PDA

View Full Version : Mad Horse OffRoad Systems R&D Thread

Voldemort
07-29-2009, 11:21 PM
With our Tube Doors ready for sale(we have sold about 5 sets locally that were pre ordered & I have a set of Doors I made for my self with large custom spider web gusset that I will have pics of soon but if you want a set mail me @ bigbadxj@gmail) I have been doing some R D on what I will do next. I have ideas for some small armor products,but I have really been thinking of doing a Pre-Fabbed XJ Cage. It would be one style very simple cage that would come ready to be welded in. Something strong but hidden. What do you guys think of this? Any feed back will be taken.

P.S. We bought the MadHorse.com domain name now we just have to get our site up and going.

finneys98xj
07-29-2009, 11:27 PM
With our Tube Doors ready for sale(we have sold about 5 sets locally that were pre ordered but if you want a set mail me @ bigbadxj@gmail) I have been doing some R D on what I will do next. I have ideas for some small armor products,but I have really been thinking of doing a Pre-Fabbed XJ Cage. It would be one style very simple cage that would come ready to be welded in. Something strong but hidden. What do you guys think of this? Any feed back will be taken.

P.S. We bought the MadHorse.com domain name now we just have to get our site up and going.

To be honest before yall go and try to tackle BIG projects like a cage get some smaller items on the market, get a rep. that yall can be proud of all over the jeep world then tackle projects like those. Get some pieces of armor, Roof rack, and smaller things first. That way yall arent on the market with only One item, while yall design and test the cage.

Voldemort
07-29-2009, 11:56 PM
To be honest before yall go and try to tackle BIG projects like a cage get some smaller items on the market, get a rep. that yall can be proud of all over the jeep world then tackle projects like those. Get some pieces of armor, Roof rack, and smaller things first. That way yall arent on the market with only One item, while yall design and test the cage.

Thanks for your input. We have thought about making a few other smaller armor type things and we have a few designs and even one thing made, but to be honest with you we started doing this together in order to try and make things for ourselves that are way over priced for alot cheaper prices. Then we figured why not try and pass on the savings to others. Also there are like a thousand places that make Diff covers and stuff like that we want to try and tackle things that want but can't afford. Ya know? Your suggestion is very good and in most cases the right way and we may go that way but for now I think we are going to try something different and hopefully it will work.Thanks again for your post

Also the cage would still need to be welded in by the buyer so on our end it would just be like if we were making our own and keeping track of how to bend the pieces then going back and cutting and bending the tubes. Like the Doors the we wanted our own anyway and most of the work comes from the designing, trial and elimination,and keeping track of what worked. some of the pre-fabbed stuff I have seen were priced at $550-$850 is it me or doesn't that price seem a little high? I know I have not even started making one but I know that with the doors we were able to cut the price in half. So I think it seems like more than it is. You guys would be paying for the steel,shipping and handling,and our time bending and cutting. IDK? That is why I'm posting up and asking?;)

COSXJFAN
07-30-2009, 08:42 AM
It's all in the set up. Once you have that ironed out, repeating the process is the easy part. You guys would obviously be building them for your rigs first, and then offering them to us, the buyers, after you have worked out all of the BS that comes with design, trust me, I'm aware of the headaches involved!!LOL!! It sounds to me as if you are going about it the right way. Most, if not all, companies start off in business by offering a comparable product and a lower cost to the buyer than your competition. Unfortunately, what happens more time than not, is that once the "name" becomes established, the prices go up to the same level as the competition. Take Rock Krawler for example, they started out as a VERY affordable source for parts for the off road enthusiast. Now they are at least as expensive as everyone else, there is a bit of a problem there if you ask me!! I hope you guys plan to stay affordable, it could be your "niche" market. Offering affordable, well built, products for the Jeep crowd, HMMM, sounds like an excellent business model to me!!

:smiley-talk024:....sorry....:coffee::coffee::coffee: :D

Mudderoy
07-30-2009, 09:27 AM
What are the liabilities to building things for a vehicle that can have unforeseen issues? I think it's the protection against this risk that makes products more expensive. As far as Bushwackers go, I don't have an explanation. :rotfl2:

COSXJFAN
07-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Bushwackers, OMG, don't even get me started on them!! CHA-CHING!!! TOO MUCH F-ING MONEY for what you get, if you ask me!!

