PDA

View Full Version : Door Hinge Bolt Snapped

Silverfoot
06-12-2012, 07:58 PM
I noticed this evening that my driver's door sagged a little bit as soon as it opened. So I decided to tighten up the bolts a little to get it back where it's supposed to be. I started with the top screw on the top hinge and almost as soon as I started actually getting tight it snapped off about a half inch down the shaft from the head of the screw. Anybody have any advice on how to get the rest of the shaft out? Also, once I get it out, would I be better off picking up a bolt at an auto parts place (auto zone, advance auto, etc.) or somewhere like Home Depot or Lowe's?

XJ Wheeler
06-12-2012, 09:27 PM
If there's any of the bolt sticking out you could try some pliers, like a visegrip. If not, there's these bits called bolt extractors. I've never used them. I usually have to drill out the hole and re-tap it. You'll want some penetrant on there before trying to remove it, should help a lot.

For the bolts i find the autoparts quite lacking, the big hardware stores have quite a bit of selection for standard hardware, but again lacking in metric. These Jeeps use a lot of metric. The best places I've found are the local, smaller hardware stores. If they don't have it they can usually order it too.

Silverfoot
06-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Sadly the bolt broke off about 1/2" deep in the hole so vice grips won't do me much good :-/ Thanks for the rest of the advice though, I'll have to go looking for bolt extractors you mentioned.

oderdene
06-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Sadly the bolt broke off about 1/2" deep in the hole so vice grips won't do me much good :-/ Thanks for the rest of the advice though, I'll have to go looking for bolt extractors you mentioned.

long time ago, I removed 3 broken bolt
if it is in through hole (i hope so) use smaller (start from 2mm or 3mm) drill bit and drill it. then go bigger size and try to torque bolt remaining until went to backside of hole.

gary63
06-13-2012, 06:59 AM
if you have some place to get them revers drill bits work better as you are drilling sometime the bit will undo the bolt.

Silverfoot
06-13-2012, 09:38 AM
long time ago, I removed 3 broken bolt
if it is in through hole (i hope so) use smaller (start from 2mm or 3mm) drill bit and drill it. then go bigger size and try to torque bolt remaining until went to backside of hole.

I'll have to check if it's a through hole when I get home from work today.

if you have some place to get them revers drill bits work better as you are drilling sometime the bit will undo the bolt.

If it's not a through hole for the screw I'll definitely look into finding a reverse drill bit.

Thanks for the help guys! Hopefully I'll be able to get around to messing with it today. I'll post up if/when I get it fixed.

drakan1908
06-19-2012, 08:12 PM
This is what you need http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-screw-extractor-set-w-vinyl/p-00966196000P?prdNo=16&blockNo=16&blockType=G16 You should be able to pick up a set locally, I don't know if you can buy just one in the size you need. Make sure you replace the bolt with a 10.9 grade metric bolt, assuming the bolt is metric. A 10.9 grade metric bolt is about the same as a grade 9 SAE bolt.

Silverfoot
06-20-2012, 06:49 AM
This is what you need http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-screw-extractor-set-w-vinyl/p-00966196000P?prdNo=16&blockNo=16&blockType=G16 You should be able to pick up a set locally, I don't know if you can buy just one in the size you need. Make sure you replace the bolt with a 10.9 grade metric bolt, assuming the bolt is metric. A 10.9 grade metric bolt is about the same as a grade 9 SAE bolt.

Thanks drakan! I haven't gotten around to fixing this yet - had a bunch to do to get ready for my trip this past weekend and just didn't get around to it. Should be happening in the next week or two.

drakan1908
06-20-2012, 08:29 PM
I was thinking about your door sag problem and it is probably like my drivers door, it needs new pins and bushings. Mine are wore and as you open the door it drops down a little. I priced the pins and bushings a few years ago and they were about $6.00 at Advance. When you are replacing the bolt/screw you could take the door off,fix the bolt and replace the pins and bushings. You probably will need to pull the door so you can get in there and get to the bolt any way.

Silverfoot
06-25-2012, 07:00 AM
Still haven't gotten around to this, have had too much going on. I'll be sure and post up when I get around to it.