PDA

View Full Version : Get closer to the sun, yes or no?

muddeprived
07-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Should I get my jeep closer to the sun?

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/LTB/DSCF6397.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/LTB/DSCF6393.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/LTB/DSCF6399.jpg

I have 2" coil spacers and a pair of Old Man Emu AAL's sitting in my living room. My original plan was to add this to my existing 4" lift so my previous 32's would have more breathing room. Now i've downsized to 31's (true 31" tall) and wondering if I should still do it or not. I don't really NEED it so it's mostly for looks. I have 1" spacers on it now and those would come off and be replaced with the 2" spacer so I'll net just 1" more front and rear. Think i should lift it 1 more inch?

My mother is on vacation and left me the house....and garage so If i were to do anything then I'd want to do it now in a garage instead of on a gravel parking lot.

Dirt Dogg Rydas
07-28-2009, 08:58 AM
A little more clearance couldn't hurt.
I don't think it would look bad.

COSXJFAN
07-28-2009, 08:58 AM
DO IT!!:smiley-talk024::coffee:

J/K!! Seriously, do it!!

BlueXJ
07-28-2009, 09:47 AM
It's Black and you will burn up. No amount of A/C can help you once the metal turns cherry red. You spent too many years in a freezer and your body is not conditioned for the extreme heat. How many arguments do you want for stayinmg at my level?

DETOURS
07-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Use the force Luke! :rolleyes:

ol"blue
07-28-2009, 10:06 AM
My opinion is to stay where you're at. You don't need any more clearance, and all that work is unnecessary.
Sell that stuff and buy something you do need.

kmanxj
07-28-2009, 10:11 AM
slap it on there. You already have the parts. AND THE TIME. Why not?

muddeprived
07-28-2009, 10:36 AM
It's Black and you will burn up. No amount of A/C can help you once the metal turns cherry red. You spent too many years in a freezer and your body is not conditioned for the extreme heat. How many arguments do you want for stayinmg at my level?

You got a point there.....:rotfl2:

muddeprived
07-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Do it....Don't do it. I want to do both, not do it, and do it. I guess i'll let this poll decide for me. Keep on voting people.

What's the limit for our stock steering? I was told the steering can still work around 5" but it's pushing it. I already have 4" up front so i'll be sitting at 5" and stock steering if I did this.(this is without any drop pitman arm and trackbar)

COSXJFAN
07-28-2009, 12:11 PM
You don't have an adjustable TB??

muddeprived
07-28-2009, 01:07 PM
You don't have an adjustable TB??

Oh yeah I have one, the JKS bar. I meant that I don't have a drop pitman arm or drop trackbar bracket.

quadracer0387
07-28-2009, 02:49 PM
im afraid you will have the little tire big lift syndrome (ltbl) i like it where its at... plus you will prolly get more driveline vibs...
so do you want to sell those add-a-leaves to me?

96xj
07-28-2009, 03:54 PM
the sun is really hot think about it , i would aim towards the MOON if i where you :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::r otfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rot fl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl 2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

UKJeepThang
07-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Higher! :D

You know it makes sense!!!! :D

Melissa
07-28-2009, 05:11 PM
I voted don't do it. Looks great now, why mess with perfection :popcorn:

muddeprived
07-28-2009, 06:07 PM
im afraid you will have the little tire big lift syndrome (ltbl) i like it where its at... plus you will prolly get more driveline vibs...
so do you want to sell those add-a-leaves to me?

You'll be the first I contact if I do. You want the spacers too? They are 2" (true 2") spacers.

muddeprived
07-28-2009, 06:10 PM
I voted don't do it. Looks great now, why mess with perfection :popcorn:

Well thanks for the compliment. ;)

The no's are catching up with the yes. Let's see what the final score ends up being. Either way, I'm happy. :)

firehawk
07-28-2009, 06:39 PM
I voted no, but after thinking about it....GO FOR IT!:D

If you do, then you will need bigger tires, and you will sell me your LTB's REALLY REALLY, INSANELY CHEAP!!:rotfl2:

BTW, if you decide not to, if the front coils spacers aren't spoken for, I'd be interested.

muddeprived
07-29-2009, 05:12 PM
I voted no, but after thinking about it....GO FOR IT!:D

If you do, then you will need bigger tires, and you will sell me your LTB's REALLY REALLY, INSANELY CHEAP!!:rotfl2:

BTW, if you decide not to, if the front coils spacers aren't spoken for, I'd be interested.

Bigger tires? Oh man here we go again. Let me keep the ltb's for at least 3 months before I move onto set #14(for real!). :rotfl2:

Primo
08-03-2009, 09:39 PM
I say do it man! I want the same a good true 5" no more no less. I have almost the flip of what you've got 2" add a leaf's and 2" coil spacers.

