PDA

View Full Version : Computer for $35

Mudderoy
06-27-2012, 11:44 AM
http://youtu.be/6BbufUp_HNs

olds-cool
06-27-2012, 02:33 PM
The computer geek in me just got a bit of a chubby. First thing that came to mind was car pc. I've been wanting to build one for years now but just couldn't justify the expense of a small form factor board, switching power supply, etc. While OS boot times can certainly be brought down to about the same level using stripped down XP, this looks even better. Combining this board with a 7" touchscreen with HDMI input could provide a car pc within the reach of the average working schmuck. Very cool! I wonder how expandable it is as far as USB and the compatibility with other peripherals such as hubs, dvd drives, gps, wireless, etc. I look forward to seeing what the community does with it.

Edit: Found their site @ raspberrypi.org (http://www.raspberrypi.org/) Looks like the USB is expandable and supports pretty much any hardware that the Debian OS supports. Lots of folks already using them as media centers.

Mudderoy
06-27-2012, 03:07 PM
The computer geek in me just got a bit of a chubby. First thing that came to mind was car pc. I've been wanting to build one for years now but just couldn't justify the expense of a small form factor board, switching power supply, etc. While OS boot times can certainly be brought down to about the same level using stripped down XP, this looks even better. Combining this board with a 7" touchscreen with HDMI input could provide a car pc within the reach of the average working schmuck. Very cool! I wonder how expandable it is as far as USB and the compatibility with other peripherals such as hubs, dvd drives, gps, wireless, etc. I look forward to seeing what the community does with it.

Edit: Found their site @ rasperrypi.org Looks like the USB is expandable and supports pretty much any hardware that the Debian OS supports. Lots of folks already using them as media centers.

Yep, I was thinking of an on board OBDII system. Monitor and record.

Brasscatz
06-27-2012, 06:28 PM
That is awesome! I can just imagine the possibilities!

KH96XJ
06-27-2012, 07:03 PM
Interesting. I've sent the interested notification on the website. I'll spring for $35 to test one out. If they are stable and operate reliably I can see potential use in my line of work as an e-mail station/cyber cafe. I wouldn't want to use them for anything past that on a business level.

Mudderoy
06-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Interesting. I've sent the interested notification on the website. I'll spring for $35 to test one out. If they are stable and operate reliably I can see potential use in my line of work as an e-mail station/cyber cafe. I wouldn't want to use them for anything past that on a business level.

I hear ya, still this is a bit impressive.

Raspberry Pi - Quake 3 demo - YouTube

KH96XJ
06-28-2012, 01:18 PM
I hear ya, still this is a bit impressive.

Unfortunately things have to be kept simple for clients so sticking to things they already know is the main reason I couldn't see it being used for anything outside an e-mail station/cyber cafe in a business. I haven't run into many clients in the past 10 years at this job who venture outside windows/mac OS. Having to deal with clients who have problems installing a printer and refuse to learn even though they have to do it every other week at the different sites they go to throughout the year then getting them to use something like this would cause more problems than it's worth. :bang:

bluedragon436
07-01-2012, 11:34 PM
This thing seems like a really cool idea to play around with for different applications at home or in the car.. Might play around with one to see about doing the CarPC as I have always wanted to do one, but the price and the room needed for the install of such setup was always a limiting factor for me..

Mudderoy
07-02-2012, 10:11 AM
TODAY is the last day to register if you want one from the latest batch!

:link: (http://piregistration.element14.com/raspberryPi1.html?ref=lookahead)

olds-cool
07-03-2012, 10:51 AM
The site now says you will be able to order without registration after july 5

Mudderoy
07-03-2012, 11:39 AM
The site now says you will be able to order without registration after july 5

Yep, I suspect it will be first come first serve on the 5th.

olds-cool
07-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Well, checked today and since I didn't register my interest, I'll have to wait even longer. I guess they are letting those who registered have first cracks at ordering. Here I thought those folks were already on the list and general public ordering was starting today. Guess not. Farnell shows a 64 day lead time but maybe they haven't updated the site yet.

