PDA

View Full Version : Jeep won't start!

Mudderoy
07-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Well I left the OBD II hooked up over night and surprise surprise the Jeep wouldn't start this morning. I put it on the charger and after 30 minutes I gave up and had the wife jump me, once we were done I got her to give me a jump start! :D

I didn't even think twice about why the battery was low, I knew why. That was until I was ready to come home this afternoon from work, some 20 miles away from home.

No worky! A co-worker gave me a jump start.

Everything seems fine once it is going, so I'm thinking it's the battery. I think I've had it for 6 years! :smiley-scared002:

ol"blue
07-23-2009, 07:59 PM
I think 6 years is about the useful life of most batteries isn't it? Sounds like someones going to be buying a battery. I've never had to jump a vehicle twice because of the bat. Stick a new one in and worry no more.
Of course you could take it in and have it tested.:headbag:

whowey
07-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Do you have a load tester???

I know you probably have more voltmeters than I do.. so test the voltage at the battery at rest then again with someone turning the key to the start position....

Usually a 4.0l won't turn over if you are under about 11 volts.

A carbon pile load tester is about 30 bucks from Harbor Frieght... when you hit the switch on it, it adds a load to the battery letting you test how the battery performs under load conditions.

Mudderoy
07-23-2009, 11:16 PM
Well I took it to Sam's Club and they close at 7 pm, and had stuff backed up until 8:30! I asked the guy if he could run a battery test, and he said sure, to my udder surprise!

Bad battery, so I bought a red top optima for $130 and installed it myself.

Red Top Baby!

Melissa
07-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Well I took it to Sam's Club and they close at 7 pm, and had stuff backed up until 8:30! I asked the guy if he could run a battery test, and he said sure, to my udder surprise!

Bad battery, so I bought a red top optima for $130 and installed it myself.

Red Top Baby!

I have a red top battery, does that put me in with the cool crowd :rotfl2:

Mudderoy
07-24-2009, 06:56 AM
I have a red top battery, does that put me in with the cool crowd :rotfl2:

You always have been and always will be, unless you have children, then no. :rotfl2: