PDA

View Full Version : New winch mount and round eyes

panama red
05-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Bought a new mile marker 8k from the truck and jeep fest, for $269, and had my buddy weld up a mount for it. Also picked up a set of hella 500s that I wired in to the factory harness.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c260/88swampedmj/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6519.jpg

Even got a chance to use it last Sunday when I broke an axle in Bridgeport. this winch is a beast. Pulled my rig right over some nasty boulders.

The winch mount is just a chopped down harbor frieght winch plate welded to 3 pieces of 2x4 tubing all welded up together.

For the lights I cut 4 squares of flat plate and used them to reinforce the fiberglass header panel. Mounted the lights up side down with the supplied bracket. Little brighter than the factory lights and use the factory headlight switch.

What do you think?

Mudderoy
05-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Bought a new mile marker 8k from the truck and jeep fest, for $269, and had my buddy weld up a mount for it. Also picked up a set of hella 500s that I wired in to the factory harness.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c260/88swampedmj/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6519.jpg

Even got a chance to use it last Sunday when I broke an axle in Bridgeport. this winch is a beast. Pulled my rig right over some nasty boulders.

The winch mount is just a chopped down harbor frieght winch plate welded to 3 pieces of 2x4 tubing all welded up together.

For the lights I cut 4 squares of flat plate and used them to reinforce the fiberglass header panel. Mounted the lights up side down with the supplied bracket. Little brighter than the factory lights and use the factory headlight switch.

What do you think?

I like that it's different and the work involved but I'm not a round headlight fan on XJ's. To me it's like putting TJ flares on an XJ, it's not a TJ it's an XJ. Nothing against the TJ's my wife's TJ is great.

Certainly is one of the most bada$$ looking rigs we have on xjtalk

4.3LXJ
05-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Gives it a predatory look

panama red
05-30-2012, 06:18 PM
I like that it's different and the work involved but I'm not a round headlight fan on XJ's. To me it's like putting TJ flares on an XJ, it's not a TJ it's an XJ. Nothing against the TJ's my wife's TJ is great.

Certainly is one of the most bada$$ looking rigs we have on xjtalk

Well with j10 front f150 rear waggy leafs front explorer leafs rear yj shackles cj7 shackle hangers tj tcase e350 brake master Chevy knuckles and so on.... Im not to worried about staying authentic. I've built dozens of jeeps and this is the first one with round lights, figured it was about time. Plus the squares looked stupid sticking out with no trim or blinkers. Thanks for the complements.

Brasscatz
05-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Love it. It makes your Jeep stand out from the crowd for sure. I've contemplated round lights many times. Nice winch too!

cantab27
05-30-2012, 10:51 PM
tis a cool look..........i like it ...plus tj flares on a xj work...why they work cause its a cheap fix when ya gotta cover ya mud's by law...

panama red
05-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Oh yeah forgot to add mines completely legal here in Texas.

cantab27
05-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Oh yeah forgot to add mines completely legal here in Texas.

NOW ya just showing off Andrew :D...we down here have to have 80% of the tire covered...if that makes sense...........would love to run flares less, tis a cool look..:thumbsup:

XJ Wheeler
05-31-2012, 01:29 AM
Kinda cyborg-esque, some red led lights in there would really be menacing.:mad0090:

And... you must live in a different Texas than me. Gotta have a few more lights here to be street legal.;)

panama red
05-31-2012, 07:51 AM
Kinda cyborg-esque, some red led lights in there would really be menacing.:mad0090:

And... you must live in a different Texas than me. Gotta have a few more lights here to be street legal.;)

You're right, I had the side markers mounted behind the grill. Just haven't put them back on yet.