PDA

View Full Version : Fix runs in Spray on Bedliner

olds-cool
06-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Coating some part of your body with that spray on Duplicolor bedliner? Get a little overzealous with the spray nozzle or a little too close and got the runs? No fear, just act quickly and the crisis can be adverted. Grab a rag with a loose weave, in my case it was an old polo shirt my kids grew out of. While the bedliner is still tacky, lightly dab the rag on and around the runs. Don't wipe, just dab. The rag will pick up the excess bedliner and still keeps the same type of pattern that it had coming out of the can.

The can I used this afternoon must have had some extra pressure than usual because I managed to make it run in at least 3 or 4 places along my door. This isn't the first time I've sprayed this stuff and was trying to do light coats from at least a foot back to avoid the runs but it happened anyways. Using this trick, you can't even tell it ran at all. Everything looks uniform as if it had came out of the can that way.

XJ Wheeler
06-11-2012, 03:14 AM
I hate getting the runs...:p

olds-cool
06-11-2012, 07:26 AM
I hate getting the runs...:p

Me too. They look like :ass: Think of the rag as a piece of :bogroll: to clean them up.

bluedragon436
06-11-2012, 11:59 PM
I'll have to remember this when I get ready to paint the sliders and hopefully front bumper I am working on getting for the Jeep as well as the roof rack I have.. When I sprayed my stock back bumper with the bedliner, I got a run or two, and I just wiped it off and resprayed over it... If you look though you can still see where I wiped it off... wish I would have known about this trick... OH well.. that's what it's all about, learning and sharing what we learn...

olds-cool
06-12-2012, 08:12 AM
I figured this out totally by accident when I was spraying the other day. I was sitting there freaking out about how crappy the runs looked. I quickly flashed back to trying to sand this stuff down in the past, not a fun time. Just then I looked to my right and there was the old polo shirt. I figured it was worth a shot and it couldn't look any worse than it already did. To my suprise it worked out perfect. :smiley-gen165:

nateyz2000
06-12-2012, 10:31 AM
My sliders came out great... Until I bumped one and it landed on my arm... It ripped off all my arm hair! I must say, my sliders are a bit hairy...

Nate
<><

XJ Wheeler
06-12-2012, 06:55 PM
My sliders came out great... Until I bumped one and it landed on my arm... It ripped off all my arm hair! I must say, my sliders are a bit hairy...

Nate
<><

Hairy sliders, sounds like cajun food.:D

nateyz2000
06-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Hairy sliders, sounds like cajun food.:D

Lol good call...

Nate
<><

Cjsmithfl
10-24-2013, 06:02 PM
An old friend told me to use scotch tape a long time ago while the paint is still wet. Your gunna have to blend it a little and take y

cpttuna
03-15-2014, 07:16 PM
This is a picture of my 78 Bronco. The roof was done with Hercules bedliner about 12 years ago. I used a brush and have not touched it since. I believe I prepped it with a paper towel and windex.

bluedragon436
04-09-2014, 11:22 PM
Well as I've picked up a "new" XJ to build up, and it could use a new paint job... I might be making use of this little trick quite a bit.. Unless I can find a killer deal on someone that does professional spray on liner... Then I'll get the inside and the outside done professionally..

cpttuna
04-11-2014, 08:33 PM
If the bedliner comes on sale, the hood just may get a coat.