PDA

View Full Version : LT1 conversions?

Voldemort
07-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Has anyone swapped in a LT1 V8 into their XJ or even seen one done? I can get a complete '94 Camaro LT1 right now for $300 and a extra one that needs rebuilt for $100. I will probably get them no matter what cause I love Chevy 350's (even though the LT1 has the dreaded opti-spark) But I have never swapped a V8 into a XJ let alone an LT1 so I have alot of questions. So if anyone can help me find pics,installs,guys that have done this,ETC... it would help me make the decision to put it in a XJ or not.

finneys98xj
07-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Chevys are WAY over rated drop in a SBF or 440 wedge.

finneys98xj
07-29-2009, 04:02 PM
Or find a T-bird turbo coupe and put that in an xj. I have seen them stop light to stop light blows SBC and SBF's away.

Voldemort
07-29-2009, 04:33 PM
I will take a Gen III chevy SB over ANY Engine ever made period. The LS1 or LT1 or the most productive and efficient motors other than the one that comes in the Jeep.

Or find a T-bird turbo coupe and put that in an xj. I have seen them stop light to stop light blows SBC and SBF's away.
Bring those T-birds on over and I'll introduce them to the BIG BAD LS1.
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/bigbadxj/Go%20fast%20stuff/carsparts273.jpg

COSXJFAN
07-29-2009, 04:39 PM
I have a buddy that can get the "hook up" through an auto body guy. He says that he can get the entire drive train, harnesses, and control modules for less than 2K!! I've been considering it for a way down the road mod!!

Voldemort
07-29-2009, 10:09 PM
I have a buddy that can get the "hook up" through an auto body guy. He says that he can get the entire drive train, harnesses, and control modules for less than 2K!! I've been considering it for a way down the road mod!!

You mean a LS1,right? If you do decide to go that route, go to LS1tech.com. It is the end all beat all Gen III engine forum. There are guys on that forum who have put a LS1 in just about everything.

finneys98xj
07-29-2009, 10:37 PM
I will take a Gen III chevy SB over ANY Engine ever made period. The LS1 or LT1 or the most productive and efficient motors other than the one that comes in the Jeep.

Bring those T-birds on over and I'll introduce them to the BIG BAD LS1.
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/bigbadxj/Go%20fast%20stuff/carsparts273.jpg

I'm talking stock motor to stock motor.

I'm sorry I hate Chevy's. I would take a blow up 302 over a built 454 or 350 any day of the week. The only reason SO MANY people like chevolet is because they are cheap and dime a dozen. Anybody can go and build a chevy 350 that looks big and bad and will run decent 1/4th but you take a 302 and with a little more cash and less work you blow the 350 away. I have seen it done time and time again.

But what ever you build. Build it strong and with love. Then you can tell people like ME, "WHERE IS YOUR V8 XJ?"

Voldemort
07-29-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm talking stock motor to stock motor.

I'm sorry I hate Chevy's. I would take a blow up 302 over a built 454 or 350 any day of the week. The only reason SO MANY people like chevolet is because they are cheap and dime a dozen. Anybody can go and build a chevy 350 that looks big and bad and will run decent 1/4th but you take a 302 and with a little more cash and less work you blow the 350 away. I have seen it done time and time again.

But what ever you build. Build it strong and with love. Then you can tell people like ME, "WHERE IS YOUR V8 XJ?"

Must be the difference in area, Cause you can not get a Gen III or 454 cheap nor easy. Me and a friend spent 6 months looking for a crank pulley for his 454 and the cheapest LS1 I have ever gotten was one from a '98 TA with 98,000 miles and it was $2,600. I'm not talking about some old truck 350's or even a LQ9 or TPI. I have seen guys spend tens of thousands on Mustangs only to get whipped by my LS1 with a induction and exhaust( a total of $1300)on my way to the store with my Grandma in the car!!!!!.:headshake:
The one on the left.
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/bigbadxj/Go%20fast%20stuff/carsparts260.jpg
Then this happened
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/bigbadxj/Go%20fast%20stuff/carsparts222.jpg
That pic above the black one with the Turbo's is of a Friends TA(Wish it was mine) that is the fastest F-body in the USA. SO I was just teasing but if you come one over to Cincy and let me give a tour of all My friends and mine Chevy SBC's ( which includes a '90 Mustang GT Fox body with a LS2 & t56 tranny and even my neighbors two Sprint cars both with ALL aluminum Chevy 350 4bolt main engines that make well over 1000 HP)maybe just maybe I can change your mind, If not then then at least I tried.:smiley-gen165:

