PDA

View Full Version : OBDII Android App and BlueTooth OBDII scanner

Mudderoy
07-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Many of you have asked what I am using to collected and display OBDII information from my 1998 Jeep.

I am using the Torque application for my Android smart phone.

For well over a year, maybe more than 2, I've been using this $50 OBDII bluetooth adapter that I purchased directly from China. On eBay I think. It's worked great, but it's always a pain getting out of the Jeep because the cord gets caught on my foot.

http://www.fireobd.de/img/cms/ELM327%20Bluetooth%20software.jpg

So I started looking for one that I could connect to the OBDII port and leave connected. I found this on eBay for $25 and free shipping.

I'll need to pair it with my Android and then I'll have full OBDII information at my finger tips while driving, or working on the Jeep!

-- more to come --

bluedragon436
07-07-2012, 04:34 PM
I've been thinking of picking up a Bluetooth adapter like that one, and finding a program I can use when working on my XJ or even other folks vehicles that are OBDII..

Mudderoy
07-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Well after running this thing for a week, or so, I can say it's great. At Matt's suggestion (as in "I leave my scanner hooked up all the time) I've left this one plugged into the OBDII port. I don't normally drive my Jeep over the weekends, so it sat for a good 3 days and it still started without any hint of drain.

So now I have OBDII access as long as I have my smart phone with me. Very convenient and the little "nub" is well out of the way and sight!

A great solution.

XJexpedition
07-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Well after running this thing for a week, or so, I can say it's great. At Matt's suggestion (as in "I leave my scanner hooked up all the time) I've left this one plugged into the OBDII port. I don't normally drive my Jeep over the weekends, so it sat for a good 3 days and it still started without any hint of drain.

So now I have OBDII access as long as I have my smart phone with me. Very convenient and the little "nub" is well out of the way and sight!

A great solution.

Torque is a great application, if you are into horsepower, speed, 1/4 miles times Dynomaster is a great and pretty accurate GPS App as long as you set it up correctly.

What I want to know is Superchips Vivid Android Tuner why it says only 99-01 4.0 XJs. ZJs is 96 up as well as Wranglers so I would think it would work with a 97+ XJ. We should all email Superchips and ask! I'm emailing to find out. ([email protected]) I just emailed them asking why they don't support 96 up XJs, the more emails the more likely they will get other years supported. I used to live 5 minutes from their Tech Center, about an hour away now.

XJexpedition
07-14-2012, 09:07 AM
I should have asked, can a 99-01 ECU be used in a 97-98?

4.3LXJ
07-14-2012, 09:46 AM
No. The 99-01s were distributorless ignitions.

XJexpedition
07-14-2012, 10:35 AM

Blah! Another roadblock, maybe it's my sign that I just need to keep stang, save and buy virgin XJ to build.

Sent from my Rooted and Custom Motorola Photon using TapaTalk2 Pro

Mudderoy
07-14-2012, 07:37 PM

I think 00-01 are distributor-less. The 1999 is set up like the 1998, different intake.

XJexpedition
07-14-2012, 08:30 PM
I think 00-01 are distributor-less. The 1999 is set up like the 1998, different intake.

How hard would it be to switch over to 99-01 If I had a 97?

Mudderoy
07-14-2012, 09:00 PM
How hard would it be to switch over to 99-01 If I had a 97?

97 is OBDII I wouldn't change anything.

I've never done a conversion like that. Just asking for trouble in my opinion.

jeepin_idaho
07-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Many of you have asked what I am using to collected and display OBDII information from my 1998 Jeep.

For well over a year, maybe more than 2, I've been using this $50 OBDII bluetooth adapter that I purchased directly from China. On eBay I think. It's worked great, but it's always a pain getting out of the Jeep because the cord gets caught on my foot.

So I started looking for one that I could connect to the OBDII port and leave connected. I found this on eBay for $25 and free shipping.

I'll need to pair it with my Android and then I'll have full OBDII information at my finger tips while driving, or working on the Jeep!

-- more to come --

So that bluetooth adapter works with Torque? I've been looking at getting that same thing and I already have to Torque app. I would love to know what all is going on while on the fly!

Mudderoy
07-17-2012, 03:20 AM
So that bluetooth adapter works with Torque? I've been looking at getting that same thing and I already have to Torque app. I would love to know what all is going on while on the fly!

Yeppers, works great. I'll probably be ordering another adapter for the TJ, just plug it in and forget it.