Mudderoy
07-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Well, checked today and since I didn't register my interest, I'll have to wait even longer. I guess they are letting those who registered have first cracks at ordering. Here I thought those folks were already on the list and general public ordering was starting today. Guess not. Farnell shows a 64 day lead time but maybe they haven't updated the site yet.

Yeah I don't think they made it very clear. The way I read it they were going to start taking orders today, and since I registered I was digging around to see if I had received an invitation. I hadn't, or I deleted it.

So today about 10 AM I received an e-mail with a link to order. I ordered one with a case, about $41 + shipping. They said it was a 12 week wait on receiving it.

Good thing it's cheap and I don't have any hot plans for it. Just checking it out really.

olds-cool
07-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Cool. When you get it, let me know what you think. By that time, maybe the mad rush will have calmed down and I can get my own.

Mudderoy
07-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Hello Tony,
Thank you for your recent Raspberry Pi order.

We know you've been waiting patiently to get your hands on your Raspberry Pi. They are being manufactured as quickly as possible, but the demand is huge, so the estimated delivery is about 12 weeks from when you placed your order.

We've received a lot of questions about this and wanted to make sure you know what to expect. Please note that we won't charge your card until the order has shipped, at which time it will be processed and you will receive a shipment notification.

If you have any questions or need assistance, please give us a call at (866) 433-5722.

Thank you!
Allied Electronics

bluedragon436
07-10-2012, 11:36 AM
I can't wait until ordering opens.. I am def. going to order one of these.. Were you able to find a pic of the case for the Pi?

Never mind on the case.. I used the iPad to do a search on Google to find pics of it.. I think after picking up one, I might end up finding uses for more than one... These things seem really cool, especially for what they are and what they do.." not to mention the price..

Mudderoy
07-10-2012, 11:44 AM
I can't wait until ordering opens.. I am def. going to order one of these.. Were you able to find a pic of the case for the Pi?

Yep, it was on the order screen. It's kind of a transparent red. I wasn't overly concerned about how it looks, just something to put it in.

bluedragon436
07-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Yeah I'm not too worried about what it looks like since I'll end up putting it somewhere that wouldn't be seen anyways.. Just wanted to see the case, but found some cool case pics on Google, as well as a few Pi alternatives that seem pretty cool too..

bluedragon436
09-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Hey was wondering if you had gotten your Pi yet?? I have found quite a few uses and writeups for uses of the Pi, and would like to pick one up, but from what I've read if you didnt' get in on the pre ordering, then you are kind of SOL for a bit.. I found an aluminum case that has "heat sinks" so to speak, as well as you can get custom etching done on the case... kind of pricey, but as I am thinking of bringing the Pi with me when I fly and when I deploy might be better to have a tougher case for it to travel in to protect it.. and keeping it cool in the hot climates of the desert isn't too bad of an idea either.. Was just wondering if you had gotten your Pi yet and what you thought of it..

Mudderoy
09-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Hey was wondering if you had gotten your Pi yet?? I have found quite a few uses and writeups for uses of the Pi, and would like to pick one up, but from what I've read if you didnt' get in on the pre ordering, then you are kind of SOL for a bit.. I found an aluminum case that has "heat sinks" so to speak, as well as you can get custom etching done on the case... kind of pricey, but as I am thinking of bringing the Pi with me when I fly and when I deploy might be better to have a tougher case for it to travel in to protect it.. and keeping it cool in the hot climates of the desert isn't too bad of an idea either.. Was just wondering if you had gotten your Pi yet and what you thought of it..

Actually no. A friend at work gave me one of the many he has purchased so I could start messing with it now. Mine has yet to be delivered. You should check again, because according to him they are available to the general public now, and get as many as you like.

