PDA

View Full Version : *HELP*anybody know this part?

rm2406
04-19-2012, 02:59 PM
hello all, i was wondering if someone could tell me with the name of this part. im thinking track bar or tie rod tube?? its the one thats connects to the driver steering knuckle. thanks!! tried uploading pix couldnt get it done. it looks like it connects to the drag link then straight to drivers side steering knuckle.... 96 xj

KH96XJ
04-19-2012, 03:03 PM
is it this? Steering tie rod and drag link. http://www.genright.com/images/products/ce9701_md.jpg

rm2406
04-19-2012, 03:10 PM
yes. im actually needing the bar that is going horizontal to the steering knuckle.. is that the tie rod tube??

nickxj94
04-19-2012, 03:42 PM
yes. im actually needing the bar that is going horizontal to the steering knuckle.. is that the tie rod tube??

Yes its the tierod tube, the one off the pitman arm is the draglink

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2

rm2406
04-19-2012, 03:48 PM
thanks! mine is minorly bent in the center. can they be straightened or should i just buy a new one??

bigjim350
04-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Just buy a new one. They are already pretty weak. If you bend it back it will just be weaker. Be a good time to upgrade.

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

rm2406
04-19-2012, 04:21 PM
any tips on the procedure for replacing it?? also wheres the best place to buy one for not to much $?? thanks everyone..

oderdene
04-19-2012, 07:36 PM
yeah, we have a great write-up here, thanks bigjim350

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6242

4.3LXJ
04-19-2012, 11:06 PM
I have done it to a buddies Jeep. Easy if you have a tie rod puller.

XJ4IV
07-22-2012, 12:54 PM
EASY removal... 3/4 socket to remove the castle nuts then thread the nut back on till the top of the nut is level with the top of the tierod end (what the nut threads on to) then smack it with a hammer a few times should pop right out without damaging the products, the best thing to do though if you have the ability is to remove the old tierod you can EASILY upgrade to a grand cherokee that has a V8 motor as it is a little stronger than the regular cherokee one... NEXT step is go to local Home depot or Lowes or most ANY hardware store and buy another metal tube that your tierod tube will SNUGGLY fit into then have someone tack weld the two pices to make a sleeve for it, this more than doubles the strength and usually only about 15 dollars for the additional tube from hardware store!
ONCE youve replaced the tierod you have to get an alignment done SOME folks are pretty savvy to do it themselves and its fairly simple just a little tedious and time consuming, if your interested Ill send you a PM on the procedure now this is ONLY a toe in alignment not a camber castor adjustment

XJ4IV
07-22-2012, 01:01 PM
WOW I just looked at bigjims thread on the V8 ZJ upgrade, I didnt know that it had a bend in it so the sleeve idea will ONLY work on the OEM cherokee one that is straight however the solid V8 upgrade MIGHT be a easier solution but IF your on a really tight budget then straighten out your original one THEN sleeve it and pop it back on but again your gonna have to do an alignment

XJ Rat
07-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Go to a junkyard and get the Grand Cherokee V8 tie rod. Install in your driveway. Set the toe in using a tape measure and a piece of chalk.

I had luck hitting the side of the tie rod mount with a hammer, not the top of the tie rod. After a few firm hits with a ball peen hammer, the tie rod popped right out.