PDA

View Full Version : God, Christ, Holy Spirit/Ghost

TeXJ
08-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Are they one? If they are one, then what are they? If they are not one, explain.

Ok, so I like to see what makes people tick. I do not want this to be a bash fest. However, I think a healthy look at certain topics could be fun.

What think ye?

4.3LXJ
08-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Maybe a little church history is in order here before anyone comments yea or nay. The issue of the Trinity, a word not in the Bible, was up for grabs until 300 AD when at a council the bishops attending canonized the New Testament and the concept of the Trinity. After that, at some point slowly the Church accepted the divinity of Mary, mother of Jesus, and sort of a quadrinity if you will existed through the dark ages. When the Protestant Reformation came, just about everything went up for grabs by one group or another, including the concept of the Trinity. Some adhered to that, while others did not. The largest group of Protestants did not. While accepting the Divinity of Jesus, they did not equate him with equality to the Father and the Holy Spirit in many cases was thought to be an extension of God's presence. Fast forward to the 1800s in this country, that is where we were as a nation. Then in the early 1900s there was a movement to elevate Jesus to equality with the Father and then give the Holy Spirit the same status. So here we are today with the same idea, buy if you examine it, we are not all in agreement on what equality really is. So post away.

belvedere
08-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Well, consider this. Jesus claimed to be God ("I and the Father are One."). That means He was either truly God, a crazy man who thought He was God, or a liar.

TeXJ
08-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Well, consider this. Jesus claimed to be God ("I and the Father are One."). That means He was either truly God, a crazy man who thought He was God, or a liar.

This statement is what causes most of the confusion. I believe Christ was talking about purpose. They are one in purpose.

There are many instances where Christ prays to the Father.

belvedere
08-12-2012, 09:23 PM
I can see your point. However, what about John 1:1?

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." (NIV)

"The Word" is Jesus.

belvedere
08-12-2012, 09:28 PM
BTW, though I believe in the trinity, I certainly don't claim to fully understand it!

There have been many analogies attempting to explain it. One that makes some sense to me is this: even though I am one person, I am a son, a husband, a father. But like I said, I sure don't understand it completely. It is one of those things that I believe is taught in Scripture, and so I accept it by faith. For those who don't believe in it, I respect your view.

TeXJ
08-12-2012, 09:44 PM
That confusion is why there are so many churches.

Brasscatz
08-13-2012, 12:15 AM
It is my understanding, that Jesus is the Son of God making him a part of God. Maybe not exactly father/son like my father and myself, but Jesus was born of Mary and of God. In my mind, that makes Jesus a part of God, not one in the same, but rather an extension of God. A separate entity, but still the Lord.

This is a very difficult thing... it really tests a person's ability to put feeling into words! LOL!

4.3LXJ
08-13-2012, 12:34 AM
Hi folks. You have opened up a difficult subject for some to comprehend. Something I have not talked about on this forum before is that I teach Bible to a bunch of knowledgeable folks. so something I have to say first is that I have been watching this thread closely so no one gets offended by what someone else believes. That is why I posted a little church history on this subject to demonstrate that most denominations are still evolving a little in their beliefs on this subject. So share away. But I will also state that this is a difficult subject for some to wrap their mind around regardless of the reasoning used. There have been some good points made here by all. But also I have to say you have only scratched the surface of this subject. To fully understand it, you will have to combine all of the points made. So post away.

ArmyGuy45
08-13-2012, 02:04 AM
What I dont understand is how is current Christianity right and all religions of the past wrong? So we have it right now, but not back then? What happen to those back then who didnt get a chance to "know" God?

Those who are Christians. How old do you think the Earth is? 6000 years, 10000 years, 1 mill or 1 bill?

belvedere
08-13-2012, 07:01 AM
Those who are Christians. How old do you think the Earth is? 6000 years, 10000 years, 1 mill or 1 bill?

Personally, I believe the earth is around 7000 years old. I think that God created the earth "aged", and likewise with Adam (IOW, if you saw Adam the day after God created him, you'd see an adult male, not a one-day-old baby). However, I know Christians who think that the earth is much older, and don't take the account in Genesis as literally as I do.

That said, maybe this would be a good topic for a new thread, so we don't hijack this one.

belvedere
08-13-2012, 07:04 AM
So we have it right now, but not back then?

Could you expand on this a little? How far back? Just want to clarify what you mean.

The Bible teaches that people have been saved throughout human history.

ArmyGuy45
08-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Could you expand on this a little? How far back? Just want to clarify what you mean.

The Bible teaches that people have been saved throughout human history.

Cave man days. Egyptians days. Days before Christianity and Jesus. The days of BC.

ArmyGuy45
08-13-2012, 07:16 AM
Personally, I believe the earth is around 7000 years old. I think that God created the earth "aged", and likewise with Adam (IOW, if you saw Adam the day after God created him, you'd see an adult male, not a one-day-old baby). However, I know Christians who think that the earth is much older, and don't take the account in Genesis as literally as I do.

That said, maybe this would be a good topic for a new thread, so we don't hijack this one.

It is a far reach to say that you have the blacks in Africa, Asians in Asia, whites in Europe and the Indians in the Americas in 7000 years? Much less time if you go off of Noah and the Ark.

4.3LXJ
08-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Hey Matt, Creation is a big subject and another one that has a full spectrum of responses. And I think that it deserves its own thread.

ArmyGuy45
08-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Hey Matt, Creation is a big subject and another one that has a full spectrum of responses. And I think that it deserves its own thread.

Yes it is. I got kicked out of church for asking to many questions. Many still unanswered.

4.3LXJ
08-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Perhaps I can answer some for you if you want to start a new thread