PDA

View Full Version : Throttle body spacer install

OrangeXJ
04-27-2012, 08:52 AM
I got a Power Aid throttle body spacer. I had a full size Bronco that I installed one on and my mpg went from 8 to 12 and better throttle responce. So here is a little write up
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m470/GregKnowles/Picture192.jpg

First remove the air intake
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m470/GregKnowles/Picture193.jpg

Then remove the throttle body and the bracket that holds the throttle cable
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m470/GregKnowles/Picture194.jpg

Then install the spacer
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m470/GregKnowles/Picture195.jpg

Then inshttp://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m470/GregKnowles/Picture196.jpgtall the throttle cable bracket spacers

Put the air intake back on.
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m470/GregKnowles/Picture197.jpg

This took about 30 min. to do.

OrangeXJ
04-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Just went for a test ride much better throttle responce. Don't really care about an increese in mpg but if it helps I'm down with it.

XJ Wheeler
04-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Also, during install is a great time to clean the throttle body.

I installed one as well and got better low end power.

jeepxj95
04-28-2012, 11:45 AM
i want to put a spacer in and go to 62mm and see the improvements

JG-Man
04-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Would that work with a stock air cleaner.. hood clearance-wide?

bigjim350
04-30-2012, 02:41 AM
I just dont understand how a TB spacer helps a fuel injected vehicle. could somebody give me that info?

OrangeXJ
04-30-2012, 03:05 AM
It has to do with the way the air swirls in to the intake. I saw better fuel milage on my Bronco.

JG-Man
05-01-2012, 10:27 PM
That makes me wonder how come the manufacturers don't have long-neck intakes from the factory?

OrangeXJ
05-02-2012, 03:16 AM
Would that work with a stock air cleaner.. hood clearance-wide?

It should have clerance

denverd1
05-02-2012, 08:30 AM
That makes me wonder how come the manufacturers don't have long-neck intakes from the factory?

My take on this is that everything OEM is designed to be efficient and/or cheap. Back in the 70s and 80s they would overbuild and understate all performance aspects of a car to keep insurance costs down and to circumvent emissions regs, etc. Not sure what the hell they are doing these days, but I modify just about everything I own. today's motors wake up considerably when you open up the air flow a bit.

denverd1
05-02-2012, 09:59 AM
I believe it "quenches" the intake and cylinders better. OEM isn't about performance...

ScottJD96
05-24-2012, 05:05 PM
A throttle body spacer on caurborated motors causes the air to swirl which helps break up [atomize] large fuel droplets for a better burn in the cylinders increasing horsepower. On TBI motors it increases the plenum volume.To a point a larger plenum will increase top end HP. the plenums primary job is to increase plenum volume, the tornado effect hype is just that on non TBI motors. Air is air the more you get to mix with the fuel the better the burn.

XJ4IV
05-24-2012, 11:22 PM
so uhhhh better throttle response you say?
in alllll honesty Ive pondered YEARS over the throttle body spacer installand EVERYONE I talked to stated on a fuel injected vehicle you will NOT see a benefit and Ive never known anyone to PUT one on a EFI vehicle until today... sooooo if Greg says he feels more response then Im down!
Greg what was the cost of the spacer and is the cost worth the gain?

OrangeXJ
05-25-2012, 05:03 AM
so uhhhh better throttle response you say?
in alllll honesty Ive pondered YEARS over the throttle body spacer installand EVERYONE I talked to stated on a fuel injected vehicle you will NOT see a benefit and Ive never known anyone to PUT one on a EFI vehicle until today... sooooo if Greg says he feels more response then Im down!
Greg what was the cost of the spacer and is the cost worth the gain?

It cost around 89 bucks. I saw a mpg increase going to Galveston before I would use 3/4 of a tank now just a little over 1/2 tank

ScottJD96
05-25-2012, 09:19 AM
Air is air.The spacer creates a larger area around the throttle body creating a larger intake, do this with a bored out 62 = increased volume of air, more air better burn, add a cold air induction system,which allows for a better flow = more air. look at your air box that little hole in the front is all thats allowing air to get in. More air better burn like blowers, superchargers and turbos ,all air.

ScottJD96
05-25-2012, 09:26 AM
It cost around 89 bucks. I saw a mpg increase going to Galveston before I would use 3/4 of a tank now just a little over 1/2 tank

Sometimes you might be paying for a name with these, being they are practically made the same. They all work the same way and if you have the skills and the right tools you can make your own. The tornado effect or swirl does not effect injected motors or tbi because the fuel is allready atomized it just increases air flow volume.

Heralchemy
07-08-2012, 09:03 AM
i have an AirRaid version (have to double check the made its annodized red like that) and the inner diameter is smaller than the Throttle ID .. so i hesitated to put mine on. I thought there might be some obvious restriction to flow.
Other than that, i figgured these would like the atomization spray patter on a spray gun.. the more you pull away from the contact surface the more spray coverage .. but thats just my guess-timation

i busted my first post cherry :)

ScottJD96
07-09-2012, 02:52 PM
That only works with carburated motors not direct injection.:)

Dirtoyz
07-21-2012, 11:36 AM
I can see this working for a carb or TBI, but I can't see a benefit when the fuel is injected into the cylinder, it doesn't create more air volume like boring a TB, and doesn't change atomization of the fuel. I think it's hype.
That's just my 2 cents

clawdog60
09-14-2012, 08:16 PM
I have one that came with my 96' havn't installed it yet. I was concerned about the breather tube to hood clearance. This unit does increse air velocity so a little ram effect.

XJ Wheeler
09-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Mine does make the tube slightly rub the insulation on the hood, its minimal though.

dagr8tim
09-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Holy back from the dead.

I don't really understand how a TB spacer on an EFI car gains anything except plenum volume. That being said, I got my 2000+ 4.0 intake with TB from a wrecking yard for $40. This also gives more plenum volume and was cheaper.

Other thoughts are that if you had a spare TB gasket, you could probably get a machinist to whip up a spacer alot cheaper.

Personally, I'm going to have my spare TB bored and gasket match the intake & TB.

gary63
09-16-2012, 09:35 AM
the spacer give you more air behind the valves so at higher rpm it wont run short on air and you get a better burn. now if you can raise the air preser so more air will flod the cyl. when the valves open (like a blower) even better.
Think of it like a dam and the water behind it the valves are the dam the manifold is the resaver you want as much water behind the dam so when it opens you can make power non stop.So bigger intake manifold and bigger and cooler intake airtube and more preser more hp.

dagod16
08-10-2013, 05:00 PM
So would this work on my 2001 cherokee xj limited? Would I get better mpg?

also would I get better mpg if I got rid of my air box and had an open system?