Do it!!!!!

whowey
08-03-2009, 11:28 PM
If you are doing it for the 'cool' factor.. you are doing it for the wrong reason...

Remember XJ's are one of the worst vehicles out there for 'add an inch..add a ton' syndrome. Everytime you increase the lift.. you have to start addressing components that either were okay before.. or really should have been replaced and now are completely unsatisfactory.

muddeprived
08-04-2009, 07:56 AM
If you are doing it for the 'cool' factor.. you are doing it for the wrong reason...

Remember XJ's are one of the worst vehicles out there for 'add an inch..add a ton' syndrome. Everytime you increase the lift.. you have to start addressing components that either were okay before.. or really should have been replaced and now are completely unsatisfactory.

Yeah this is true but I got everything covered already. The only possible issue with going up one inch would be pinion angle because I plan to install this extra leaf and lower the extended shackles one slot. I have two different sized shims ready in case the pinion angle changes. Other than that everything is adjustable and can be set for 5".

Voldemort
08-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Go as high as you can

muddeprived
08-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Go as high as you can

3 feet? :drool:

muddeprived
08-05-2009, 11:13 AM
It's gonna or not gonna happen on friday. So i'll check the voting and then lift or not lift. Vote if you haven't. You are making the most important vote of your lifetime, way more important than Obama's election. VOTE NOW!!! :)

Mudderoy
08-05-2009, 11:16 AM
I think the only two people that matter are you and your girlfriend.

Tell her you're thinking of adding an inch or two. If her eyes get watery and she gets a big smile, I'd proceed with the lift.

muddeprived
08-05-2009, 11:22 AM
I think the only two people that matter are you and your girlfriend.

Tell her you're thinking of adding an inch or two. If her eyes get watery and she gets a big smile, I'd proceed with the lift.

Yeah I asked her when I first came up with the idea. She said "i don't care, do whatever you want just don't make a $100 mod turn into a $1000 mod." :rotfl2:

....which usually happens. LOL

Mudderoy
08-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Yeah I asked her when I first came up with the idea. She said "i don't care, do whatever you want just don't make a $100 mod turn into a $1000 mod." :rotfl2:

....which usually happens. LOL

Wow! So you guys have been together though at least one mod. :rotfl2:

muddeprived
08-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Wow! So you guys have been together though at least one mod. :rotfl2:

:rotfl2: Oh yeah, two jeeps and 7 years.......ALOT of mods lol.

Primo
08-05-2009, 11:53 PM
:rotfl2: Oh yeah, two jeeps and 7 years.......ALOT of mods lol.

DUDE she's a keeper give er the gold!

muddeprived
08-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Eight people voted to get closer to the sun and only 5 said no so I went ahead and started on the ULTIMATE 1" UPGRADE :rolleyes:.

i got the rear AAL on and it raised it 1.5". It still rides the same as it did without the AAL but I do feel a little more firmness when cornering and turning, which is what I was hoping for so I could keep the rear sway bar off. Since it raised it a little more than I planned for, I tried to put the spring on the next hole up on the shackle (to lower it 1/2") BUT for some reason RC made the 2nd holes smaller so the leaf spring bolt won't fit in there. WTF ROUGH COUNTRY??!! BAN BAN BAN :cop::cop::cop:

The rear now has two old man emu AAL's, old man emu 2" HD leaf pack, and RC 2" shackles. The front hasn't been done yet and I'm not sure if I will do it since it looks pretty good the way it is now but temptation might win me over and I'll end up doing it anyways.

muddeprived
08-09-2009, 02:05 PM
With 1 AAL:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/LTB/DSCF6391.jpg

After 2nd AAL:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/ome%20aal/DSCF6423.jpg

Mudderoy
08-09-2009, 02:07 PM
The angle is different on the two shots, but you can still tell it's sits better in the back. I have 5.5" lift in the rear and 4.5" in the front, and now it sits level.

Your XJ really looks nice. That dark paint with the dark wheels looks good. Love those tires, just wish (for me) they got 60/70k miles out of them.

muddeprived
08-09-2009, 02:13 PM
The angle is different on the two shots, but you can still tell it's sits better in the back. I have 5.5" lift in the rear and 4.5" in the front, and now it sits level.

Your XJ really looks nice. That dark paint with the dark wheels looks good. Love those tires, just wish (for me) they got 60/70k miles out of them.

Yeah my gf took the original pictures and she's about a 8" shorter than I am so that threw off the angle. I asked her to take the picture but she was cooking and that would have delayed the MUCH NEEDED food so I let her cook and took the picture myself. :D

I got 5" in the rear, 4" in front so pretty similar to yours. I think it looks better with the as$ up just a little higher.