BigC79
07-26-2012, 02:18 PM
my buddy uses one for his but his is just the code reader plugs in the OBDII plug and his phonereads it for any car

Joliet Johnny
08-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Does this app need a data connection to work? I like to keep a spare phone in my Jeep and I have a rooted G1 laying around that functions without a simcard. I figure I could hard mount the phone to that space right of the gauges that looks like they meant for things to be mounted to.

Mudderoy
08-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Does this app need a data connection to work? I like to keep a spare phone in my Jeep and I have a rooted G1 laying around that functions without a simcard. I figure I could hard mount the phone to that space right of the gauges that looks like they meant for things to be mounted to.

It shouldn't.

Brasscatz
08-31-2012, 10:55 PM
Downloaded Torque today. Can't get all the measure units to show *F and MPH no matter what settings I select. (Free version) Also looked up that connector on Ebay. Put max bid of $10 on one that was at $1.27... and the highest bid jumped to $10.50. Somebody else had the same idea, but at least I made sure he wasn't getting it for nothing :D There's one for $17.99 that I'll end up getting at some point. Really looking forward to this especially since I'm changing my Coolant Temp Sensor and I want accurate readings.

Showtime3492
09-01-2012, 09:00 AM
I just happened to see this thread a nd i may have missed it but does torque show air to fuel ratio (lean,rich) etc i am going to have to tune my jeep so if it does that would be cool to have on hand when im running it.

Brasscatz
09-09-2012, 11:36 AM
I just happened to see this thread a nd i may have missed it but does torque show air to fuel ratio (lean,rich) etc i am going to have to tune my jeep so if it does that would be cool to have on hand when im running it.

I believe it does. There's a Fuel/Air status widget, though I couldn't tell you how it works because I don't have the scanner yet.... BUT!!!!! I just bought this one on ebay for $15!!!! Can't wait for it to get here! Mini ELM327 Interface V1.5 Bluetooth OBD2 CAN-BUS Diagnostic Scan Tool Android | eBay

89Laredo
09-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Ordered one last night from a US seller in new york, should be here wednesday. Will try it on my moms beretta and girlfriends 96.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

89Laredo
09-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Got mine.
Tried it on my moms beretta and it works good.
BUT, I dont know if its a Chevy thing or what, her car doesnt like some of the stuff torque tries to do.
I cant run the "raw data" or itll kill the engine, etc.
Hear relays and fuel pump are unhappy when it does that.

Mudderoy
09-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Got mine.
Tried it on my moms beretta and it works good.
BUT, I dont know if its a Chevy thing or what, her car doesnt like some of the stuff torque tries to do.
I cant run the "raw data" or itll kill the engine, etc.
Hear relays and fuel pump are unhappy when it does that.

Send the author an e-mail, he's pretty responsive. He spun me a custom copy prior to me buying it.

Brasscatz
09-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Mine came in the mail today. Can't wait to try it out on the drive tomorrow :D

Brasscatz
09-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Well, it did just what it was supposed to do! Very happy with it thus far. Thanks Tony for sharing this product

crfrider
11-14-2012, 02:40 PM
anyone try this with a i phone considering their are many apps that work the same for the i phone what would make it that the wirless plug only works for androids if it just runs of bluetooth

Joliet Johnny
12-19-2012, 09:29 AM
I bought the Nexus 7 Tablet 50% just to run this app. I attached it to my sun visor using those useless looking bungee straps they sell at truckstops (you know the really small ones) Ive run this setup every day since Thanksgiving and the tablet has not fallen off or moved yet. http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd490/jolietjohnny/2012-12-19090831_zps8c4a4390.jpg

prcjeep
05-14-2013, 07:36 PM
Well I just ordered one of these up from Ebay. Claims to be the new 2.1 version. Should arrive by Monday

Azzy
05-29-2013, 08:31 AM
OK, that tablet mount is pretty ingenious. :thumbsup:

Ive had an ELM bluetooth scanner and then a usb scanner for some time now. The ELM was always... special. Some phones it would work with, but finally gave it away when it would not work with my Samsung Galaxy Tab2. For that, I use a USB adapter and a OBD2 interface from Scantool.net

This one in fact: ScanTool 423001 ElmScan 5 Compact OBD-II Scan Tool and OBDwiz Diagnostic Software : Amazon.com : Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MMTq1BemL.@@AMEPARAM@@41MMTq1BemL

Sure, I got a tether, but can use it with a laptop as well. (Bluetooth and Win7... you think Renix gets cranky?) The scantool software works well. It and torque give me more information about the jeep than I know what to do with (like O2 levels and fuel trims).

