PDA

View Full Version : Guages not working/no buS Short perhaps?

hurley842002
08-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Hello all,

I have had a Gauge problem for the last couple months, and have tried my hand at fixing it a couple times, I'm on vacation this week, so i'm trying to get this fixed along with some other odds and ins i've been meaning to get too. Vehicle is a 99 Cherokee Sport, with the good gauge cluster (no dummy lights). To give a rundown on whats happening. I'll turn the key into the on postition (to where the fuel gauge, voltometer, and odometer should read) and nothing happens, i'll then start the vehicle (to where the tach, oil preasure, and temp gauges should be reading), the odometer reads the last known mileage before the problem occured, and after about 30-45 seconds shows a no buS code, Then the Check Engine and Airbag light come on. I understand this is common when your crankshaft position sensor goes out, however that would keep the Jeep from running, and it runs great (knock on wood). I also understand that the connections at the rear of the gauges are known to be problematic, I've removed the cluster and checked, cleaned, and put Di-electric grease on them, to no avail.

I've been at a loss, until the other night when I started the vehicle and then unlocked the doors to let my GF in (usually unlock the doors before I start the vehicle), and noticed all of the gauges except the tach and speedo started working, I then messed with the lock switch some more, and the tach and speedo tried to work as well, along with the odometer reading and airbag light went off. As long as i'm messing with the switch, the gauges are working/trying to work, but as soon as I stop, the guages stop and odometer goes back to no buS. Needless to say, i'm COMPLETELY LOST, but assuming there must be some sort of a short in the system somewhere. Anybody know where on earth in the vehicle, the doorlocks would have anything to do with the gauges???? ANY help would be appreciated, and sorry for the extra long post, but I wanted to make clear that I've tried all the other fixes that the SEARCH feature has lead me too. Thanks in advance for any help.

Dan

Primo
08-05-2009, 12:25 AM
I had the same thing going on and I too was at a loss untill my brother in law (who is a bad *** mechanic) found a T.S.B. on it one day. I have a 2000 and it was actually a recall on mine, I guess the idiot that owned it befor me missed it tho . Anyhoo it has to do with the molex clip, that is the plug that you packed with di electric greese . It was a mass recall , like they wanted all of them replaced, mine didn't even start acting up untill 2007 , so I guess it lasted 7 years. any way I went to the jeep store and told the part guy about the no bus and what iy was doing and he knew what I needed before I was even done explaning it to him.
Here is the bad thing you have to replace the whole molex it comes as a set of pigtails and one by one you have to clip the wires and wire in the new. long and painfull!!!!!!!!! it sucked but it was the fix.

on mine I could push the trip button and they would work for a while, I think its just a voltage drop type thing that makes the switch do tricks with it.
Anyway paid like 80 bucks or something like that and did it on a day off (LONG!!!!)

Hope it helps if they treat you like an idiot and don't know what your talking about let me know my parts guy is bomb and I can get the part # for you.
P.S. Don't forget proper refreashments!!!

hurley842002
08-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks alot Primo, I recieved info earlier on about the TSB, yet I was still hesitant because the whole door lock issue was making me second guess the info. Needless to say, curiosity got to me, so I called up the local Jeep dealer and inquired about it, they quoted me $11.19 for the connector (I was expecting some outragous price, knowing Mopar). At that price it was worth a shot. Either A) I get the problem fixed, and have the updated connector, or B) I don't get it fixed, but still have the updated connector. It was a win/win either way for $11.19. So needless to say, I could have had this problem solved, long ago had I not read into the problem too much. Oh well, lesson learned. Thanks again

Dan

Primo
08-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks alot Primo, I recieved info earlier on about the TSB, yet I was still hesitant because the whole door lock issue was making me second guess the info. Needless to say, curiosity got to me, so I called up the local Jeep dealer and inquired about it, they quoted me $11.19 for the connector (I was expecting some outragous price, knowing Mopar). At that price it was worth a shot. Either A) I get the problem fixed, and have the updated connector, or B) I don't get it fixed, but still have the updated connector. It was a win/win either way for $11.19. So needless to say, I could have had this problem solved, long ago had I not read into the problem too much. Oh well, lesson learned. Thanks again

Dan

WOW holy crap I got screwd It was like 56.00 and that was the best price I could find!!!
any way always glad to help let me know if it gets you fixed!

hurley842002
08-06-2009, 12:56 AM
WOW holy crap I got screwd It was like 56.00 and that was the best price I could find!!!
any way always glad to help let me know if it gets you fixed!

I guess I failed to mention in my earlier rant, it did get me fixed. After about an hour of soldering and heat shrink tubing. Good thing I enjoy soldering.

Primo
08-06-2009, 01:59 PM
I guess I failed to mention in my earlier rant, it did get me fixed. After about an hour of soldering and heat shrink tubing. Good thing I enjoy soldering.

Yeah I like soldering too but a painfull task none the less. Glad it got you fixed!!! I hope its not to hot there caus it was here when I did mine and flooding your xj with swet makes it hard to work!