PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Misc. Parts for '99 XJ

ksat
04-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Hey guys... just thought I'd stop by and see if anyone has a few parts for cheap?? Here's a very non-technical list of things I'm looking for:

OEM or Replacement Front Swaybar/Stabilizer Linkages - No Lift
Driver's seat rails/frame
Fog Light Switch
Driver's Side door check - Mine is popping really loud

I'm not much of a car guy, but, I'm trying....if you can help clarify or provide any of these parts, would appreciate it!

dagr8tim
04-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Hey guys... just thought I'd stop by and see if anyone has a few parts for cheap?? Here's a very non-technical list of things I'm looking for:

OEM or Replacement Front Swaybar/Stabilizer Linkages - No Lift
Driver's seat rails/frame
Fog Light Switch
Driver's Side door check - Mine is popping really loud

I'm not much of a car guy, but, I'm trying....if you can help clarify or provide any of these parts, would appreciate it!

I've got the check bar, and probably can scare up a seat rail assembly. On my 97, the bracket on the body had the hole wallered out, and that's what was making it pop. I replaced the bracket and it worked great. I've got some old seat belt material and a grommet punch. I'm considering making nylon door straps like wranglers have.

The fog light switch may be hard to find. As for the sway bar end links, they usually break after afew years in the rust belt. I'd just get a replacement set of OEM's for like $20 to $30.

Where in Ohio are you?

ksat
04-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the info and assistance. I'm in the Cincinnati area...

dagr8tim
04-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the info and assistance. I'm in the Cincinnati area...

I'm in SW Columbus.

Do you have the famous broken driver's seat? Mine's cracked where the seat bolts to the rails/frame. So replacing the rails/frame won't help.

I also know there is a really nice Pick N Pull in either Dayton or Cinci that usually has a ton of Cherokee's. Check out this facebook group. They would know more about JY's down your way.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/293103569311/

ksat
04-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Famous, eh? Great! That's exactly the problem I'm having...I figured replacement will help me for a little! :)

I'll have to check out the Pick n Pull's - good thought!

Let me know about the door check.... and, any recommendation on linkages? They all look the same. Don't wanna go cheap, but, I don't need titanium ($$) strength either! :)

dagr8tim
04-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Famous, eh? Great! That's exactly the problem I'm having...I figured replacement will help me for a little! :)

I'll have to check out the Pick n Pull's - good thought!

Let me know about the door check.... and, any recommendation on linkages? They all look the same. Don't wanna go cheap, but, I don't need titanium ($$) strength either! :)

Any parts house (Advance, Autozone or an of them). $17.51 for a set from Rock Auto. If you google around, you can usually find 5% online coupon codes.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1005587

My driver's seat is cracked on the bottom of the seat where it bolts to the frame. Some guys weld them. For me, I found a set of power leather seats with the back seat for $150, and just upgraded.

You can check Craigslist for people parting Jeeps. A seat from a 93-98 Grand Cherokee will bolt to your seat base.

4.3LXJ
04-18-2012, 02:17 PM
I bought some power seats too, but waiting to install them when I color the leather. If I get them installed before you get a new seat frame, you can have mine.

dagr8tim
04-18-2012, 02:20 PM
I bought some power seats too, but waiting to install them when I color the leather. If I get them installed before you get a new seat frame, you can have mine.

The OP's welcome to mine, if it will do him any good. I hope to install my driver's seat on Sunday.

If his is busted in the same place as mine, it won't do him any good.

bluedragon436
04-18-2012, 05:00 PM
So you already have the bezel and wiring for the fog light switch, you just need the switch itself?? I was going to go and hit up my local p-n-p's for some parts so figure I could check that avenue out as well... since I am going to grab a few spare switches for my fog lights as I know these burn out frequently!!

Sneedle Vision
04-18-2012, 05:09 PM
My driver's seat is cracked on the bottom of the seat where it bolts to the frame. Some guys weld them. For me, I found a set of power leather seats with the back seat for $150, and just upgraded.

You can check Craigslist for people parting Jeeps. A seat from a 93-98 Grand Cherokee will bolt to your seat base.

The seats from a 99-04 Grand Cherokee will also fit on 97+ XJs seat slider frames.

Joliet Johnny
04-18-2012, 06:07 PM
I have no foglights on my 99 but I have noticed a lack of relays in general, thinkin add a relay prolong the life of a switch?

dagr8tim
04-18-2012, 06:11 PM
If you didn't have fog lights from the factory, you are missing several pieces. You don't have the relays, and the wire from the switch plug (purple or blue) doesn't go anywhere. If you connect a switch, you need to run your own wire to the relays from the blue or purple wire.

There are no connectors in the PDC for the fog light relays if you did not have them from the factory. I discovered that when I tried to retro fit my 97 SE with the fogs from my 98 Sport.

Your other option is to spend about $200 for the OEM foglight kit.

Joliet Johnny
04-18-2012, 06:24 PM
I was saying in general, the XJ is lacking relays. Im used to GM cars that seem to have relays for the relays. Ex girlfriends Intrepid caught fire when her foglight/headlight switch overheated, no relay.

Mudderoy
04-19-2012, 09:18 AM
I have no foglights on my 99 but I have noticed a lack of relays in general, thinkin add a relay prolong the life of a switch?

I've had two NEW factory switches. Both installed by Chrysler or a dealership. That is exactly the problem. They run too much current through the switch and it burns up. Adding a relay should make it last forever, in my opinion. I will be hooking up my old OEM fog lights on my daughter's XJ soon, and that is how I'll be doing it. All the current will go though the relay.

dagr8tim
04-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Here's what was broken on my driver seat. Not the frame/rails, but the seat.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/545813_10151536831065131_886005130_23794551_205748 5591_n.jpg

Mudderoy
04-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Here's what was broken on my driver seat. Not the frame/rails, but the seat.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/545813_10151536831065131_886005130_23794551_205748 5591_n.jpg

I had a similar situation after my spin and collision into a large wall at 40 mph. The people that did the body repair couldn't "fix" the seat. I looked at it, bought a large washer and fixed it. That was ummmm 6 years ago now. I've been wheeling in it several times, no issues.

dagr8tim
04-20-2012, 01:37 PM
I had a similar situation after my spin and collision into a large wall at 40 mph. The people that did the body repair couldn't "fix" the seat. I looked at it, bought a large washer and fixed it. That was ummmm 6 years ago now. I've been wheeling in it several times, no issues.

I thought about tearing the seat down and running some flat stock above and below the broken area the whole length of the seat on both sides. Then adding an extra bolt in the middle of the seat to distribute the load.

I may still do that, but with the smoking deal I got on the leather seats. All that work didn't seem worth it. If I do fix that seat, I'll probably tear the padding and cover off and try my hand at a DIY suspension seat using paracord.