Thanks for the compliments. I gotta do something about the side trim that's turning white.

Mudderoy
08-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Yeah my gf took the original pictures and she's about a 8" shorter than I am so that threw off the angle. I asked her to take the picture but she was cooking and that would have delayed the MUCH NEEDED food so I let her cook and took the picture myself. :D

I got 5" in the rear, 4" in front so pretty similar to yours. I think it looks better with the as$ up just a little higher.

Thanks for the compliments. I gotta do something about the side trim that's turning white.

Yeah I was going to mention the trim, but it seems I have ideas and opions about everything. :rotfl2:

I've seen people take a torch to it (bushwackers actually) and use black shoe polish. I think I'd try the shoe polish.

muddeprived
08-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Yeah I was going to mention the trim, but it seems I have ideas and opions about everything. :rotfl2:

I've seen people take a torch to it (bushwackers actually) and use black shoe polish. I think I'd try the shoe polish.

I heard about the torch method when I had the TJ. It works BUT you have to do it perfectly or else you will see the imperfections when the sun shines on it. I tried peanut butter before and what a waste of time that was. It did nothing but attract a dog which I caught licking it. Polish sounds do-able but is it permanent? I'm thinking of just painting them so it's done forever instead of having to touch em up every now and then.

Mudderoy
08-09-2009, 03:09 PM
I heard about the torch method when I had the TJ. It works BUT you have to do it perfectly or else you will see the imperfections when the sun shines on it. I tried peanut butter before and what a waste of time that was. It did nothing but attract a dog which I caught licking it. Polish sounds do-able but is it permanent? I'm thinking of just painting them so it's done forever instead of having to touch em up every now and then.

Mine are painted so I don't know first hand. I think the shoe polish is very good, but it requires touch ups.

Primo
08-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Pop those suckers off and have them paint mached!!!!! You'll love it

muddeprived
08-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Pop those suckers off and have them paint mached!!!!! You'll love it

i'm gonna tape em off and paint em on the vehicle. Less work for my lazy butt. :D

2000XJ
08-09-2009, 07:58 PM
It looks great!

I'd paint the molding. Just becareful because that molding is rubber so a typical paint may not adhere to it and just peel right off after a few days.

muddeprived
08-09-2009, 08:10 PM
It looks great!

I'd paint the molding. Just becareful because that molding is rubber so a typical paint may not adhere to it and just peel right off after a few days.

Rubber? It feels like some kind of hard plastic. What kind of paint do you recommend?

Primo
08-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Rubber? It feels like some kind of hard plastic. What kind of paint do you recommend?

Clean it really well with the proper pre paint cleaner and use automotive grade paint with a flex agent additive.
It is made of urathane that is hard but still flexable.

You can get the cleaner and the paint from a local auto paint supplyer and they can even match it to your factory paint from the door sticker.
I have seen things like air powerd airasol cans that have screw off tops and a niple that you just fill with your compressor, and a lot of afordable paint guns.
But to have it done professonally wont cost much either, I have a ricer with a body kit that is made of urathane and it only cost me $110.0 to paint both front and back so ???

2000XJ
08-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Clean it really well with the proper pre paint cleaner and use automotive grade paint with a flex agent additive.
It is made of urathane that is hard but still flexable.

You can get the cleaner and the paint from a local auto paint supplyer and they can even match it to your factory paint from the door sticker.
I have seen things like air powerd airasol cans that have screw off tops and a niple that you just fill with your compressor, and a lot of afordable paint guns.
But to have it done professonally wont cost much either, I have a ricer with a body kit that is made of urathane and it only cost me $110.0 to paint both front and back so ???

What he said! :thumbsup:

jimwww
08-17-2009, 01:12 AM
Just use Sunscreen 9000 and you will be fine.
I am of the bushwacker crowd actually - put a set of those on and it will look excellent.

muddeprived
08-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Just use Sunscreen 9000 and you will be fine.
I am of the bushwacker crowd actually - put a set of those on and it will look excellent.

bushwackers? Nah, i rather not waste my $$ on a brittle fender flare. I hit things often. :D

jimwww
08-18-2009, 02:39 AM
I am looking forward to getting them instead of a vehicle inspection notice + a ticket. I know they do that on hwy 99 around here.

muddeprived
08-18-2009, 08:10 AM
I am looking forward to getting them instead of a vehicle inspection notice + a ticket. I know they do that on hwy 99 around here.

Yeah I understand. been there, done that but instead I went with a narrower tire cuz tires don't.....break. :D If I went with any type of flare, it would be rusty's flex flares.

jugbutt
09-04-2009, 05:54 PM
oh heck go for it man!:driving: