PDA

View Full Version : My "God Willing" Build

XJexpedition
07-12-2012, 10:34 PM
I find out tomorrow if I have this 95XJ. Plan on trading my 89 Mustang GT with 42k Original Miles and a ton of mods for it. Making this thread to just get opinions on what I have planned.

I won't know will I see it but I think it has a RC 4.5" or 5.5" Lift. More on that tomorrow.

So far I've found a local RC Long Arm Upgrade for $500
Snorkel Kit
ORFAB Quarter Panel Armor with Rail
Every Skid Plate they make for these things (Need suggestions on which to go with)
Replace aluminum with Steel Summit Black Soft 8 Lookalikes $175 for 4
I'd sell current wheels and tires to get those wheels and some 33x11.5x15 BFG KM2s
Rear bumper with swing out tire carrier to hold full size spare and extra water/gas cans (Suggestions)
XJ D44 Rear with Lock Rite Locker
Rebuilt D30 with stronger shafts and ARB Air Locker or Ected Locker
Nice strong roof rack

I have a Lincoln 110 Mig and I'm cheap so I'll prob build as much as I can myself to save money. This has to be dual purpose DD and Trail Rig. I think the axles have already been regeared and I'll find out tomorrow what gear ratio they have. The motor is a fresh rebuild with 20k miles and they supposedly have paperwork on motor and axles which again we'll see tomorrow.

XJ Wheeler
07-12-2012, 10:53 PM
I find out tomorrow if I have this 95XJ. Plan on trading my 89 Mustang GT with 42k Original Miles and a ton of mods for it. Making this thread to just get opinions on what I have planned.

I won't know will I see it but I think it has a RC 4.5" or 5.5" Lift. More on that tomorrow.

So far I've found a local RC Long Arm Upgrade for $500
Snorkel Kit
ORFAB Quarter Panel Armor with Rail
Every Skid Plate they make for these things (Need suggestions on which to go with)
Replace aluminum with Steel Summit Black Soft 8 Lookalikes $175 for 4
I'd sell current wheels and tires to get those wheels and some 33x11.5x15 BFG KM2s
Rear bumper with swing out tire carrier to hold full size spare and extra water/gas cans (Suggestions)
XJ D44 Rear with Lock Rite Locker
Rebuilt D30 with stronger shafts and ARB Air Locker or Ected Locker
Nice strong roof rack

I have a Lincoln 110 Mig and I'm cheap so I'll prob build as much as I can myself to save money. This has to be dual purpose DD and Trail Rig. I think the axles have already been regeared and I'll find out tomorrow what gear ratio they have. The motor is a fresh rebuild with 20k miles and they supposedly have paperwork on motor and axles which again we'll see tomorrow.

Nice list, it'll grow with time. :D Gotta tell my brother about this build as the "expedition" style is how he's building his. Can't wait to see the build-up.

The skidplates: For the t-case and fuel tank skids, i would go with Jcr. Their t-case skid is a good size for protection. Good prices for what ya get. Btw, one of the xjtalk vendors (Jeepin Outfitters) sells their stuff. Jks sell some nice lower control arm skids. Diff covers are a good idea too, but not necessities.

XJ4IV
07-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Nice setup... dont get me wrong I LOVE my XJ's... but you have a VERY rare gem in that mustang... Id keep the stang and find a fixer upper jeep... you WILL regret losing the fox body, I do... I had three of them total and 89 LX 5.0 with a supercharger had a 91 gt hardtop and had a 93 gt convertible... I miss the convertible LOTS but I think I miss the supercharger the most!

bigjim350
07-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Good list. However I'd just stick with a 8.25 rear axle, easy to find and will hold up to most wheeling. Hell it might already have one in it.

XJexpedition
07-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Nice setup... dont get me wrong I LOVE my XJ's... but you have a VERY rare gem in that mustang... Id keep the stang and find a fixer upper jeep... you WILL regret losing the fox body, I do... I had three of them total and 89 LX 5.0 with a supercharger had a 91 gt hardtop and had a 93 gt convertible... I miss the convertible LOTS but I think I miss the supercharger the most!

Now that I have a job, that is possible for me to keep the mustang. I might do just that, save and buy a XJ later down the road. The people had a death in the family and can't come see the car today. Who knows we'll see what happens.

Sent from my Rooted and Custom Motorola Photon using TapaTalk2 Pro

XJexpedition
07-13-2012, 08:13 PM
I REALLY like this 95 and it has a lot of mods done already that I wouldn't have to pay to do. It has a rebuilt motor and axles. But it's OBDI and I'm a built not bought kinda person. I like building from a stock platform so I don't have to "fix" others upgrades.

So how much is a clean stock 97 XJ worth?

With my job I just got I start at $9.50, not much but they are on a quota system. 79.9% Keeps me at $9.50, 89.9% Jumps me to 12.85 and so on. The cap is 160% which would be $23hr. So basically it's up to me how much money I make.