KH96XJ
09-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Glad you guys reminded me about these. Placed an order today.

bluedragon436
09-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Actually no. A friend at work gave me one of the many he has purchased so I could start messing with it now. Mine has yet to be delivered. You should check again, because according to him they are available to the general public now, and get as many as you like.

How long did it take him to recieve his Pi's after ordering them?? Just trying to figure out if I order one how long it'll take to get, if I should order it to here where I'm deployed or to the house for as far as shipping times..

Mudderoy
09-09-2012, 10:08 AM
How long did it take him to recieve his Pi's after ordering them?? Just trying to figure out if I order one how long it'll take to get, if I should order it to here where I'm deployed or to the house for as far as shipping times..

A couple of weeks, I think. It wasn't coming to me, I didn't care. :D

xjrev10
09-12-2012, 01:58 AM
I must be retarded. I have no clue what I would do with that thing or what it could be used for....

XJ Wheeler
09-12-2012, 02:25 AM
I must be retarded. I have no clue what I would do with that thing or what it could be used for....

Welcome to the club. No dues, wouldn't know how to collect anyways.

bluedragon436
09-14-2012, 10:36 AM
It is a small computer you could use it for any number of things... You could use it's small size to build yourself a computer in your car, or if you have kids could make it into a little AV setup in the back of the family car, van or even XJ... for the kids to enjoy on road trips.. Hell if you really want too you could set it up and use it for navigation or other uses such as OBDII monitoring in your vehicle.. You could use it if you had small kids as a way for them to get online or play around with a really cool computer and at a really cheap price if it does manage to get broken...

89Laredo
09-14-2012, 10:57 AM
I would use it for obdII (if I had obd. Lol)
And a media player.

bluedragon436
09-14-2012, 11:00 AM
I'm thinkng of getting one for media player.. but also OBD monitoring.. most likely in a car I build over the XJ... don't think this thing would do too well with mud and water and bouncing all over the place on trails.. LOL

KH96XJ
09-14-2012, 10:22 PM
FYI, placed order on Sun and it arrived Thur at my work. I haven't had the chance to play with it yet because I left for a show in San Fran the day it came in.

bigjim350
09-14-2012, 10:25 PM

I know exactly what I would do with it. I'd say "Hey look at what I bought" then point at it.....thats about it.

Dredwolf
09-21-2012, 02:51 PM
So has anyone gotten one of these yet? I can see some interesting possibilities, I do great deal of my work with a Linux distro running from a thumbdrive.

bluedragon436
09-22-2012, 07:36 AM
I think two or three folks have.. but not sure if htey have had chances to play with them yet... as I haven't heard any feedback yet..

KH96XJ
09-23-2012, 12:37 AM
Since I just got home today from my trip I was able to finally play with one of the two RP that I ordered. I only ordered the unit by itself as I already had a spare 16 gig class 10 SD card, faster cards help speed boot times up according to one of the you tube videos I saw. I can confirm that my boot time was much faster than his in the video. I also have a couple of HTC wall chargers, which are 5V 1A, that I got with the two EVO phones I have and slightly exceed the minimum power requirement of 700mA if I recall correctly. I followed the setup instructions for the SD card here :link: (http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup)

I did find that it didn't like my old Razer gaming key board much so I swapped it out for an old generic Belkin that I had. Works much better. I haven't done much exploring with it yet and I intend to setup the other unit I got for a media center. Someone mentioned to me that there is a three part You Tube video on how to do it. I will be trying to set that up on the wireless network.

So far it works and I'm happy with it.

The post was made from my raspberry pi.

bluedragon436
09-24-2012, 11:11 AM
look forward to hearing how it is to setup as well as how it performs as a media center setup since this is what I was thinking to pick it up for..

Dredwolf
09-24-2012, 07:01 PM
look forward to hearing how it is to setup as well as how it performs as a media center setup since this is what I was thinking to pick it up for..

