PDA

View Full Version : Help me build my Jeep.

ArmyGuy45
08-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Here are my specs:
Sales Code Description
*XJ Cloth Low-back Bucket Seats
-AZ Agate
AA7 Limited Value Group II
ADAP Light Group
APAS Monotone Paint
AWHP Power Equipment Group
AWS Smoker's Group
A20P 4.0L Engine(ERH)/4Sp Auto Trans(DGS
BASS 124 Amp Alternator
BCDS 500 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BGK 4-Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes
CACP Low Back Bucket Seats
CBWS Highline Door Trim Panel
CDBS Reclining Front Seats
CFMS Rear Folding Seat
CF4S Child Seat Upper Tether Anchorages
CGGS Traveling Inboard Seat Belt Buckle
CGWS Next Generation Front Air Bags**
CKAS Carpets - Floor and Cargo Area
CKNS Cargo Compartment Carpet
CKTS Cargo Tie Down Loops
CKXS Midgate Box Access
CLES Front & Rear Floor Mats
CSAS Spare Tire Cover
CSC Cargo Compartment Cover
CSRS Passenger Assist Handles
CSSS Illuminated Rear Assist Handles
CUFS Full Length Floor Console
CUN Overhead Console
CUXP Front & Rear Ash Trays
DGBS All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGS 4-Speed Automatic AW4 Transmission
DHAP Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHNS Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System
DHSP Floor Mount Automatic Shift Lever
DJKS Dana 30/181MM Front Axle
DMDS 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
DRMS Dana 35C/194MM Rear Axle
EAAC All Engines
ERH 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
GAL Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GEEP Deep Tint Sunscreen Liftgate Glass
GFAS Rear Window Defroster
GNAS Rear View Day/Night Mirror
GNCP Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors
GTS Power Heated Mirrors, Fold-Away
GVBC All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
GXMP Remote Keyless Entry
HAAP Air Conditioning
HGDS Deluxe Insulation Group
I25S Route 25 - NS, Winston-Salem, NC
JAYS Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JBFS Instrument Panel Black Bezel
JCDS 100 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JHBS Rear Window Wiper/Washer
JJAP Cigar Lighter
JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns
JJJS 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
JPAP Power Windows
JPBP Power Locks
JPS Power 6-Way Driver Seat
K2QS Stripe/Badge/Moldaing Color
K3QS Stripe/Badge/Molding Color
LAJS Headlamps On Warning Chimes
LBBP Courtesy Lamps
LDAP Underhood Lamp
LHDP Headlamp Off Time Delay
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
LNJ Fog Lamps
LPSS CHMSL Lamp
MBLS Body Color Front Bumper
MBMS Carbon Roof Duct Bezels
MBTS Body Color Rear Bumper
MBWS Carbon Rear Spolier
MCAS Carbon Rear Diffuser w/o Strakes
MDA Front License Plate Bracket
MFBS Body Color Headlamp Bezels
MFKS Body Color Grille
MHAS Black Windshield Moldings
MMCS Rear Qtr Solid Window Insert
MMGS Belt Moldings
MMKS Body Color Drip Trough Molding
MNAS Black Door Handles
MNNS Body Color License Plate Brow
MVCS Jeep Badge
MVDS 4X4 Badge
MWGS Roof Rack
MXJA Custom ACR Driver Stripe
MZCS Cherokee Badge
MZFS 4.0L Badge
MZGS Limited Badge
NAS 50 State Emissions
NBKS EVAP Control System
NBVP Low Emission Vehicle (LEV)
NFAS 20 Gallon Fuel Tank
NHM Speed Control
PBQ Steel Blue Pearl Coat
QBQS Steel Blue Pearl Coat
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RAZ AM/FM Cassette Compact Disc Radio
RCG 6 Speakers
RDDS Fixed Long Mast Antenna
SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering
SCGS Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
SDAS Normal Duty Suspension
SHAS Front Stabilizer Bar
SHCS Front and Rear Stabilizer Bars
SUAP Tilt Steering Column
TBCS Compact Spare Tire
TBLS Inside Mounted Spare Tire
TRQS P225/70R16 BSW Wrangler HP Tires
TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires
WDFS 16X7.0 Alum "Icon" Silver Wheels
WLZC All Aluminum Wheels
XCYS Delete Remote Start System
XJFS Tethered Fuel Filler Cap
XPFS Protective Coating and Remover
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

