PDA

View Full Version : Too Late Does Come

Melissa
07-25-2009, 04:14 AM
I just found out today that my grandfather passed away on July 9th of 2009.
He was 81

I will never have the chance to say I love you, or even the chance to say goodbye.

This has hit me especially hard due to the fact that he is my grandfather on my fathers side, and I have not been in touch with that side of my family in more than 15 years.

I lay the blame on my father, I know I should not, but if you all knew the story behind it, you might understand.

My parents divorced when my sister and I were 4 and 3.
I loved my father with all I had, he was everything to me.
But over the years he stopped calling unless I called him, he stopped sending cards on birthdays until there was no word from him at all. My mother and sister came to hate him and would always talk bad about him, but I always stood up for him.

When I was 11 I went to stay with my grandma on my mothers side up in Seattle, Wa and the first thing I did was call my father and asking if he would come and get me so that I could see him. I'll remember to the day that I die what he said. He said I will clear my schedule and call you right back. So I waited and waited and waited, waited by the phone for 7 days, I would not even go outside in case the phone rang, but it never did, he never called.

I went home feeling unloved and was to stubborn to call and ask what happened, I was afraid he might say that he just didn't want to see me. Well stubborn (from both my father and me) has now turned into 15 years and all that has gotten me is a stranger that is my father, a man who has never even met his two grandchildren that are now 11 and 12.

Because of this I just lost my grandfather, and I was not aware of it until 15 days after the fact. I have been saying to myself that I should get in touch with my grandparents as they are not going to live forever, now it is too late to make things right between my grandfather and me, I have to live with that.

Sorry this is an unhappy thread, but my best friend who is also my grandmother on my mothers side, I can't take my grief to, she is fighting to stay alive herself and is slowly dying of cancer, and she does not need anything else to worry about.

I just needed to get it off my chest.

I will say I am so sorry, I love you and I will miss you grandpa, I just wish I could have said this years sooner.

RIP: Ross Cameron
1928-2009

YouTube - "Here Comes Goodbye" - Rascal Flatts Official Music Video

muddeprived
07-25-2009, 07:02 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss Melissa. I know what you are going through because my father is the same way. Ever since my parents divorced 8 years ago, he has slowly disappeared from the family. He never calls, visits, or even see his two neices anymore. I feel that some people live in shame and can't stand up to it so they hide away and just avoid the poblem altogether while some people part ways and want to start a new life and leave everything behind. That's kinda wrong and hurtful but it's what they chose to do.

Again I'm sorry about your grandfather.

Mudderoy
07-25-2009, 09:31 AM
I just found out today that my grandfather passed away on July 9th of 2009.
He was 81

I will never have the chance to say I love you, or even the chance to say goodbye.

This has hit me especially hard due to the fact that he is my grandfather on my fathers side, and I have not been in touch with that side of my family in more than 15 years.

I lay the blame on my father, I know I should not, but if you all knew the story behind it, you might understand.

My parents divorced when my sister and I were 4 and 3.
I loved my father with all I had, he was everything to me.
But over the years he stopped calling unless I called him, he stopped sending cards on birthdays until there was no word from him at all. My mother and sister came to hate him and would always talk bad about him, but I always stood up for him.

When I was 11 I went to stay with my grandma on my mothers side up in Seattle, Wa and the first thing I did was call my father and asking if he would come and get me so that I could see him. I'll remember to the day that I die what he said. He said I will clear my schedule and call you right back. So I waited and waited and waited, waited by the phone for 7 days, I would not even go outside in case the phone rang, but it never did, he never called.

I went home feeling unloved and was to stubborn to call and ask what happened, I was afraid he might say that he just didn't want to see me. Well stubborn (from both my father and me) has now turned into 15 years and all that has gotten me is a stranger that is my father, a man who has never even met his two grandchildren that are now 11 and 12.

Because of this I just lost my grandfather, and I was not aware of it until 23 days after the fact. I have been saying to myself that I should get in touch with my grandparents as they are not going to live forever, now it is too late to make things right between my grandfather and me, I have to live with that.

Sorry this is an unhappy thread, but my best friend who is also my grandmother on my mothers side, I can't take my grief to, she is fighting to stay alive herself and is slowly dying of cancer, and she does not need anything else to worry about.

I just needed to get it off my chest.

I will say I am so sorry, I love you and I will miss you grandpa, I just wish I could have said this years sooner.

RIP: Ross Cameron
1928-2009

YouTube - "Here Comes Goodbye" - Rascal Flatts Official Music Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uq3nI11w4g)

I'm pretty sure your father loves you very much, but he feels like he failed. He failed to stay married, he failed to be the father to his children like he wanted to be.

It is easier for him to put it out of his mind than to deal with the harsh feelings he has for himself. Now 15 years later he'd like to see you and your children but he still doesn't want to deal with those feelings, but more importantly he doesn't want to have to explain his inaction for all these years.

Men, real men, don't like dealing with their feelings, and it is much easier to suppress them. You VISITING him would force those feelings to the surface and if he really deals with them you'll find the real reason he didn't call you back.

Really it isn't about you at all, it's about him.

I could be wrong, but I'd be very surprised if I am.

BlueXJ
07-25-2009, 11:55 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. How long since you had seen your grandfather? Was he sick or was it an accident. What happened or do you know? How did you finally discover that he had died?

Melissa
07-26-2009, 12:09 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss. How long since you had seen your grandfather? Was he sick or was it an accident. What happened or do you know? How did you finally discover that he had died?

I had not seen him in almost 6 years, the last time I saw him was at my other grandfathers funeral, but we did not have time to talk, just a quick hug. I don't know what happened. I was sent a email late last night from my mothers brother, all it said was Ross Cameron died July 9th.

I did find his obituary online, but it did not tell me anything other than when the services were held.

xjjeepthing
07-26-2009, 07:52 AM
Sorry for the loss

BlueXJ
07-26-2009, 08:03 AM
Well I don't pretend to know how you must feel, but I would hunt your father down if just to give him a swift kick in the nuts. No one should treat their worst enemy the way he has treated you.

ol"blue
07-26-2009, 01:58 PM
I don't have the correct words to comfort you during this time of mixed feelings for you Missy, only that I'm sorry for your loss.
Drop everything and go see your Granny ASAP.
Dan
YouTube - Vince Gill - Go Rest High On That Mountain

BlueXJ
07-27-2009, 04:19 AM
That is a gool idea ol'blue.

Melissa
07-27-2009, 01:56 PM
I don't have the correct words to comfort you during this time of mixed feelings for you Missy, only that I'm sorry for your loss.
Drop everything and go see your Granny ASAP.
Dan
YouTube - Vince Gill - Go Rest High On That Mountain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_EPEOKDlfo)

That is a gool idea ol'blue.

Yes it is, I have written a letter that went out today, and I am making plans to do just that

BlueXJ
07-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Let us know how that meeting goes. Wear your boots in case your dad shows up so you can follow my advice and give him a good swift one.

Melissa
07-28-2009, 03:38 AM
Let us know how that meeting goes. Wear your boots in case your dad shows up so you can follow my advice and give him a good swift one.

I will, and I will wear my boots ;)

ol"blue
07-28-2009, 09:49 AM
I will, and I will wear my boots ;)

Just try and maintain your dignity Missy.