Same for me, or a little "ruggedized" web PC for the garage.

oderdene
03-28-2013, 10:07 AM
who received little 35$ magician and what they doing now?

bluedragon436
10-29-2013, 05:46 AM
Bump to the top to see what is/has happened with any of these units you guys were ordering up?!!

Mudderoy
11-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Bump to the top to see what is/has happened with any of these units you guys were ordering up?!!

Mine's been running for months. I only know this because I see the lights on it. I haven't connected it to a keyboard and screen in just about that same amount of time.

Too many projects. :smiley-scared003:

ArmyGuy45
11-03-2013, 01:43 AM
Based on Linux OS?

Mudderoy
11-05-2013, 11:06 PM
yep

BlueXJ
11-06-2013, 07:41 AM
So no operation review of this computer.

bluedragon436
11-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Well if it's been running for months, I guess that says something about it's reliability.. LOL.. Just wondering how it actually performs and such..

jart_mn
04-24-2014, 10:04 PM
I was looking at the forums to see what's out there and came across this thread. I picked up a Raspberry Pi about a month ago or so to tinker with when I get a chance but haven't managed the time yet. Anybody doing anything interesting with theirs? Any feedback on how well they've held up to any abuse? I was thinking of doing the whole OBD port, navigation, media box for the XJ too. Figured if I got a little more adventurous I'd set up a simple touchscreen driven control system to use the Pi's GIO to control some relays for my roof rack lights and whatever else was doable (mostly pointless but something geeky to mess with). If anyone did anything cool please post.

Mudderoy
04-25-2014, 07:45 AM
Just a couple of days ago we started an experiment with one at work. One of the things you like to do in the IT world is provide battery backup for your remote communications equipment.

Even if the rest of the office goes down keeping power up to the comm gear means you won't take the chance of losing configurations, or having an electrical induced failure.

Hooking up a UPS, battery backup, is pretty simple, problem is how do you know when the UPS battery is EOL (end of life). You could just replace them every couple of years, but you could invest $40 and monitor it!

We took a Raspberry Pi and installed the "apcupsd" free software on it. Then hooked it to a APC UPS! Now using NAGIOS, a free network monitor piece of software for LINUX we're able to monitor the status of the APC UPS through the PI!

Need remote access to the PI without having a monitor and keyboard? Just load "xrdp" and now you can use Window rdp to connect to it through your network.

Hartly
04-25-2014, 09:13 AM
Way to go guys!! Now i have to build a new media setup. Thanks for telling me about Raspberry Pi

jart_mn
04-25-2014, 12:17 PM
Just a couple of days ago we started an experiment with one at work. One of the things you like to do in the IT world is provide battery backup for your remote communications equipment.

Even if the rest of the office goes down keeping power up to the comm gear means you won't take the chance of losing configurations, or having an electrical induced failure.

Hooking up a UPS, battery backup, is pretty simple, problem is how do you know when the UPS battery is EOL (end of life). You could just replace them every couple of years, but you could invest $40 and monitor it!

We took a Raspberry Pi and installed the "apcupsd" free software on it. Then hooked it to a APC UPS! Now using NAGIOS, a free network monitor piece of software for LINUX we're able to monitor the status of the APC UPS through the PI!

Need remote access to the PI without having a monitor and keyboard? Just load "xrdp" and now you can use Window rdp to connect to it through your network.
Sounds like a simple yet effective deal. That's one of the beauties of these things only costing $35, really isn't cost prohibitive for most applications.

I've done IT work and similar situations like the one you mention. It is funny to see and understand the logic behind doing something like monitoring a UPS/battery bank yet operations folk often chalk it up as not worthwhile. I dealt with protective relay and control schemes where not only they wouldn't monitor the battery status, they wouldn't have a good replacement plan and often used batteries a hair above the quality of a cheap car battery...