I want to have 33's and I wish I could make my Cherokee a stick. I will need an upgraded cooling system for the crappy head or a head replacement. State which one you think would be better to do. Also if you could include price with the build. I plan to do mild bouldering, lots of mud, and plenty of trails. I do want a rack on top so I have room for my gear. From my calculations it will be about $6K worth of parts and no idea for labor.

OrangeXJ
08-01-2012, 12:14 PM
If you want to run 33's you will need to re-gear it. Some where around 4:10 to 4:56. My son had 33's on his and he has 3:55's and you could hardly ever use 5th gear. Now he has 35's 4th gear is now to use tough. We are getting 4:56's for it.
Parts and labor installed at the shop I deal with $1300

ArmyGuy45
08-01-2012, 12:22 PM
If you want to run 33's you will need to re-rear it. Some where around 4:10 to 4:56. My son had 33's on his and he has 3:55's and you could hardly ever use 5th gear. Now he has 35's 4th gear is now to use tough. We are getting 4:56's for it.
Parts and labor installed at the shop I deal with $1300

What is the max tires for my axles? What gears would you use?

denverd1
08-01-2012, 01:13 PM
"max tire size" is subjective. you'll find guys that have been running 35's on stock axles and claim to have never had a problem. IMO it depends on if your axle is locked or not. open diffs, it doesn't matter as the diff is gonna spin the wrong tire. If locked, it depends on how much skinny pedal you use. Baby it and you'll be fine. Lay on it and you'll twistpersonally I wouldn't go past 33's on stock axles and would likely regear to 4.56. Seems like the sweet spot on these rigs so if you spend the money on gears, I pesonally wouldn't stop at 4.10.
here's the chart if you haven't seen it:
http://www.superlift.com/library/gears.asp

OrangeXJ
08-01-2012, 01:46 PM
What is the max tires for my axles? What gears would you use?

All depends on wht kind of wheelin you are going to do. My son has 35's on stock axeles with a standard. But he does not wheel like I do. I have crome molly axles with 37's with lockers ( his is locked too ) and he breaks axles or drive shafts or smokes the clutch when he trys to crawl with me. He is fine with it being a dd and runing trails or mud. As for your question if your not going to beat it you will be fine with 35's and 4:56. Keep in mind you will need at least 6" of lift and other mods to run that size of tire.

bluedragon436
08-01-2012, 06:06 PM
I would def. say you can run 33's on stock axles as long as you aren't locked, and will even make it with 3.55's... but I would only run those gears until you can afford to pick up some new gears either 4.10's or 4.56's... I am wanting to pick up new gears for my XJ for the 33's I am running. I have almost 7.5" of lift and have no clearance issues with the 33's. You can run a lesser lift with the 33's, with proper bumpstoping and clearancing your fenders some if that is an option you want or can do.. You can always pick up some cut out fender flares like the BushCracker flares, or a better version of them from one of our vendors jdougn (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4036) for an awesome price. I would like to say it is not too bad of a deal for lifting and building up your XJ, especially if you can do some or even all of the work yourself with a few friends help... I have been able to find quite a few folks that have been able to help me do installs on stuff that I wasn't fully sure about, and saved myself quite a bit of money in the process.. Look forward to seeing the progress of your XJ as you modify it to the way you want it!!

4.3LXJ
08-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Yes, 33s on non locked axle

ArmyGuy45
08-02-2012, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the advice. I do plan to lock since 4x4 isnt the same without them:D

Thats a crazy amount of lift for 33's. Wranglers dont have to go that high for those tires. Is it because of the XJ fenders and thats it?

