PDA

View Full Version : Clayton Leafs

07Negative
06-24-2012, 01:56 PM
So I finally got around to installing the Clayton OffRoad leaf springs. What a P.I.T.A it was! You fellas that have taken out a rear shackle bolt would know my pain. My OEM shackle bushings were shot! The dealer does not sale just bushings. They want to sale you the entire thing for $150. So I got some used shackles from a Jeep yard near Sacramento, Ca, for $20. The bushings were in rather good shape. I figured they'll last me until I go up that other inch in the suspension.
I replaced some Rusty's 4.5" leaf packs. They were pretty decent, but man it seems like there was no gradual decline in the bushings aging processes. It's as if one day they are fine and the next they are shot.
So I decided on some Claytons. I've got about 2,000 miles on em now. They are far superior!
I talked to the fella that owns Clayton. He said the leafs intended use is not for towing, but on occasion like I do, he stated they would be fine. Which they are. They ride so much better than the Rusty's leafs. The leafs are stupid expensive is my only gripe. However I would say I would buy them again if I had too.
However, when money starts flowing again. I'll be coiling the rear.

xjrev10
06-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Quality isn't cheap

Mudderoy
06-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Quality isn't cheap

Quality almost always = higher price.
Higher price does not always = quality.

xj4life2
06-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Amen !!!!
Sometimes you pay for the name.

07Negative
06-28-2012, 12:37 AM
Let me first state. There is more than one way to skin a cat. You talk to a cat like Steve and you'll probably never find the guy buying premade leaf packs. But then there's fellas like me and chances are, you'll never see me piecing together a leaf pack.
So with that said. I paid for what I thought was the bank for my buck. Made in U.S.A and distributed by a independently owned business. I know when I had a job once upon a time ago. I rather enjoyed a pay check. So at least I know some fella had a pay check for at least another day or two by me dropping a little extra coin.
My other attitude towards products is. If you don't like it. Don't buy it again.
I've never spent damn good money on a product and got poor service. And that's my appreciation towards such items and the company's that represent them.
But honestly. If I were to do all this stuff over. I'd buy some Rusty's leaf packs for $250 for a pair. Work my ass for a Ford 9". Cryo axles, ring & pinion. Link the SOB and funk leaf packs. There's a reason why the Wranglers are now coiled with arms. It drives and wheels way better!
In the end. Don't blow your money.

Mudderoy
06-28-2012, 03:01 AM
Let me first state. There is more than one way to skin a cat. You talk to a cat like Steve and you'll probably never find the guy buying premade leaf packs. But then there's fellas like me and chances are, you'll never see me piecing together a leaf pack.
So with that said. I paid for what I thought was the bank for my buck. Made in U.S.A and distributed by a independently owned business. I know when I had a job once upon a time ago. I rather enjoyed a pay check. So at least I know some fella had a pay check for at least another day or two by me dropping a little extra coin.
My other attitude towards products is. If you don't like it. Don't buy it again.
I've never spent damn good money on a product and got poor service. And that's my appreciation towards such items and the company's that represent them.
But honestly. If I were to do all this stuff over. I'd buy some Rusty's leaf packs for $250 for a pair. Work my ass for a Ford 9". Cryo axles, ring & pinion. Link the SOB and funk leaf packs. There's a reason why the Wranglers are now coiled with arms. It drives and wheels way better!
In the end. Don't blow your money.

I hope you didn't misunderstand me. I'm just kind of doing a public service warning. Just because something is expensive doesn't make it good. Someone that has had two sets of leaves and the more expensive option is noticeable then their opinion is worth a lot.

4.3LXJ
06-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Coils will always ride better than leaves. The reason is that leaves have a built in friction device, the rubbing of the leaves against each other. That is why leaves need less shock than coils, which have virtually no internal friction. However, there are trade offs. Leaves are also more stable and much easier to set up. It all depends on what you want. I am completely surprised that someone has not set up a crawler with the Model A type front and rear leaf springs. That was the most flexible factory suspension ever made for the nasty roads those vehicles had to traverse every day before the asphalt jungle came to pass.

Mudderoy
06-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Coils will always ride better than leaves. The reason is that leaves have a built in friction device, the rubbing of the leaves against each other. That is why leaves need less shock than coils, which have virtually no internal friction. However, there are trade offs. Leaves are also more stable and much easier to set up. It all depends on what you want. I am completely surprised that someone has not set up a crawler with the Model A type front and rear leaf springs. That was the most flexible factory suspension ever made for the nasty roads those vehicles had to traverse every day before the asphalt jungle came to pass.

Oh this is very interesting. So my 1983 4x4 Chevy truck had it right! Leaves front and back. :thumbsup:

4.3LXJ
06-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Oh this is very interesting. So my 1983 4x4 Chevy truck had it right! Leaves front and back. :thumbsup:

I don't want to steal Dee Jay's thread here, but there are some interesting things you can do to leaves, you cannot do with coils. So it is a trade off. As more flexy and better riding 4X4s have been demanded by the public, the move has been away from leaves to coils which can do things leaves cannot do.

07Negative
06-28-2012, 10:56 PM
I didn't misunderstand ya.
And I gotta agree with Steve. 2 different setups will give you 2 different characteristics. If it gets you out wheelin and exploring. Then so be it.
I rather like the ideal of leaf conversion in the front of a XJ. It'll probably be uncomfortable on pavement (daily driver). But If it's mainly a wheeling vehicle, who cares? Maybe when I get a job I'll buy that other XJ I've wanted to experiment on. Keep it cheap and dirty.