Way to go guys!! Now i have to build a new media setup. Thanks for telling me about Raspberry Pi

Isn't the internet great? :)

I even got curious enough to power up my Pi this morning just to see how it performs and got its software all updated. I have to say it runs pretty fast for how small it is and all. I threw on xrdp and tightvnc so any time I got the itch I could remote in to tinker (leaving it powered up). It'll be on the back burner for a little while so I can get other things done but I'll be back to it at some point. I can see some good potential for it.

prerunner1982
04-25-2014, 12:32 PM
In Ham radio it can be used for Echolink, APRS, D-Star, PSK31, and SDR.

http://www.raspberryconnect.com/raspbian-packages-list/item/71-raspbian-hamradio

and besides... Ham radio and 4x4 go hand in hand and everyone needs another hobby.

Hartly
05-10-2014, 02:36 PM
UPDATE: i got two (they are readily available now) one is set up to stream video to my tv and the other is personal cloud storage. shockingly easy and cheap for what you get. they do seem very stable too in my limited use thus far. all and all less mad at the forum for making me spend money. now to home build a projector.....

Mudderoy
05-10-2014, 05:20 PM
I've been having problems with mine booting. Once I power it on and off about 10 times it comes up and stays up. May need to try another power source.

Hartly
05-10-2014, 10:12 PM
Make sure its 5v at 1amp. Some smart phone chargers are 700 or 800 mA or 5.1v

jart_mn
05-12-2014, 08:14 PM
Check out this USB hub for using for power/etc. It has a port that allows higher current output (but no data) that works for powering the Pi. Then you can connect the hub data port to one of the Pi's USB ports to give it 6 more (net gain of 5 considering the 1 you use). There was a pretty lengthy writeup on why this type of hub works better that deals with the ability or lack there of for back feeding, so some people have dug into it pretty far. So far it has worked great for me with a mouse, keyboard, USB storage, and WIFI plugged in. Haven't got around to it yet but adding bluetooth and picked up a 4.3" monitor to see how well it displays.

"Cirago Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Hub with iPad/iPhone Charging Port (USH1070)"
Link if it works:Amazon.com: Cirago Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Hub with iPad/iPhone Charging Port (USH1070): Computers & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51T8qri-2LL.@@AMEPARAM@@51T8qri-2LL

Brasscatz
08-12-2014, 06:04 PM
Saw this on Amazon's new 3D Printed store. Thought it would be interesting for you Pi owners
Amazon.com: 3D Printed Raspberry Pi Case, Black: David Lee: 3D Printing@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31CaNLxnd1L.@@AMEPARAM@@31CaNLxnd1L

bluedragon436
08-13-2014, 01:03 PM
I missed out on a guy here in Germany that had a Pi setup for sale, all parts needed and accessories all brand new, just needed to download the OS.. That would be a nice case to have for it.. Heck I'd love to be able to afford a 3d printer to play around with building different things like that and for the Jeep...

Mudderoy
08-16-2014, 09:47 AM
This is your Raspberry PI

This is your Raspberry PI with input and output!

bluedragon436
08-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Saw a neat book for these things today @ the book store on base.. If I had been able to pick one up, I'd have gotten the book so I can read up on it more... it seemed pretty neat, as far as covering setup, components, and use & uses of the Pi!!

Mudderoy
08-16-2014, 05:01 PM

bluedragon436
08-16-2014, 05:22 PM
Is that a bluetooth keyboard Tony??

Mudderoy
08-16-2014, 09:49 PM
Is that a bluetooth keyboard Tony??

It is. The raspberry pi is actually about 2 feet away from the 12 volt headrest screen and keyboard.

Joliet Johnny
05-23-2015, 04:31 AM
It looks like it loaded the site. Curious how it handled the rest of the internet. Also curious about pdf files. I'm thinking about one of these for a garage computer. Also curious about YouTube, found a video where a guy loaded YouTube but it was all in text and he never played a video. Also looks like people automate their houses with them. If they work acceptably for web browsing and YouTube I think I may only fire up the power hog desktop to update podcasts and play some games.