With going up 7.5 inches I would assume new drive shafts and lowering the tranny to keep everything in line. Does the XJ become top heavy and sway a lot in turns with it going up that high?

Also when upgrading the tires, what do you do to fix the speedo?

OrangeXJ
08-02-2012, 10:41 AM
lifting it that high you are going to need a SYE as far as the spedo check this out

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4398&highlight=gear+chart

4.3LXJ
08-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the advice. I do plan to lock since 4x4 isnt the same without them:D

Thats a crazy amount of lift for 33's. Wranglers dont have to go that high for those tires. Is it because of the XJ fenders and thats it?

With going up 7.5 inches I would assume new drive shafts and lowering the tranny to keep everything in line. Does the XJ become top heavy and sway a lot in turns with it going up that high?

Also when upgrading the tires, what do you do to fix the speedo?

Any amount of decent lift on that rig will require a Slip Yoke Eliminator kit. Just plan on it. It will cure a lot of problems for you anyway and is a good upgrade.

KH96XJ
08-02-2012, 09:03 PM
I run 33"s on something between 3-4" of lift on locked axles, previous owner did the lift so I don't know how much it really is, but the fenders are trimmed and I do get a little rubbing when the fronts are stuffed. So far I haven't had the rears rub that I know of. Once I wear the BFG A/Ts I have on it out I will probably either go down to 32"s or bump the lift up to 5-6"s on a bastard pack/T-bird coils, with supporting mods and stay with 33"s. For what I do right now I have no problem with the current setup other than adjusting the bump stops to make sure I don't rub.

This is not a daily driver, but when I do drive it on the street I make sure to not drive like I normally do to keep the tires from chirping on turns and go easy on the skinny pedal when the pavement is wet because of the lockers.

ArmyGuy45
08-03-2012, 03:12 AM
Is there really a big difference between 33's and 31's? It seems that I could "get away" with more stock stuff on 31's. This will be my DD and I would hate to put all the money in it and get T-boned and loose it all.

4.3LXJ
08-03-2012, 06:14 AM
31s are fine

ArmyGuy45
08-03-2012, 08:02 AM
31s are fine

For 31's, 3 inch lift? Would I still need a slip yoke? T case drop? Drive shaft extension? 4.10 gears?

denverd1
08-03-2012, 10:34 AM
For 31's, 3 inch lift? Would I still need a slip yoke? T case drop? Drive shaft extension? 4.10 gears?

nope. No steering parts either...

4.3LXJ
08-03-2012, 11:00 AM
You don't have to have 4.10s with 31s. However the factory had that gear ratio with the 4/V6. And it just happens to be a very good ratio for 31s. I currently have that tire size/ratio and I find it perfect. As far as the drive line goes, many people say you have to have an SYE, but I think I can set one up with no problem so it won't vibrate.

OrangeXJ
08-03-2012, 11:25 AM
I had 31's with a 4.5 lift 1" tcd and lockers stock axels running 3:55 with no problems. I went to 32's and could tell a big diffrence in a drop in preformace. and keep in mind where I live is flat tallest thing I go over is an overpass :D

bluedragon436
08-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Obviously with me sitting near 7.5" of lift, it is a bit more top heavy than stock... But it isn't too noticeable, even w/ "high speed" lane changes on the highway... Only time I really notice the height being an issue, is when it is windy out from the side, I have to fight to stay straight on the road a bit... I currently have a 1" TCD on my XJ with the close to 7.5" of lift, and have no vibe issues... but have ordered a SYE setup to install once I return back stateside in a few months.. As far as having the 33's and 3.55 gears, not the greatest setup, but I still have no issues shooting across a 4 lane main highway every day to and from work... it has no issues getting out of it's own way, or pulling any trailers that I would ever pull with it... but I am still wanting to go to either 4.10's or 4.56's as soon as I can afford the gears and install fees..