PDA

View Full Version : Leaf spring ?

Punisher
07-25-2009, 12:36 PM
Ok guys I'm sure you've talked about this before... I'm going to go with the rough country 4.5 lift. Now that I'm on a budget should I go with the add on leaf or should I get the new leaf spring? I'm going to think you all going to say buy the new leafs... but really, whats the does the add on really do? just thought i'd asked. :confused: :smiley-talk024:

Punisher
07-25-2009, 12:39 PM
I know I'm probably asking some dumb ?s but I uesd to own a 91 Jeep Wrangler and I know more about them then I do a cherokee...LOL :indifferent0028:

Dirt Dogg Rydas
07-25-2009, 01:12 PM
the AAL will give you lift but in most cases not enough. That's what i got on mine but the rear is two inches lower than the front. now I'm left with looking to do a bastard pack cuz the new springs are kinda expensive for me.
plus you'll save around $60 with the full spring pack.

also check the XJtalk vendors I know there's one that will give you a discount on rough country products just for being a member here. I can't remember who right now

Punisher
07-25-2009, 01:23 PM
I was thinking the same thing with the AAL, wouldnt be strong enough to bend the stock spring and get a full 4.5 lift.. I know its 459.95 for the AAL kit and 655.95 for the new spring kit but I just thought I asked which would be the better kit then I'll just have to save up for a little more money....:rolleyes:

Dirt Dogg Rydas
07-25-2009, 02:14 PM
wish i would of saved up for the full spring pack. good thing is i can do the bastard pack, now i just need to find some good leafsprings cheap

Dirt Dogg Rydas
07-25-2009, 02:18 PM
This is the vendor I was talking about. He'll give you any info you need and with the discount you'll atleast save the shiping cost
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=211

Voldemort
07-25-2009, 02:29 PM
The biggest problem is that most people have old shitty leafs when they do the AAL so it either does not give the right amount of lift or it sags quickly.

Punisher
07-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the site... but I noticed on the 4.5 kit they're saying its recommended to get a SYE? but I thought that its's recommended for the 6", I know i need to get the control arm drop kit with the 4.5... This is what I mean I'm trying to get a list and differnet sites are saying differnet things I just want to know all the things I need for this 4.5 lift...:confused:

Punisher
07-25-2009, 03:05 PM
The biggest problem is that most people have old shitty leafs when they do the AAL so it either does not give the right amount of lift or it sags quickly.

I'm sure mine are shitty. although it is a 1991 so I should go with new ones huh.

Dirt Dogg Rydas
07-25-2009, 09:01 PM
IMO I dont think you need it but make sure that kit comes with TC drop kit Thats what I have, and I don't have the adj. trac bar either. I think that on the 4.5" they're optional but recommended. Of course if you could afford those things I'd say get them for a little extra piece of mind that you're doing it the right way

JG-Man
07-25-2009, 10:45 PM
I think somebody on here (XJTalk) made a really good chart showing what you need on an XJ depending on how high you go. I think you need a SYE kit with anything over 4" and extended brake lines and wheel well trimming and fender flare or backspacing adjustments. (But I'm really not the expert, but it was a good chart).

MrJCRod
08-27-2009, 11:26 PM
I just installed the Rough Country kit with full packs 2 days ago, it does come with the transfer case drop as well as the brake line relocation brackets. These seem to work fine for me right now but longer brake lines and a SYE would be nice in the future. I did drive it for a day without doing the transfer case drop and did notice a vibration on first acceleration like the driveshaft was binding but that went away right after I dropped it with the supplied hardware... Right out of the box nothing else is "absolutely needed". If your trying to save money just get the kit and get the other add-ons a little at a time... I'm sure there are better kits but I'm extremely happy with this one...

Jeep95XJ
08-27-2009, 11:30 PM
The AAL is a POS That was my first kit also. I got 1" out of that AAL. Used a 2nd AAL got another 1/2" The kit also comes with a 2" shackle and i had to use a 1" block to get my full 4.5" Before the lift my jeep did sit level. Go with the full pack, you wont regret it.