Mudderoy
05-23-2015, 10:16 AM
It looks like it loaded the site. Curious how it handled the rest of the internet. Also curious about pdf files. I'm thinking about one of these for a garage computer. Also curious about YouTube, found a video where a guy loaded YouTube but it was all in text and he never played a video. Also looks like people automate their houses with them. If they work acceptably for web browsing and YouTube I think I may only fire up the power hog desktop to update podcasts and play some games.

To me it runs like WinXP after it's been up for a month and you have a few programs with memory leaks.

I've got 2 now, I was thinking the first one must have a problem since it wouldn't boot 100% No now I have 2 that wont' boot 100% so I need to look at the memory card and OS. :(

I just need to spend time on it, and figure out the issue, time has been the real problem.

xjzaped
05-23-2015, 10:39 PM
I've got several that I really love. All of mine are B models. I found a real love for Arch as the base OS. I think they make great little purpose built servers to handle one it two tasks at a time. The only way I am currently aware of to play YouTube videos is through the XMBC image though I haven't gotten my hands on a Pi2 yet. I'm at that point of being ready for a new dd and have been thinking about building a rear entertainment center for a new truck with a Pi on XMBC since I will pull the factory center console out anyway.

Mudderoy
05-30-2015, 07:40 AM
It's been awhile, so time for an update...

I was having problems getting my Rashberry Pi to boot without several power cycles.

I just tried a new build

RASPBIAN
Debian Wheezy
Release date:2015-05-05

So far it's 100% Tried a couple of reboots and a power cycle.

I'm currently creating a second boot for my original Pi. I have the IO control card for it. PiFace

http://www.newark.com/productimages/large/en_US/2434230-40.jpg

http://www.piface.org.uk/static/img/piface_digital/pifacedigital_diagram.png

Not sure what I'll control with this 2nd Pi but that's the fun thing with sub $100 gadgets just playing around with it the uses will come.

I have thought about a remote control, or timed, window blinds control.

With a 2 meter receiver touch tone decoder I could mount this in my Jeep and have the ability to kill the engine from a great distance. :D

bluedragon436
05-30-2015, 08:27 AM
Glad to hear that the Pi's seem to be coming up correctly... so now you can actually enjoy messing with them, and seeing what they can be used for..

Mudderoy
05-30-2015, 08:37 AM
Okay looks like this new IMG fixed my problems with my original Raspberry Pi it's the "B" 512mb version.

Just ordered a 5mp camera module from Amazon.

bluedragon436
05-30-2015, 08:47 AM
Was looking to see if I could configure one to create like a mini wifi network, so that I can connect my Apple TV to my Macbook Pro while I'm deployed... since the Wifi that is there isn't strong enough or stable enough to stream to the Apple TV from computer... Not sure if that is possible or not, but something I was trying to research.. Might see if I can find a kit and take it with me, if nothing else will give me something to play with while I'm there...

Mudderoy
05-30-2015, 10:31 AM
Was looking to see if I could configure one to create like a mini wifi network, so that I can connect my Apple TV to my Macbook Pro while I'm deployed... since the Wifi that is there isn't strong enough or stable enough to stream to the Apple TV from computer... Not sure if that is possible or not, but something I was trying to research.. Might see if I can find a kit and take it with me, if nothing else will give me something to play with while I'm there...

:link: (https://learn.adafruit.com/setting-up-a-raspberry-pi-as-a-wifi-access-point/overview)

bluedragon436
05-31-2015, 11:20 PM
:link: (https://learn.adafruit.com/setting-up-a-raspberry-pi-as-a-wifi-access-point/overview)

Thanks.. I'll have to look into that.. Hopefully I can use it as a wifi access point, without having to have an ethernet cable to the internet.. as all I'll be looking at connecting is my Macbook Pro and Apple TV.. no internet access needed.. Now will be even better if I can make use of the Pi to pull the craptacular wireless signal while I'm deployed and make it a stronger connection that I can make use of to get online.. like a WiFi booster I guess.. lol then I'd be even happier with the use & purchase of the Pi..

Mudderoy
06-02-2015, 03:30 AM
Quick update...

New OS is working great, both Pi's running and booting fine now.

I invested in a 5 MP camera for one! $25 from Amazon.

No GUI needed to take a picture, just establish a ssh terminal session and issue a command...

root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# raspistill -w 1920 -h 1080 -q 100 -o /pi.jpg

My first still image. (Just noticed, this picture is upside down)

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/pi.jpg

This package is really light, of course it doesn't include the weight of a battery, but still I think it would be really easy to attach this to a balloon and take pictures, or HD video, at the edge of space!

The Pi is $35 and the camera $25, obviously I need a few more items, but I bet it could all be done for less than $200 so if you lost it, not such a huge financial hit.

I'm thinking this would be an inexpensive IP camera. Hang a rechargeable battery and a solar panel, a USB WiFi dodad, and I'd have a camera that would watch the back of the house and no wires!

The did have an IR camera available, with two IR LED on the board, but I opted for the cheaper of the two. I think the IR camera was $35.

xjzaped
06-02-2015, 10:42 PM
Thanks.. I'll have to look into that.. Hopefully I can use it as a wifi access point, without having to have an ethernet cable to the internet.. as all I'll be looking at connecting is my Macbook Pro and Apple TV.. no internet access needed.. Now will be even better if I can make use of the Pi to pull the craptacular wireless signal while I'm deployed and make it a stronger connection that I can make use of to get online.. like a WiFi booster I guess.. lol then I'd be even happier with the use & purchase of the Pi..

It's cheaper (though I'm not sure about easier) to purchase a MicroTik hAP lite or two ($18 on Amazon currently) and configure them for MESH networking. Essentially acts like a booster but is a little more configurable. They are also Linux based…

Mudderoy, as much as your solar IP camera sounds like a fun learning experience, it's probably more economical to buy something along the lines of a Foscam outdoor rated camera. I picked one up back in December for around $80. It featured night vision though infrared, a decent fixed camera (720p at best), an SMA adapter for the integrated wifi, ran off of 5-12V DC and was all tucked away in a weather proof aluminum enclosure. Seems like a yagi 2.4 GHz antenna and the camera would roughly be at the break even price purchasing the individual components (Pi, SD card, power adapter, camera board, wifi dongle with external antenna adapter) and then engineering some sort of enclosure.

Then again, this is definitely my why engineer a new solution when you could save time and adapt an existing solution way of design speaking.

bluedragon436
06-06-2015, 10:50 AM
I like the idea of sending a Pi up and seeing how far up it'd go and still transmit images, before the ballon popped or what have ya... Seen a video on Youtube where someone did something similar and they had a way to track it with a GPS, so they could retrieve it and view the images that it captured.. was pretty cool...

xjzaped
06-06-2015, 08:18 PM
I like the idea of sending a Pi up and seeing how far up it'd go and still transmit images, before the ballon popped or what have ya... Seen a video on Youtube where someone did something similar and they had a way to track it with a GPS, so they could retrieve it and view the images that it captured.. was pretty cool...

You'd be better off storing images on the onboard SD card and recovering it after you recover the payload. Transmit the location telemetry using something like a TNC Pi. I thought about writing a logging script to record position, altitude (based off of pressure) and temperature in CSV format. You could also use two independent GPS receivers (one having an independent tracker on board).

I've helped design a balloon payload or two. Some friends of mine sent one up from Wink, TX a few weeks ago that was successfully recovered that I had a hand in the payload brainstorming.

Joliet Johnny
06-26-2015, 05:39 AM
I got the 2b version based on what you all have made me interested in. I tested it for a week and I'd say it's a decent basic computer and even though YouTube comes up as not supported click play again and it works. I'm going to turn this one I have into a device that tells me when the power has gone out so I know to get home an keep my basement dry. Also will buy more and do some automation in my house. I'm most excited to build a car pc from one and turn one of my old linksys routers into a wifi repeater using dd-wrt and turn my XJ into a wifi hotspot for my garage. Wonder if all this can fit in a stock XJ radio shell and what hassle will it end up being using the factory harness for the radio?

Mudderoy
06-26-2015, 07:06 AM
I got the 2b version based on what you all have made me interested in. I tested it for a week and I'd say it's a decent basic computer and even though YouTube comes up as not supported click play again and it works. I'm going to turn this one I have into a device that tells me when the power has gone out so I know to get home an keep my basement dry. Also will buy more and do some automation in my house. I'm most excited to build a car pc from one and turn one of my old linksys routers into a wifi repeater using dd-wrt and turn my XJ into a wifi hotspot for my garage. Wonder if all this can fit in a stock XJ radio shell and what hassle will it end up being using the factory harness for the radio?

You can get a harness adapter. You might need a 20 watt stereo audio amp to feed the system. I think it would be pretty easy to do. The screen might be harder.

Joliet Johnny
06-27-2015, 07:45 AM
You can get a harness adapter. You might need a 20 watt stereo audio amp to feed the system. I think it would be pretty easy to do. The screen might be harder.

Im thinking a 7in touchscreen found on Amazon would be perfect. Hard part is making it removable as to save my windows if Im to go to Walmart. Also I plan to desolder the factory radio connecter from the original board and your right Tony a 20 watt audio amp was planned to wedge into that small box.

Mudderoy
06-27-2015, 08:23 AM
I picked up a breadboard and a package of jumpers. I'm going to try turning one of my pi's into an IR remote. I have the Uverse DVR set up with audio/video running through-out the house. Problem is changing the channel.

Should be able to turn anything IR on or off.

The IR module is like $5 and the parts needed to attach it to the PI is about $5

xjzaped
06-27-2015, 12:36 PM
Im thinking a 7in touchscreen found on Amazon would be perfect. Hard part is making it removable as to save my windows if Im to go to Walmart. Also I plan to desolder the factory radio connecter from the original board and your right Tony a 20 watt audio amp was planned to wedge into that small box.

I actually thought about doing that with something like XMBC, touch screen, there are some audio amplifiers you can get specifically for automotive stereo/carputer use and a high quality AM/FM tuner. The price tag was somewhere around $350 once I got everything priced out.

Mudderoy
06-27-2015, 07:27 PM
https://youtu.be/FoWQycTXXOs

prerunner1982
03-02-2016, 04:36 PM
The PI3 is now available, still for $35 with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and a 1.2GHz 64 bit quadcore CPU (10x more performance than Pi1).

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-on-sale/

Wifi and Bluetooth... This model looks to be very useful!

xjzaped
03-03-2016, 06:11 PM
The PI3 is now available, still for $35 with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and a 1.2GHz 64 bit quadcore CPU (10x more performance than Pi1).

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-on-sale/

Wifi and Bluetooth... This model looks to be very useful!

I'm still waiting for a USB NIC adapter with a POE In option for the Zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YJ Nate
05-03-2016, 11:17 AM
If you think this is cool, check out the pi zero!

$5, and the thing is tiny. If you can find them in stock. There's a bit of a high demand.

The IT geek in me is showing here.. I built a Raspberry Pi based system in a Derby for a security conference I attend every year.

http://gallery.undrground.org//plog-content/images/tech/hack-my-derby/img_20150918_115342528.jpg

You can get into all of the nasty details here:

https://www.undrground.org/hmd2015

The Zero is a fraction of the size of the Pi A that i used in the derby.

http://gallery.undrground.org//plog-content/images/tech/hack-my-derby/img_20160412_132621.jpg

The device on the Left in that picture is the Pi A, previously the smallest Pi they made. On the Right is the Pi zero.

I'm in the process of building an info system for the LJ using the Pi zero and the oled display that I used in the derby. It'll do things like time and temperature. Maybe read OBD-II over bluetooth.

Cool stuff.