XJ4IV
07-13-2012, 09:38 PM
a stock 4.0 cherokee regular setup with cloth and power windows might go for about 4000-6000 I got my 92 for 1000 and it was bone stock when I got it, it was a laredo edition with power everything and leather but last year I decided to do a 90% late model upgrade changing out the front clip and fenders along with seats and center console and steering wheel... so cosmetically now my jeep only has a generation 1 dashboard and tailgate everything else is later model and really the OBD1 aint bad at all kinda easier to deal with the one thing you need to opt for is getting the 4.0 with the high output, I had an 87 that DIDNT have it and then I moved to this one that did and it was a nice little boost!

XJexpedition
07-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Might be trading for the 98 with 4.5" RC Lift, 178k miles, 5 new wheels and tires, only one rust spot on bottom corner of door, 4.0, Automatic, Clean Interior and OBDII.

http://img.tapatalk.com/425768f2-edfc-c732.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/425768f2-f1c1-ddc7.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/425768f2-f1dc-2014.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/425768f2-f1f2-527f.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/425768f2-f208-f8bd.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/425768f2-f227-5685.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/425768f2-f257-46ad.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/425768f2-f270-7b75.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/425768f2-f2a5-f4ab.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/425768f2-f2c5-16a8.jpg

I'm trying to get him to include an older Warn 8274 8000# Winch that looks rough and needs the controller cable.

Brasscatz
07-14-2012, 12:33 AM
I got my Stock 97 for $2,000 with 170k miles and I plan on getting another 150k miles out of it! I sold an '80 Trans Am that I restored with a buddy of mine and I regret selling that thing every single day.... I'm with Scott, if you can swing it, keep the mustang and get a stock XJ. Building up your XJ is half the fun in my opinion... like raising a child, you get to see it grow! LOL!

bigjim350
07-14-2012, 02:58 AM
Don't know why everybody wants obd2. I guess I could understand it if it had the aftermarket programing support that other obd2 vehicles had, but it don't. I prefer my obd1, much easier to fool it into running good when you start messing with stuff

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

XJexpedition
07-14-2012, 05:03 AM
Don't know why everybody wants obd2. I guess I could understand it if it had the aftermarket programing support that other obd2 vehicles had, but it don't. I prefer my obd1, much easier to fool it into running good when you start messing with stuff

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

"Sent from my nerdy smartphone" Why do you have a smartphone? Older phones work just as fine...lol Nah but in all seriousness I like having newest technology. With OBDII and Bluetooth Port Dongle I can get real time info using MY nerdy smartphone. They make tuners for Wrangler 4.0s, there is not one for the Cherokee?

XJexpedition
07-14-2012, 05:09 AM
As far as the Mustang thing goes, I can buy them way cheaper than a Jeep here. People want over NADA Retail for used Jeeps around here.

It's just a possession and in the 5+ yrs owning her I haven't put 1000 miles on her. She is fun, sexy and I've had fun but family comes first. Like I said I might end up keeping and buying a stock XJ to build, haven't made my mind up yet.

XJexpedition
07-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Ok new plan, I start my new job next week. The IRS is SUPPOSED to be sending me the 5G they owe me for tax return that I filed Feb 1st and am still waiting on!

Plan is to save money and find virgin 99+ XJ
5.5"-7.5" Long Arm Suspension (Suggestions)
Superchips Vivid Android Tuner
Cheap 15x10 3.75BS Black Rock Crawler Wheels x5
33x11.5 or 35x11.5 Depending on lift
XJ D44 Rear, Beefed up D30 up front with Air Lockers
Strongest Skid Plates
Custom Front and Rear Bumpers with Receiver Hitch for 8000# Winch
Custom Roof Rack
Maybe a custom ladder like Land Rovers have that go from Rack to Bumper
Snorkel Kit (Suggestions)
Body Armor/Tube Flares (Suggestions)

If anyone is close to Jacksonville, FL and wants to trade a nice 99+XJ for a 89 Mustang GT with 43k original miles, 2nd owner, built 347 for boost, WC T5, Equal Shorties, March Ram Air, 3" Cowl, Ford Motorsports 5-Lug Swap, Ford Motorsports 03 Cobra front and rear disc brakes (Special Edition Front Calipers), 5 17x9 FR500 Wheels, Autometer Center Gauge Pod with Autometer Water Temp/Oil PSI, Rare 160mph Speedometer, Rare Factory Saleen Momo Steering Wheel with cruise controls and much more hit me up... Until then looks like I'm saving up. If anyone comes across any good deals on 99+ XJs let me know. Thanks!

bigjim350
07-15-2012, 01:15 AM
Good plan, however i'd go with a 99 or older xj. The 00-01 are likely to have the 0331 head that is prone to cracking. Although most that had that head have already cracked by now and have been replaced, but still wouldnt take the chance.