Mudderoy
07-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Bushwackers, OMG, don't even get me started on them!! CHA-CHING!!! TOO MUCH F-ING MONEY for what you get, if you ask me!!

They are a very nice product and look great, but they should be $200 not nearly $500.

kmanxj
07-30-2009, 11:48 AM
i like the cage idea!!! i want a cage bad and could do it myself if i had the tools but dont. And the T&J cage i like is like 600 bucks

finneys98xj
07-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks for your input. We have thought about making a few other smaller armor type things and we have a few designs and even one thing made, but to be honest with you we started doing this together in order to try and make things for ourselves that are way over priced for alot cheaper prices. Then we figured why not try and pass on the savings to others. Also there are like a thousand places that make Diff covers and stuff like that we want to try and tackle things that want but can't afford. Ya know? Your suggestion is very good and in most cases the right way and we may go that way but for now I think we are going to try something different and hopefully it will work.Thanks again for your post

Also the cage would still need to be welded in by the buyer so on our end it would just be like if we were making our own and keeping track of how to bend the pieces then going back and cutting and bending the tubes. Like the Doors the we wanted our own anyway and most of the work comes from the designing, trial and elimination,and keeping track of what worked. some of the pre-fabbed stuff I have seen were priced at $550-$850 is it me or doesn't that price seem a little high? I know I have not even started making one but I know that with the doors we were able to cut the price in half. So I think it seems like more than it is. You guys would be paying for the steel,shipping and handling,and our time bending and cutting. IDK? That is why I'm posting up and asking?;)

I would love a cage too, but the armor I'm talking about is the stuff they dont make anymore or have yet to make.

You could also try out a metal taillight housing, that is affordable and nice.

Lots of people would love to have a cage but dont have a welder or know someone that does. Lots of people say yea if you build it, I'll buy one then you get all that stuff to build them, then people back out and cant afford them anymore and yall the company have to sit on the product and loss money waiting on people to buy them while you only have tube doors on the market. If that makes sense to you. I just hate to see a small company starting out but then go under because they took on to big of projects without having more income coming in.

COSXJFAN
07-30-2009, 01:53 PM
They are a very nice product and look great, but they should be $200 not nearly $500.

Agreed!! They do look nice, but are very pricey!! I hear they break easy too, but this is just what I've heard...

Mudderoy
07-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Agreed!! They do look nice, but are very pricey!! I hear they break easy too, but this is just what I've heard...

If I was going somewhere that I expected them to make contact with something that could crack, or break them, I'd just spend the 10 minutes taking them off.

Voldemort
07-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks for all your input. Keep it coming.

ol"blue
07-30-2009, 04:34 PM
I think you have some good ideas for some products that are frequently asked about. Getting the word out is just as important as having a quality product at an affordable price. Good luck on your venture Big Guy. http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss68/DLHTURBO/beerchug.gif

whowey
07-30-2009, 07:54 PM
I'd be interested in a bolt-in/weld-in cage or cage type bars...

I don't have the money for the other one of the market(can't remember the name)..

And the thought of having anything with a weld from Rusty's in my rig scares the bejeezus outta me...

Two quick idea/questions... First.. don't forget us ZJ guys...

Second.. how about making it in stages?? Where you can buy the section that covers just the B-pillar(like rusty's) or A and B pillar coverage.. and be able to purchase the C-pillar and cargo area bars seperately.. So broke folks or ones that are back having their Jeeps don't have to buy and entire kit only to not use have of it...

I would be SERIOUSLY interested in something that covered the C-pillar of a ZJ. I want to turn mine into a SUT....

DETOURS
07-30-2009, 08:53 PM
I like your ambition........but it's best served when origanol, lets start with that socalxj drawing in your sig......I think it's trade marked. Next, think about the liabilities involved in a cage, are you working out of a personal garage, are you atleast an Llc, are you carry'in any insurance??

