PDA

View Full Version : Who Has A High Flow Water Pump??

Melissa
08-04-2009, 01:32 AM
I know mudderoy does, does anyone else??

I have heard that sometimes when you put a high flow water pump on, the pump is pushing so much coolant that the radiator hoses collaps in on themselves and cut the flow off completely, has anyone ever heard this, or has had this happen??

Mudderoy have you had any issues with yours? are you happy with it??

Also what temp is the OEM thermostat? I am thinking I remember someone saying it was a 195??

This past sunday was the final straw for me and now I am going to replace my water pump, thermostat, radiator ( even though the one on is brand new ), fan clutch, and coolant temp sensor :mad:

Sunday after my house A/C broke I decided to drive up to the tri cities to get a new one. The outside temps were around 108, I was on the freeway doing 65mph with no a/c on and my temp gauge would go back and forth from 155 to 240. I was at a constant speed on a flat freeway, this does not make any sense, so I am going to change all these and hope it fixes WTF is going on.

If all this fails to correct my heating up issue, anyone want to buy a 93 jeep cherokee country?? :rotfl2:

Mudderoy
08-04-2009, 06:08 AM
I would be really surprised if the coolant temp was going between 150 and 240. You don't mention how quickly it was making these changes. I think you need to verify what the temps really are. I used a IR scanner on mine. A mechanical gauge would work but you may need a thermostat housing that accepts a temp sensor/probe, or two.

You know I recently found out my OEM gauge and sensor are HIGHLY inaccurate.

ol"blue
08-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Find you an OEM lower hose with the spring inside. It prevents the hose from collapsing in high suction/vacuum conditions. FI 4.0L's use a 195* t-stat.

This might apply to your heat issue. http://jeephorizons.com/tech/xj_cooling.html

BlueXJ
08-04-2009, 10:11 AM
I had a Hesco pump but it didn't last very long (1 year) so I replaced it with a NAPA pump which has been on for about 2.5 years.

quadracer0387
08-04-2009, 11:47 AM
my flow kooler is suppose to have a warrenty for a lifetime!!! lol

you need the lower hose to have a spring

Mudderoy
08-04-2009, 11:51 AM
I had a Hesco pump but it didn't last very long (1 year) so I replaced it with a NAPA pump which has been on for about 2.5 years.

They didn't replace it? $167 for 1 year?!?!?!
:bsflag:

Melissa
08-04-2009, 02:28 PM
I would be really surprised if the coolant temp was going between 150 and 240. You don't mention how quickly it was making these changes. I think you need to verify what the temps really are. I used a IR scanner on mine. A mechanical gauge would work but you may need a thermostat housing that accepts a temp sensor/probe, or two.

You know I recently found out my OEM gauge and sensor are HIGHLY inaccurate.

I remember that your OEM gauge and sensor were highly inaccurate.

Is the sensor your talking about the same as my coolant sensor?

It's a four hour round trip to the tri cities and back and my gauge went back and forth from the 155 to 240 at least 12 times, that would make it heating up to 240 every 15 minutes on the freeway, when I got to the stop and go traffic it would stay up at the 240 temp. The final leg of my trip home going up my driveway it heated past the 240 and was a needle with right below the red overheat part of my gauge.

I don't have a IR scanner, but my gauge is the original, I don't have the money to take it in to the shop, nor do I trust it right now to go very far.

I have most the parts to start changing everything I listed.

I don't know what else to do

BlueXJ
08-04-2009, 04:54 PM
They didn't replace it? $167 for 1 year?!?!?!
:bsflag:

I didn't even try because the impeller blades were aluminum and were not very stiff. So I took it as a learning experience and bought a normal pump with a cast impeller.

96xj
08-05-2009, 03:34 PM
that's what mine was doing and it was fine around town but @ 65-75 MPH the temp would go up 240 as well , I would change the pick up coil cause if its bad your driving @ 3000RPM but your rig saids that its only running @ 2000rpm get it? here is a list of things i replaced but may didn't have to but i live by motto if is not broken replace it anyways before i get stuck in the middle of B.F.E:rotfl2::rotfl2::smiley-talk024:
1.. water pump
2.. temp sensor
3.. fan clutch
4.. radiator
5.. thermostat
6..electric fan
7.. cap,router&wires & plugs
:smiley-talk024::smiley-talk024::smiley-talk024::smiley-talk024:
and now i cant get it to go over 210 :rotfl:

Melissa
08-06-2009, 08:07 PM
that's what mine was doing and it was fine around town but @ 65-75 MPH the temp would go up 240 as well , I would change the pick up coil cause if its bad your driving @ 3000RPM but your rig saids that its only running @ 2000rpm get it? here is a list of things i replaced but may didn't have to but i live by motto if is not broken replace it anyways before i get stuck in the middle of B.F.E:rotfl2::rotfl2::smiley-talk024:
1.. water pump
2.. temp sensor
3.. fan clutch
4.. radiator
5.. thermostat
6..electric fan

Thanks for the advice!!

