PDA

View Full Version : Is this too much lift

AJ99
07-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Ok i have the RE 4.5 in lift. I just got some 2 in spacers to go on too. I put them on and i think i may end up having to get a drop pitman arm. Also for the extra two inches am i going to have to get different LCAs? I have aftermarket ones.

I drove it yesterday and got a weird vibration from the front end along with a metal rubbing sound that sounds like my brakes which it could be since i got towed home about 25 miles down a dirt trail in the mountains. I havent checked them though.

I will take some pics of my angle on my steering so you all can see it

kmanxj
07-26-2009, 02:53 PM
adjustable arms orrrr?????? and i am at 6.5. If they arent adjustable arms, get some DB's you wont ever regret it!!!

N1TZU
07-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Hi AJ99, I'm no expert at this jeep modding stuff,but when lifting a jeep beyond 3 to 4"s it will change the wheel base and the drive shaft angles-and tie rod angle.With the research I did before doing my lift I found drop brackets are an option or Adjustable LCA and UCA were a must to make wheel base correct. Then when I got the lift done,about 6"s,I had a noise/vibration in the front driveshaft.Having the adjustables gave me the ability to adjust the pinion angle to stop the noise/vibration without compromizing the caster angle.Caster angle is very important for good handling.The noise may have been the drive shaft.Best of luck on your build and hope you get it all worked out.........

muddeprived
07-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Ok i have the RE 4.5 in lift. I just got some 2 in spacers to go on too. I put them on and i think i may end up having to get a drop pitman arm. Also for the extra two inches am i going to have to get different LCAs? I have aftermarket ones.

I drove it yesterday and got a weird vibration from the front end along with a metal rubbing sound that sounds like my brakes which it could be since i got towed home about 25 miles down a dirt trail in the mountains. I havent checked them though.

I will take some pics of my angle on my steering so you all can see it

Take off the front shaft and drive it. See if the vibes go away. if they do, then we know your pinion angle needs adjusted.

AJ99
07-27-2009, 04:53 PM
I dont have my front DS on right now. I still hear it. How far apart should the wheels be (front to back)?

N1TZU
07-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Hey AJ99,Just wondering if you did shims for the rear axle pinion angle and if your did a slip yoke eliminator on your transfer case.......

AJ99
07-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Yes i have shims in my rear and i dont have a SYE. My rear is still at my original height of 4.5. I need to get some shackles or leafs.

BlueXJ
07-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Right about 100 inches to 104 inches is what I have heard.

AJ99
07-27-2009, 11:37 PM
LOL i was more asking if it was too much lift for what i have or am i going to have to get different LCAs. I believe mine are adjustable.. but i talked to a buddy and he is going to build me a set of long arms. so that will take care of that :)

muddeprived
07-28-2009, 07:33 AM
LOL i was more asking if it was too much lift for what i have or am i going to have to get different LCAs. I believe mine are adjustable.. but i talked to a buddy and he is going to build me a set of long arms. so that will take care of that :)

What kind of long arm setup are you gonna run? Triangulated? 5-link? 3-link? radius?

N1TZU
07-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Hey AJ99,It is highly recommended if a person lifts a jeep beyond 3"s to do a SYE.It will take a huge amount of stress off the transfer case.That may be where the noise/vibes are coming from.......Bob.....

AJ99
07-28-2009, 05:29 PM
I am not entirely sure what type he is going to be building.. what are the advantages between them?

muddeprived
07-28-2009, 05:59 PM
I am not entirely sure what type he is going to be building.. what are the advantages between them?

They are all methods of long-arming your xj. They each of their pros and cons but they all work pretty well. RE uses the Radius arm setups, Full Traction uses their 5-link setup, and I think RockKrawler uses their 3-link setup.

AJ99
07-28-2009, 10:11 PM
what are the pros and cons of each one?