Ya, it's all a downer to talk about.......but the aftermarket is'nt and should'nt be considered a free for all without liability, because there 'is'.....liability.

Get establishished, set yourself up correctly, get your feet wet.........it's a wild wacky world out there. ;)

Voldemort
07-30-2009, 09:38 PM
I'd be interested in a bolt-in/weld-in cage or cage type bars...

I don't have the money for the other one of the market(can't remember the name)..

And the thought of having anything with a weld from Rusty's in my rig scares the bejeezus outta me...

Two quick idea/questions... First.. don't forget us ZJ guys...

Second.. how about making it in stages?? Where you can buy the section that covers just the B-pillar(like rusty's) or A and B pillar coverage.. and be able to purchase the C-pillar and cargo area bars seperately.. So broke folks or ones that are back having their Jeeps don't have to buy and entire kit only to not use have of it...

I would be SERIOUSLY interested in something that covered the C-pillar of a ZJ. I want to turn mine into a SUT....
My Partner just got a V8 ZJ the other day and if he can't keep it then I'll buy it from him either way we just got one to start working with. I like your idea's alot and will keep them in mind.

I like your ambition........but it's best served when origanol, lets start with that socalxj drawing in your sig......I think it's trade marked. Next, think about the liabilities involved in a cage, are you working out of a personal garage, are you atleast an Llc, are you carry'in any insurance??

Ya, it's all a downer to talk about.......but the aftermarket is'nt and should'nt be considered a free for all without liability, because there 'is'.....liability.

Get establishished, set yourself up correctly, get your feet wet.........it's a wild wacky world out there. ;)

Thanks for your input bro. The pic in my sig was not supposed to be a representation of our company or products I just liked it and wanted to change the one I had on there before I never stated nor intended to be our pic. We started this as a way to pay for the things we wanted and if they came out looking cool & being useful then maybe we can help guys out with the price of these products by selling them for a lower price, but we are doing this on the side and if it becomes big then great if not then I hope I could help some people out. I do have a personal Lawyer (for many reasons) and I have already spoken with him about such worries and prefer to keep those types of Business issues between him, my partner, and I, but thanks for your concern and we should not have any problems with that stuff.

quadracer0387
07-31-2009, 11:48 AM
how bout some sliders

ol"blue
07-31-2009, 12:24 PM
how bout some sliders

Yeah, and could they fit both XJ and ZJ? Or are they too dissimilar?

DETOURS
08-01-2009, 11:09 AM
We started this as a way to pay for the things we wanted and if they came out looking cool & being useful then maybe we can help guys out with the price of these products by selling them for a lower price, but we are doing this on the side and if it becomes big then great if not then I hope I could help some people out. I do have a personal Lawyer (for many reasons) and I have already spoken with him about such worries and prefer to keep those types of Business issues between him, my partner, and I, but thanks for your concern and we should not have any problems with that stuff.

All good, just suggesting small steps.......;)

Voldemort
08-01-2009, 11:15 AM
All good, just suggesting small steps.......;)

Thanks for your advice

BlueXJ
08-01-2009, 03:53 PM
BWers are for show more than go per my crowd. They look great but tires and even brush will rip them right off.
One Jeep that a buddy built and then sold had some flairs built around some electrical conduit that was the frame for it and some sheet metal as the actual flair. That set of flairs held up when the jeep was rolled on to it's side. They were very rugged. No cheap plastic toys on that Jeep. Wish he had kept it but he wanted to build a truggy and there was limited room and finances.

whowey
08-01-2009, 04:26 PM
BWers are for show more than go per my crowd. They look great but tires and even brush will rip them right off.
One Jeep that a buddy built and then sold had some flairs built around some electrical conduit that was the frame for it and some sheet metal as the actual flair. That set of flairs held up when the jeep was rolled on to it's side. They were very rugged. No cheap plastic toys on that Jeep. Wish he had kept it but he wanted to build a truggy and there was limited room and finances.

Mine are pieces of plastic lawn edging screwed into the fender... Covers the tire to meet vehicle code.. but if I ever manage to mangle one wheeling.. no worries...A roll makes two full sets plus some left over....

DETOURS
08-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Like any part, they have their place, and terrian. ;)