Mudderoy
07-15-2012, 06:01 AM
I REALLY like this 95 and it has a lot of mods done already that I wouldn't have to pay to do. It has a rebuilt motor and axles. But it's OBDI and I'm a built not bought kinda person. I like building from a stock platform so I don't have to "fix" others upgrades.

So how much is a clean stock 97 XJ worth?

With my job I just got I start at $9.50, not much but they are on a quota system. 79.9% Keeps me at $9.50, 89.9% Jumps me to 12.85 and so on. The cap is 160% which would be $23hr. So basically it's up to me how much money I make.

About a year ago I purchased a stock 1999 XJ with 140k miles. $2400.

bigbuk29
07-15-2012, 06:14 AM
Good plan, however i'd go with a 99 or older xj. The 00-01 are likely to have the 0331 head that is prone to cracking. Although most that had that head have already cracked by now and have been replaced, but still wouldnt take the chance.

I think the 00-01 also had the low pinion dana 30 also

Mudderoy
07-15-2012, 06:16 AM
I think the 00-01 also had the low pinion dana 30 also

That is my understanding as well, but the 1999 has a distributor. The only real difference I can see on the 1999 from the 1998 is the curvy intake. It still uses the higher flowing heads, HP D30 and C8.25, I guess some could have been made with the Dana 35 but thank God the 1999 I found didn't come with one.

bigbuk29
07-15-2012, 06:31 AM
I'm pretty sure they switched by mid year to all 8.25's my buddy has one he got from his dad that was bought brand new in late 98 that has the turdy 5 in it, but I have seen guys go as big as 35's on em and do ok, a light foot can do wonders, my seems to have a mind of its own if you didnt make it the first time you just wasnt using enough skinny pedal :rolleye0012:

Mudderoy
07-15-2012, 06:33 AM
I'm pretty sure they switched by mid year to all 8.25's my buddy has one he got from his dad that was bought brand new in late 98 that has the turdy 5 in it, but I have seen guys go as big as 35's on em and do ok, a light foot can do wonders, my seems to have a mind of its own if you didnt make it the first time you just wasnt using enough skinny pedal :rolleye0012:

Yep, Steve (4.3lxj) has a Dana 35. We have the technology we can rebuild it! I'm just saying I'm glad I don't have one in the 98, or 99. I think that if ANY XJ has ABS it's is automatically a Dana 35.

The main problem with a C8.25 is the "C" clip, and if you swap to rear disc breaks that kind of takes care of the wheel walking out if you break an axle. :patriot:

bigbuk29
07-15-2012, 06:42 AM
yea, no abs on the 8.25's. never had any issues with mine yet, but I'm sure i will sometime, just hit 156,000, and when the kids are quiet and the radio is off i can hear a little whine when i let off the gas, for now i just find a good song on the radio and crank it but I'm pretty sure that solution will ultimately lead to :banghead:

Mudderoy
07-15-2012, 06:46 AM
yea, no abs on the 8.25's. never had any issues with mine yet, but I'm sure i will sometime, just hit 156,000, and when the kids are quiet and the radio is off i can hear a little whine when i let off the gas, for now i just find a good song on the radio and crank it but I'm pretty sure that solution will ultimately lead to :banghead:

I had 4.56 gears installed at about 100k miles. New engine with a nice cam in it should make it even more fun. :D I'm at 180k now.

bigbuk29
07-15-2012, 07:00 AM
I had 4.56 gears installed at about 100k miles. New engine with a nice cam in it should make it even more fun. :D I'm at 180k now.
the first xj I had was an 85 with 4cyl. and a stick shift, It had 220,000 on it when I got and and was pushing 300,000 when I sold it, and being on a high school budget I didnt change the oil but maybe once or twice a year, ran 30x9.50's on and went places it prob. should have never been, the springs sagged so bad in the back that on a big bump with people in the back the tires would rub, but I loved that thing, that would be how my love affair with jeeps started and also prepared me for feeling like I'm still on a high school budget sometimes:rolleye0018:

4.3LXJ
07-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Yep, Steve (4.3lxj) has a Dana 35. We have the technology we can rebuild it! I'm just saying I'm glad I don't have one in the 98, or 99. I think that if ANY XJ has ABS it's is automatically a Dana 35.

The main problem with a C8.25 is the "C" clip, and if you swap to rear disc breaks that kind of takes care of the wheel walking out if you break an axle. :patriot:

Yes, I have a locker and wheel in rocks. However I am staying at 31" tires till I put in my new axles. We will probably use it hard in August. We shall see. One thing is that I don't slam bang it. I have the gears to really creep and my opinion is that this is one secret to longer life with them. Also I have no C clips, which is the no. one failure in them.