
08-15-2012, 09:30 AM
My brother in law got me a great deal on the new Cobra 29. Now I want to put the radio into the XJ. Im wondering if attaching the "mirror" mount to my roof rack is a good idea? I will have a spring on it just threw it together for the pic. I may also switch to a whip style antenna haven't decided yet.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd490/jolietjohnny/015.jpg

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd490/jolietjohnny/016.jpg

4.3LXJ
08-15-2012, 09:40 AM
I am not a radio guy yet. But I understand that is a good location for signal. However, I think you might be asking for trouble on that roof rack. They aren't all that tough. I think if you snag something it will twist.

Mudderoy
08-15-2012, 09:41 AM
You can check it with an SWR meter, but since the roof rack isn't metal that means you shouldn't be getting a ground. Keep in mind that nearly all CB antennas that are made for mobile operation are only 1/2 the length they need to be. They use the "ground" of the vehicle to provide a electrical "mirror" of the other half. No ground no mirror.

You'd be better off with a mag mount and the antenna in the center of the roof.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/BLACK-5-TRI-MAG-MOUNT-W-3-8-x-24-ANTENNA-MOUNT-LPAD-/05/!BvSJlS!!Wk~$(KGrHqUOKiUEvP35(H-TBMD7vUcgUw~~_3.JPG

Also many people put a bracket behind one of the tail lights that stick out to the side.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g354/bambam0417/cbmount001.jpg

Joliet Johnny
08-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Forgot about the ground...
Who makes that magnet mount you posted?

Mudderoy
08-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Forgot about the ground...
Who makes that magnet mount you posted?

It was just a random image I found. Let me find you a link. Those are usually sold by Amateur radio supply places.

Check this one out. I don't know how well it holds, you might want to do a little searching and get other people's opinions before you buy one.

Amazon.com: Tram 269 Triple 5" Magnet CB Antenna Mount: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41J3rW-XTBL.@@AMEPARAM@@41J3rW-XTBL

Joliet Johnny
08-15-2012, 09:58 AM
I suppose I could buy 3 CB magnets and find some thick metal and make one. I had once considered the K40 magnet. I have had bad luck with magnets in the past but the link you provided seems like it may hold better.

Mudderoy
08-15-2012, 10:47 AM
I suppose I could buy 3 CB magnets and find some thick metal and make one. I had once considered the K40 magnet. I have had bad luck with magnets in the past but the link you provided seems like it may hold better.

Really depends on the magnet. Of course the nice thing is that instead of breaking an antenna or pulling the mount out of the metal on your roof, the mag just falls over.

Check out some of the HAM stores, like aesham.com.

Joliet Johnny
08-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Last magnet mount I had fell off in high winds and broke the tip off my wire antenna. Wish I had a pic of how I mounted the new antenna on that Saturn SL2...
I think I had it on there so solid that a bird may have been cut in half.

slvmart
08-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Not a fan of magnet mount antennas. Although they provide entertainment at a car wash ! :cry:

I personally like the mounts that are typically used by the tail light. Not as likely to be snagged on anything that decides to reach out an touch you.
mount : http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm
Antenna : http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

Quite a bit of info online about CB Antennas. ;)

Joliet Johnny
08-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Those Firesticks are strong. I bought the one in the pic because my friend has one mounted through the roof on his Dodge 1500 and it took down some small branches without breaking. While thats not my goal its good to know.

UpstateXJ
08-17-2012, 12:58 AM
I plan to mount mine in the center of the wiper cowl. I figure that with it being in the center of the vehicle and lower than the roof it should stay out of harm's way pretty good.

Joliet Johnny
08-20-2012, 08:43 AM
I plan to mount mine in the center of the wiper cowl. I figure that with it being in the center of the vehicle and lower than the roof it should stay out of harm's way pretty good.

I thought about that but figured it would not be fun to run the wire to the CB. Im still playing with the idea of replacing the AM/FM antenna with CB antenna and putting one of those "shark fin" antennas like GM cars have on my roof. I will 1st try building a 3 magnet antenna like Tony posted. If it works I will make a how to and Im expecting it to be under $20 to make the base.

Mudderoy
08-20-2012, 10:17 AM
I thought about that but figured it would not be fun to run the wire to the CB. Im still playing with the idea of replacing the AM/FM antenna with CB antenna and putting one of those "shark fin" antennas like GM cars have on my roof. I will 1st try building a 3 magnet antenna like Tony posted. If it works I will make a how to and Im expecting it to be under $20 to make the base.

the combo antennas were never very good for CBS mainly because of the circuitry needed to keep the RF out of the AM/FM radio.

Joliet Johnny
08-21-2012, 07:29 PM
No if I take that route I will have 2 antennas, CB on pass fender and AM/FM Satellite radio on roof. If that antenna works on a Cadillac it should work on an XJ.

Mudderoy
08-22-2012, 01:06 PM
No if I take that route I will have 2 antennas, CB on pass fender and AM/FM Satellite radio on roof. If that antenna works on a Cadillac it should work on an XJ.

I don't know anything about the Satellite radio or antennas, so I didn't know it did the FM as well. It seems strange they would use it for AM as well, it requires a much bigger antenna.

Joliet Johnny
08-22-2012, 01:12 PM
I don't know anything about the Satellite radio or antennas, so I didn't know it did the FM as well. It seems strange they would use it for AM as well, it requires a much bigger antenna.

In my friends Sunfire AM870 comes in good and thats the only station that isnt in Spanish, about sports, headline news or about how I am a sinner.

ArmyGuy45
12-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Dont you want a good metal base plate to get a better signal?

prerunner1982
12-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Dont you want a good metal base plate to get a better signal?