Thats about the same list I have, and I am going to get started on it asap!

whowey
08-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Did you ever test the sensor?

Start with the easy stuff first...

BlueXJ
08-06-2009, 10:55 PM
1.. water pump
2.. temp sensor
3.. fan clutch
4.. radiator
5.. thermostat
6..electric fan

Did you replace all that at the same time? If you did then you don't know what particular piece was defective causing the overheating problem. Is that correct?

Melissa
08-07-2009, 02:25 AM
Did you ever test the sensor?

Start with the easy stuff first...

I didn't, I have no way of testing it, I's not that smart :rotfl2:

96xj
08-07-2009, 09:22 AM
the frist thing i would check is the radiedotor and flush out make sure the coils are clean then tenp sensor then the fan cluch and if no luck continue with the rest of the list

Mudderoy
08-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Mel think about getting a IR temp gun from Amazon. Fluke is what I got, it was about $85. You'll use it for all kinds of things, not just the Jeep.

They have others that are cheaper that are other brands. Fluke makes excellent electronic test equipment.

Melissa
08-07-2009, 02:35 PM
I've been looking at them, Home Depot has them for around $70

Mudderoy
08-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Maybe I've already posted this, but I have seen a picture of a thermostat housing that allows you to connect two temp sensors to it. I'll guess it's a $20 item, and a mechanical temp gauge would be $25, or $30, so that's about the same cost as the IR gun.

Personally I'd like to have both. :D

96xj
08-07-2009, 03:04 PM
do you hae a link to that site for the thermostat housing that allows you to connect two temp sensors and why would you need two sensors for ?

Mudderoy
08-07-2009, 03:06 PM
do you hae a link to that site for the thermostat housing that allows you to connect two temp sensors and why would you need two sensors for ?

No it was a picture I saw on a post. The post was probably on naxja.org.

I would look for overheat threads, they'll be a thousand of them though. :rotfl2:

whowey
08-07-2009, 05:09 PM
I didn't, I have no way of testing it, I's not that smart :rotfl2:

I posted it in the other thread(at least I think I did).....

I use a candy thermometer instead of a 'calibrated' thermometer...

I would think you would have a multi-meter laying around the ranch somewhere.

Thats all it takes to do it.

BlueXJ
08-07-2009, 05:29 PM
I've been looking at them, Home Depot has them for around $70

NAPA has them on sale until the end of the month for $54 just so you know.

Melissa
08-07-2009, 09:35 PM
I posted it in the other thread(at least I think I did).....

I use a candy thermometer instead of a 'calibrated' thermometer...

I would think you would have a multi-meter laying around the ranch somewhere.

Thats all it takes to do it.

You did post it and I printed it out. I do have a candy thermometer, and I do have a multi-meter around here somewhere, so if I can do it with those I'll give it a try.

okeedokee
08-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Hey Melissa do you stile run your cat cuz if you do and it plug it will cause your engine to run hot. Just a thought you might want to look into . plug cat mean hot engine
Duane

Melissa
08-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Hey Melissa do you stile run your cat cuz if you do and it plug it will cause your engine to run hot. Just a thought you might want to look into . plug cat mean hot engine
Duane

I have looked into that and found out that somewhere along the way, I'm thinking when I had my flowmaster muffler put on the cat was taken off, so I don't have one.

2000XJ
08-10-2009, 10:15 PM
You may want to reinstall that Cat, I know that here in Jersey it's a pretty decent fine if a cop catches you without one, and here you can't pass inspection w/o one either.

Melissa
08-12-2009, 02:23 AM
You may want to reinstall that Cat, I know that here in Jersey it's a pretty decent fine if a cop catches you without one, and here you can't pass inspection w/o one either.

Out where I am we are not DEQ inspected, so I legally don't have to have one

whowey
08-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Out where I am we are not DEQ inspected, so I legally don't have to have one

Incorrect.....

FEDERAL law requires every passenger vehicle manufactured after 1976 to be equipped with a catalytic convertor. Just because you live in a portion of your state where your state dept. of enviromental quality doesn't test or inspect, doesn't excuse you from the federal requirements. Removal of a working cat is punishable by up to 1 year in a Federal Prison and a $10,000 fine.

Light trucks and diesels are covered under different requirements.

Melissa
08-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Incorrect.....

FEDERAL law requires every passenger vehicle manufactured after 1976 to be equipped with a catalytic convertor. Just because you live in a portion of your state where your state dept. of enviromental quality doesn't test or inspect, doesn't excuse you from the federal requirements. Removal of a working cat is punishable by up to 1 year in a Federal Prison and a $10,000 fine.

Light trucks and diesels are covered under different requirements.

Okay I looked it up and made some calls, It is illegal in all fifty sates to run without a cat, but over where I am, we are not tested by DEQ, so I am going to keep running cat less and take my chances

novastique
09-07-2009, 02:16 AM
Ive also found a lot of muffler shops won't touch a 'cat-less' vehicle unless it leaves their shop with one, even in states without I/M laws