PDA

View Full Version : vBulletin can be confusing...

Mudderoy
07-26-2009, 09:44 AM
When you first start using the vBulletin software (I think my first time was when I started visiting NAXJA) it is a bit confusing.

I saw pictures posted but I didn't understand how they were posting them. At first I figured you would upload the pictures to the website. I found the "Attach" thingy at the bottom of the post, but that didn't look anything like what I saw in the other posts.

Eventually I figured out that the preferred method of displaying pictures was to upload them somewhere else and just put the link in the post.

You may find this strange as did I until I started thinking about it. Pictures can be pretty big, file size wise, and with a few hundred people uploading pictures, well the computer that runs the vBulletin software could run out of disk space pretty quickly. Basically the board would be down.

I write this because I've been seeing warnings that some of our new users have exceeded their allocated disk space, which is tiny.

Here is a thread you need to read so you'll understand the preferred method of uploading and displaying pictures in your posts.

Also if you want to display a video, youtube is an excellent choice as it will play directly from the post.

:link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=174)

muddeprived
07-27-2009, 08:54 AM
So does uploading pictures to photobucket and posting the link in your post take up too much space on the system?

Mudderoy
07-27-2009, 09:21 AM
So does uploading pictures to photobucket and posting the link in your post take up too much space on the system?

It uses virtually NO space. The only space it uses is the characters in the post.

So say you upload a picture that is only 50k to the xjtalk system, that's 50,000 bytes of storage on the system. Now if you upload that same picture to photobucket and put the link in your post, the link is what 50 characters, give or take? So your talking about 50 bytes instead of 50,000 bytes. Even if the picture is 25k, that's still a huge difference.

muddeprived
07-27-2009, 10:01 AM
It uses virtually NO space. The only space it uses is the characters in the post.

So say you upload a picture that is only 50k to the xjtalk system, that's 50,000 bytes of storage on the system. Now if you upload that same picture to photobucket and put the link in your post, the link is what 50 characters, give or take? So your talking about 50 bytes instead of 50,000 bytes. Even if the picture is 25k, that's still a huge difference.

Ok then I will continue being the picture whore that I am cuz i use photobucket. :D

Voldemort
07-27-2009, 11:34 AM
SO when I go to post a pic that is not in my photobucket, I'll usually right-click the pic and select copy image location. I then use the little pic icon and paste the addy in the box resulting in the image coming up in the post. Is this the same as if I was using photobucket or is it adding the pic to the system?

Mudderoy
07-27-2009, 12:09 PM
SO when I go to post a pic that is not in my photobucket, I'll usually right-click the pic and select copy image location. I then use the little pic icon and paste the addy in the box resulting in the image coming up in the post. Is this the same as if I was using photobucket or is it adding the pic to the system?

Doing that is the same as using a link from Photobucket, or any other web server on the Internet. The picture is downloaded from that location to your browser. The storage is that server, and the bandwidth is used from THEIR Internet connection not the connection that the xjtalk servers use.

This is called HOT LINKING and many websites DO NOT like it since it uses their bandwidth and they don't get ANY benefit from it. That is why sometimes when you hot link the image intended will not display. You may see the correct image because it is in your browsers cache, but other's will see a picture saying something about PLEASE DO NOT HOT LINK.

We all do the hot link stuff, and most sites really don't care. Photobucket is all about HOT LINKING that's their business, at least part of it.