PDA

View Full Version : OK Two questions ?? Everyone look please!!!

Primo
08-03-2009, 10:41 PM
OK So I need help Im sick of the same crap that doesn't last!!!
Two opinions of mine are,
A. A life time warenty does not mean it is a good part! redoing the job sooner than needed is BS!!!
And
2. Price doesn't make the part better, Cheaper or more expensive only good parts can be called good parts.

Ok here they are
1. What kind of u joints do you prefer, what have you had the best luck with/what has lasted the longest for you?

B. What kind of berrings do you prefer, what have you had the best luck with/what has lasted the longest for you?

The reason I ask is I have done rear drive line u joints twice in the last year, first time was life time warenty autozone u joints, they suck bad and thus the second change occured. This time to spicer u joints, no let down yet and there very quiet. BUT I need to do the front axle u joint soon, since the XJ is collecting cob webs. Yes they are that bad!!!
Also I have done dif berrings twice as well, and am going to need to do it again when I replace the true track with a new one next month,I havn't been to impressed with the two brands I have used.

So please help me choose the right stuff.

BlueXJ
08-03-2009, 10:46 PM
1- Spicer
2- Timkin

whowey
08-03-2009, 11:18 PM
I've used Spicer U-joints.. but they are kinda a pain to get for me. So I normally get the Greasable Brute Force ones from O'Reillys.

Bearings... Timken... and as a back-up.. Timken....

Mudderoy
08-04-2009, 12:15 AM
1- Spicer
2- Timkin

Those are the ONLY one's I put on my rig, at least so far. I don't buy parts from autozone.

Melissa
08-04-2009, 01:11 AM
Well, I am no help, I am still on the original u joints and original berrings

Don't hate me :scared0016:

ol"blue
08-04-2009, 08:30 AM
1- Spicer
2- Timkin

X3 You get what you pay for.

Primo
08-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Those are the ONLY one's I put on my rig, at least so far. I don't buy parts from autozone.

Yeah I don't normally either but I was a couple days from deer hunt and deer hunt with no jeepy, No good!!! They were the only ones I could get. the place I get the spicers from was out witch was crazy but nun the less that was the pickle I was in.

It's good to know I havn't been steered wrong on the spicer's!!!
Timken HUH ? I need to check them out.

Primo
08-04-2009, 07:31 PM
X3 You get what you pay for.

X3 huh??? What and where??? Im guessing berrings?

Primo
08-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Well, I am no help, I am still on the original u joints and original berrings

Don't hate me :scared0016:

No one will ever hate you for that, except maybe your jeep for not wheeling it enough!!!:D

ol"blue
08-04-2009, 07:46 PM
X3 huh??? What and where??? Im guessing berrings?

If you buy cheap u-joints and/or bearings you might save a little money at the time of purchase, but you lose in the long run when the cheaper part fails long before the quality part would have. Not to mention, it will probably fail at a time when you are either far from help, or far from home. Usually taking other parts out with it when it fails. Making the small savings end up costing you much more in the long run. JMO
Dan

Voldemort
08-05-2009, 12:32 AM
I have gotten spicer parts from autozone? My lower CA bushings came from auto zone and they where spicer and where the cheapest.

Mudderoy
08-05-2009, 01:25 AM
I have gotten spicer parts from autozone? My lower CA bushings came from auto zone and they where spicer and where the cheapest.

If it works for you that's great. Any company that sells 5 alternators (ALL BAD) isn't doing good quality control. Everything else may be peachy, but I'm not going to be the Guinea pig.

muddeprived
08-05-2009, 07:46 AM
www.rockauto.com

I get my bearings and u-joints from them. I used to run advance and autozone bearings but that was a mistake. Even though they have lifetime warranties, they SUCK. I can't count how many of them I replaced but I'm a mudder so......

My last set of timkin bearings lasted over 1.5 years so that was GOOD.....for me. :)

Primo
08-05-2009, 02:36 PM
www.rockauto.com

I get my bearings and u-joints from them. I used to run advance and autozone bearings but that was a mistake. Even though they have lifetime warranties, they SUCK. I can't count how many of them I replaced but I'm a mudder so......

My last set of timkin bearings lasted over 1.5 years so that was GOOD.....for me. :)

Yup that was what I got they sucked right from the first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:thumbdown:

muddeprived
08-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Are you replacing the bearings yourself? How tight do you put the hub nut on? There is a specific torque spec for this nut.

Primo
08-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Are you replacing the bearings yourself? How tight do you put the hub nut on? There is a specific torque spec for this nut.

Yup got my trusty Snapon torque wrench by my side at all times! Plus My bro in law helps me set the lash and stuff so yeah it's purely crapy berrings that have screwd me!!!!!

2000XJ
08-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Spicer U-joints and Timken Bearings for me as well. I prefer non-greasable u-joints because it's one less maintenance thing to have to worry about, and I find that they last a considerably good amount of time as well.

Check out Extreme Axle Sales - Doug (the owner) is a great guy to deal with and typically has everything in stock and ready to ship.

oderdene
09-02-2009, 10:34 AM
spicer & timken

i bought my front axle u-joint; ball joint kit; outer axle bearing from http://www.jeep4x4center.com

warrpath4x4
09-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Spicers are good but if you want an even better u-joint, one that's rebuildable. CTM u-joints. But they are spendy.

I don't know if I've ever heard a good review for autozone.

4.3LXJ
09-08-2009, 10:47 PM
I have always used Spicer u joints when possible. They make a standard and heavy duty. The heavy duty sounds like the way to go right? Not really. The heavy duty joints are rated for higher horsepower and have larger crosses. This means they have smaller needle bearings. I used to go through these in the mud, although it must be said that in NW OR we did a lot of mudding. But my buddy that has a 4X4 shop told me to use the standard cross with the larger needle bearings. These lasted much longer. In fact, I can't remember replacing them.

xj4lifetwo
09-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Neapco u joints and BCA bearings

TXstiGUY
09-22-2009, 10:33 PM
I don't know if I've ever heard a good review for autozone.
Hector from the 1st fast and curious " he's goin legit holmes!"

But seriously spicer makes a good product for the money and so does timken I use them on my XJ and my :scared0016: YJ don't tell any one.

BlueXJ
09-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Dan you summed that up nicely. Thanks.

Mudderoy
09-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Neapco u joints and BCA bearings

I'll have to look those up, thanks!