finneys98xj
07-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Must be the difference in area, Cause you can not get a Gen III or 454 cheap nor easy. Me and a friend spent 6 months looking for a crank pulley for his 454 and the cheapest LS1 I have ever gotten was one from a '98 TA with 98,000 miles and it was $2,600. I'm not talking about some old truck 350's or even a LQ9 or TPI. I have seen guys spend tens of thousands on Mustangs only to get whipped by my LS1 with a induction and exhaust( a total of $1300)on my way to the store with my Grandma in the car!!!!!.:headshake:
The one on the left.
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/bigbadxj/Go%20fast%20stuff/carsparts260.jpg
Then this happened
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/bigbadxj/Go%20fast%20stuff/carsparts222.jpg
That pic above the black one with the Turbo's is of a Friends TA(Wish it was mine) that is the fastest F-body in the USA. SO I was just teasing but if you come one over to Cincy and let me give a tour of all My friends and mine Chevy SBC's ( which includes a '90 Mustang GT Fox body with a LS2 & t56 tranny and even my neighbors two Sprint cars both with ALL aluminum Chevy 350 4bolt main engines that make well over 1000 HP)maybe just maybe I can change your mind, If not then then at least I tried.:smiley-gen165:

Around here you can get LS1's at about any J/Y for less than a grand if they have one and 454's are pretty common in most big J/Y's around here.

I have seen my share of CHevy's. Think they are ugly and cheap built/looking. BUT I seen one and only one post 1970 chevy that I would drive and it was a SSR that a rich lake guy had stuff a Vette Z28(or what ever the Z?? is for the big factory vettes) motor over into and the put a blower on it and KEPT it under the hood. He couldn't even fit an aircleaner on the otor it was so tight. Wish the guy would have let me or pops take a pic but he said nope. But that is the ONLY Chevy I have EVER drooled over.

Voldemort
07-30-2009, 12:07 AM
Around here you can get LS1's at about any J/Y for less than a grand if they have one and 454's are pretty common in most big J/Y's around here.

I have seen my share of CHevy's. Think they are ugly and cheap built/looking. BUT I seen one and only one post 1970 chevy that I would drive and it was a SSR that a rich lake guy had stuff a Vette Z28(or what ever the Z?? is for the big factory vettes) motor over into and the put a blower on it and KEPT it under the hood. He couldn't even fit an aircleaner on the otor it was so tight. Wish the guy would have let me or pops take a pic but he said nope. But that is the ONLY Chevy I have EVER drooled over.
Then you have never been in one of these my man.
http://www.fastcoolcars.com/images/08-09-z07/Blue-devil-corvette-4.jpg
http://www.fastcoolcars.com/images/08-09-z07/Blue-devil-corvette-7.jpg
http://www.fastcoolcars.com/images/08-09-z07/Blue-devil-corvette-5.jpg
I coming to were you are and stocking up on Engines then cause LS1's go for 2K all day online and I can get 5-10k out of a complete 454.

COSXJFAN
07-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Yes, it was an LS1, my bad!! Either way I want one in my XJ!! At the same time I'll be changing the t-case, and front axle. I will more than likely go with something that has a PS drop, since most GM t-cases are PS drops, maybe all of them. I don't recall ever seeing one that had a DS drop. I don't want anything extreme, just a stock LS1 will be plenty!! The more I think about it...the more I want one!!

Voldemort
07-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Yes, it was an LS1, my bad!! Either way I want one in my XJ!! At the same time I'll be changing the t-case, and front axle. I will more than likely go with something that has a PS drop, since most GM t-cases are PS drops, maybe all of them. I don't recall ever seeing one that had a DS drop. I don't want anything extreme, just a stock LS1 will be plenty!! The more I think about it...the more I want one!!
Nice a stock LS1 will be more than plenty and the gas millage i not bad either. Here is a link to the ls1tech conversions & hybrids section they have someone that has put a ls1 in just about everything. ANd you should not have to change all that stuff the make alot of adapters so you could put a NV4500 on the LS1 and keep the N231.

COSXJFAN
07-30-2009, 03:14 PM
I have an NP242, but the 231 with 4:1 kit in it, or the Rock Trac 241 outta the Ruby might be an option!! I know it has been done, but not by me!!LOL!!

COSXJFAN
07-30-2009, 03:15 PM
BTW, I'm planning a narrowed D44 for the front anyway, this would make it even more needed!!