One big downside of torque is that no one has gone through and done a specific layout for Jeeps. Perhaps that is something we should do as a community effort?

Brasscatz
05-29-2013, 09:52 AM
OK, that tablet mount is pretty ingenious. :thumbsup:

Ive had an ELM bluetooth scanner and then a usb scanner for some time now. The ELM was always... special. Some phones it would work with, but finally gave it away when it would not work with my Samsung Galaxy Tab2. For that, I use a USB adapter and a OBD2 interface from Scantool.net

This one in fact: ScanTool 423001 ElmScan 5 Compact OBD-II Scan Tool and OBDwiz Diagnostic Software : Amazon.com : Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-423001-ElmScan-Diagnostic-Software/dp/B002PYBZJO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1369834044&sr=8-2&keywords=scantool.net)

Sure, I got a tether, but can use it with a laptop as well. (Bluetooth and Win7... you think Renix gets cranky?) The scantool software works well. It and torque give me more information about the jeep than I know what to do with (like O2 levels and fuel trims).

One big downside of torque is that no one has gone through and done a specific layout for Jeeps. Perhaps that is something we should do as a community effort?

Hmmm.... I do know that there is at least one app designer in our little family on here.... I wanna say SAAR, but I'm not positive on that. Anyways, we should get him to get to crackin' on a Jeep app! I see all sorts of car specific apps in the play store, we should have an XJ app for the OBDII info, nice little tips and tricks maybe, possibly a GPS pinpoint thing so other local Jeepers can find everybody and meet up for some wheelin', and most importantly..... LINK TO XJTALK.COM! Hmm... might have to start a thread about this!

Azzy
05-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Thats one thing I realy want on Tourque.. a map with breadcrumbs, and possibly topo info (offline), with a way to export to KML. Especially for a tablet.

The inclometers are interesting too, but never saw much use for them. If I have to worry, then I should be paying attention to driving.

Hmmm.... I do know that there is at least one app designer in our little family on here.... I wanna say SAAR, but I'm not positive on that. Anyways, we should get him to get to crackin' on a Jeep app! I see all sorts of car specific apps in the play store, we should have an XJ app for the OBDII info, nice little tips and tricks maybe, possibly a GPS pinpoint thing so other local Jeepers can find everybody and meet up for some wheelin', and most importantly..... LINK TO XJTALK.COM! Hmm... might have to start a thread about this!

nickyg
05-29-2013, 11:37 AM
Not to hijack a thread or anything.. But am I the only one that noticed how smooth and silky soft your hands look... Good job moisturizing.

Mudderoy
05-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Not to hijack a thread or anything.. But am I the only one that noticed how smooth and silky soft your hands look... Good job moisturizing.

My secrete is bacon grease!

Brasscatz
05-30-2013, 07:08 PM

Did your wife catch you licking the heated mirror emblems again???

prcjeep
06-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Well I just ordered one of these up from Ebay. Claims to be the new 2.1 version. Should arrive by Monday

Well the one I got doesn't display any data for me... Shipping it back today for a loss of $5 bucks.

Brasscatz
06-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Well the one I got doesn't display any data for me... Shipping it back today for a loss of $5 bucks.

Which one did ya get?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

silver_xj
06-08-2013, 08:49 AM

I had the same problem but realized I had to pair it with my tablet. :bang: After that mine worked fine.

XjJeepacorn
06-10-2013, 10:00 PM

-- more to come --

Thank! Can't thank u for some reason!

XjJeepacorn
06-10-2013, 10:03 PM

In that case I have a computer for sale lol!!! It's came off a 98 manual 2 door :)

XjJeepacorn
06-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Hey my 99 has a distributor not coil packs!

4.3LXJ
06-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Sorry, meant 00 - 01

Carves
06-10-2013, 11:54 PM

Hahhhh ... bacon grease ...

You sure it wasnt, The Pigs, and their little tune that got you started ???

:poke: ... :D:D

http://youtu.be/aYCnHctYTQw

Mudderoy
06-11-2013, 12:40 AM
Thank! Can't thank u for some reason!

No worries, we all get nervous from time to time. :keegirl:

xjtalksteven
01-27-2015, 03:54 AM
ANDROID app: IOBD2 APP IN Google Play store:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xtooltech.ui

OBD2 Bluetooth Device:http://www.iobd2.cc/iobd2-scanner-for-iphoneandroid-by-bluetooth-p-78.html