Optimum location is mounted directly to the body (not magnetic) in the middle of the roof similar to this: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/attachments/stereo-electronics-electrical/9316d1172670443-permanent-cb-roof-antenna-nmo-mount2.jpg

However, some people may not want to drill holes through the roof of their vehicle. Clearance also plays a roll if they typically wheel in heavily wooded areas. It is generally easier for most people to use the mirror clamp or taillight mount than pull the headliner and drill through the roof and such.

The main point it the mount has a good ground connection with the body.

If the antenna is mounted on a corner of the vehicle the signal strength will be skewed. Also if the antenna is short and is mounted next to the body it may cause some issues with tuning the antenna.

DEAD EYE
12-19-2014, 08:41 AM
Optimum location is mounted directly to the body (not magnetic) in the middle of the roof similar to this: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/attachments/stereo-electronics-electrical/9316d1172670443-permanent-cb-roof-antenna-nmo-mount2.jpg

However, some people may not want to drill holes through the roof of their vehicle. Clearance also plays a roll if they typically wheel in heavily wooded areas. It is generally easier for most people to use the mirror clamp or taillight mount than pull the headliner and drill through the roof and such.

The main point it the mount has a good ground connection with the body.

If the antenna is mounted on a corner of the vehicle the signal strength will be skewed. Also if the antenna is short and is mounted next to the body it may cause some issues with tuning the antenna.

Agreed. with the antenna on the rack you would want to use a grounding strap. but with several factors in mind like ripping the antenna off the roof with possible tree limbs I decided personally to go with the tail light mount. I usually run an MFJ mobile Antenna tuner in line anyway so SWRs have never been an issue and I have had great success with my signal reaching out a great distance... Though I usually never run stock radios or mics so I have seen 50-60 mile ranges... but I also have run radios for years as a hobby...

bluedragon436
12-19-2014, 11:52 PM

I've read quite a few folks that ran the K40 setup with no issues even on tight trails and low hanging branches... Was thinking about running something like that on my 97, as I'm a bit worried about the mounts like I had before that stick out @ the tail light catching on something... Only question I have is.. if I was to do a mag mount I know ideally in the middle of the roof is ideal, but I plan on having a rack on my roof at some point, so will either in front of the rack, behind the rack or maybe even the mag on the roof and the ant, sticking up through the rack... how will that work as far as any kind of interference or loss of signal??

xjzaped
12-20-2014, 01:15 PM
I've read quite a few folks that ran the K40 setup with no issues even on tight trails and low hanging branches... Was thinking about running something like that on my 97, as I'm a bit worried about the mounts like I had before that stick out @ the tail light catching on something... Only question I have is.. if I was to do a mag mount I know ideally in the middle of the roof is ideal, but I plan on having a rack on my roof at some point, so will either in front of the rack, behind the rack or maybe even the mag on the roof and the ant, sticking up through the rack... how will that work as far as any kind of interference or loss of signal??

It'll throw it off a bit but not too badly. You might look into a hood channel mount if you're wary of a taillight mount. Very common in the commercial radio industry (not as common as far as seeing it ran by hams) and is a good, cheap mount.

I will say, NMO antennas are the optimal choice for off road use. Low stress, light weight and generally run around $30 for a 27 MHz antenna. $20 for the NMO mount with coax and then another $8 for the hood channel bracket. There is a reason it is the standard mount for public safety communications equipment.

Here's a hood channel mount with a Larsen NMO27 (goes to a Cobra 25 LTD) on my XJ. It's out of the way and you can see what you're about to hit with your antenna.
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg586/zap_uh_lack/3eb1317a-26f5-4207-befd-ae5ed1640f7f_zps0c093522.jpg

Mudderoy
12-20-2014, 01:39 PM
Fun seeing all the HAM stuff.

xjzaped
12-20-2014, 02:53 PM
Fun seeing all the HAM stuff.

What ham stuff? :rolleye0012:

I've got regular plates and TxDOT stickers on my XJ.

Let me rephrase that, regular plate…never have put the front one on.

Mudderoy
12-21-2014, 05:23 AM
What ham stuff? :rolleye0012:

I've got regular plates and TxDOT stickers on my XJ.

Let me rephrase that, regular plateā€¦never have put the front one on.

You didn't know that 11 meters was originally a HAM band?!?!?! Shame on you! :P

xjzaped
12-21-2014, 09:09 AM
You didn't know that 11 meters was originally a HAM band?!?!?! Shame on you! :P

Not in my lifetime. lol I've seen way too many FT-101EE's to remind me that it was. I will say, that NMO27 on my XJ is wideband enough for both 10 and 11.

I mostly play on FM stuff though. Never really caught the HF bug.

bluedragon436
12-22-2014, 04:23 PM
So quick question... If I was to pick up ant mount for the tail light.. should I pick up one for drivers side or passenger side?? Which would be a better option as far as signal and also for trail use??

prerunner1982
12-22-2014, 04:32 PM
I would go with whichever one you think will survive more on the trail, maybe whichever one you can see better to make sure you keep if off the trees. I have mine mounted on the driver side to keep my antenna (102") out of the trees that overhang the side of the road. On driver's side also makes it easier for me to get out and tie it down. Not as much of an issue with shorter antennas though.

As far as signal... for "trail" use neither is better than the other. The signal will be skewed slightly to the opposite direction from where it is mounted. Passenger rear will be skewed towards the drivers front and vise verse. This is really helpful if you are driving down the road as your signal is skewed towards oncoming traffic rather than off the other side of the road.