PDA

View Full Version : EZ Paint for Wyomanche Project

xjrev10
07-03-2012, 04:03 PM
This the the truck in question.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10714

I plan to repaint the truck white. Im looking for a EZ way out on this one. I dont have shop air, no painting expirence, nadda.

Is there a good spray paint that I can lay on with a few coats of clear that will last? I figured by this day and age, there should be...I would like to wax this thing someday. (wow cant believe i just said that..)

I have a bit of body work to do, and a tiny bit of bondo work that is just covering heavy grinding marks.

This is what I would order today w/o asking first, but before I drop cash on the paint, I gotta see what folks have expirenced with this in the past.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SHW-DAL1675/

Also, if this is something that will work for me, how many cans? I would probably start with 15 cans of paint. I can get etching primer locally easy. I would probably get 6-8 cans of clear.
-plan for minimum 3 coats of paint and 3-5 coats of clear. Sound about right?

Thanks for yer help!

olds-cool
07-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Do some google searches for the $50 paint job. They use Rustoleum that you can find at pretty much any hardware store. You could also try the tractor and implement paint they sell at Tractor Supply or Interlux Brightsides boat paint. Both seem to self level pretty well, single stage (no clear coat needed), and are fairly cheap. Oh, and they are fuel resistant for those little gas pump mishaps. I've used both on my bikes. For the love of god, don't spend over $100 on rattle cans! You'll end up with a paint job that looks exactly like $100 worth of rattle cans. meaning tiger stripes all over the place. Remember that 90% of the paint job is in the prep. Paint is not a filler, filler is a filler. Take your time getting it all smooth before even touching it with paint.
Try this link (http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1) to get you started

xjrev10
07-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Do some google searches for the $50 paint job. They use Rustoleum that you can find at pretty much any hardware store. You could also try the tractor and implement paint they sell at Tractor Supply or Interlux Brightsides boat paint. Both seem to self level pretty well, single stage (no clear coat needed), and are fairly cheap. Oh, and they are fuel resistant for those little gas pump mishaps. I've used both on my bikes. For the love of god, don't spend over $100 on rattle cans! You'll end up with a paint job that looks exactly like $100 worth of rattle cans. meaning tiger stripes all over the place. Remember that 90% of the paint job is in the prep. Paint is not a filler, filler is a filler. Take your time getting it all smooth before even touching it with paint.
Try this link (http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1) to get you started

Thanks for posting. Every cheapass like me should read this before spending any money on paint. Awesome! Thank you! That link was just what I needed!

olds-cool
07-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Fellow cheapasses unite! LOL
By the way, I was in Tractor Supply yesterday and they changed to a different brand of implement paint. Not sure if its the same stuff with a new name or a totally new product. Just thought I'd mention it since I suggested it above.

xjrev10
07-06-2012, 05:51 AM
L and M Fleet Supply is the name of the place up here for goods like this. Imah gonna do it!

bluedragon436
07-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Fellow cheapasses unite! LOL
By the way, I was in Tractor Supply yesterday and they changed to a different brand of implement paint. Not sure if its the same stuff with a new name or a totally new product. Just thought I'd mention it since I suggested it above.

Talking to the manager at my local TSC, he said they went to a whole new company as the other company had some bad history, or some such issues as those... I had thought about picking up some JD green or one of the other darker greens they had for the implement paint and trying it out to repaint my XJ.. But I think I'll just wait a bit longer and have the local community college kats paint it, and pull the dents it does currently have... figure it will look nice and clean, until I hit the trails or mud with it for the first time after the paint job.. LOL