PDA

View Full Version : Wiring issues... PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!!!!

AJ99
07-21-2009, 11:55 PM
I know i have been asking a lot of questions and im sorry, I am just about to have my jeep running again and am anxious so i am working on it as much as possible...

As some of you might know I am doing an automatic transmission swap from a manual and have pulled out all of the old wiring harnesses. I swaped them in from an automatic both the behind the dash and the wiring harness on the back side of the engine compartment. I didnt swap the one that connects to the fuse box and goes behind the grill and connects to the other harness by the battery.

Ok now that you know what i have swapped.

I have a relay that is clicking when ever i turn the key to start the jeep. It wont click if i have just the acc on but as soon as i try to start the jeep it will click untill i take it out or turn the jeep off completly. I can hear my fuel pump clicking on and off with it too. I have all my lights, radio, cig lighter, clock all of that works. the only thing that doesnt work is my gauge light. The wire on my solenoid also is not getting power. If i take it off of the silver relay and touch the battery is will turn over.

I am guessing there are a few things i am missing but not sure. I have been debating about just re wiring the starter solenoid onto a push button and wiring the fuel pump to an acc wire also. The only thing is i am not sure if there is something that will not work if those dont work.

Melissa
07-22-2009, 12:20 AM
Okay I know I can't help, BUT you can never ask too many questions!!

Thats how I learn, by reading all the questions and answers

If their was a question limit, I'd have been banned long ago :rotfl2:

BlueXJ
07-22-2009, 07:39 AM
Hard to say but there is a fuel pump relay on the inner passenger side fender. It should only click in one time. More clicking means the curcuit is opening and closing. That is not normal. There are always bugs in any type swap.

finneys98xj
07-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Swap the relay that is clicking for one you know is a good relay and see if that changes anything then go back and make sure you have everything hooked up right for your fuel pump.

BlueXJ
07-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Swap the relay that is clicking for one you know is a good relay and see if that changes anything then go back and make sure you have everything hooked up right for your fuel pump.

Good idea alien. I would try that.

AJ99
07-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Well i have swapped in like 5 good relays and they all do the same thing. I never disconnected the fuel pump but i will go through and look it over right now.

Mudderoy
07-22-2009, 08:18 PM
I think you have created a new electrical path, one that wasn't intended and that is why the relay is clicking.

whowey
07-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Have you jumpered or verified that the fuel pump ballast resistor is good??

Your fuel pump relay(in the relay center) should click one time. If it clicking more one of two things is happening. A. it is failing and not staying latched. B. There is a short somewhere and the voltage is dropping to a point that causes the relay to unlatch then re-latch.

AJ99
07-22-2009, 09:10 PM
where is the fuel pump ballast resistor? I have seen them on most Xj to be on the driver side fender. Mine has never had one there. Also i have swapped the relay with other ones and it does the same thing. So how would i go about finding where there is a short?

finneys98xj
07-22-2009, 10:52 PM
where is the fuel pump ballast resistor? I have seen them on most Xj to be on the driver side fender. Mine has never had one there. Also i have swapped the relay with other ones and it does the same thing. So how would i go about finding where there is a short?

A multi meter and lots of time. Start tracing you will find it.

AJ99
07-22-2009, 11:04 PM
That is the thing i am not too keen on electrical. I was iffy on doing the swap in the first place. I have no clue where to look at and i have been trying but i dont understand wiring diagrams either. so im stuck. I talked to a local shop in town today and they said it can be anywhere from 500 to 3K to have them do it.

AJ99
07-23-2009, 12:58 AM
Well i just got my jeep fired up for the first time in three months!!!!:smiley-scared002::smiley-scared002: :jumping0041: It was a little loud starting it at 11, im sure i woke up my neighbors but oh well im so frekin happy right now lol.... Hopefully ill be on the road again in a few weeks

Dirt Dogg Rydas
07-23-2009, 01:05 AM
What turned out to be the problem

AJ99
07-23-2009, 01:11 AM
the wiring from the donor jeeps didnt match up with mine i guess. I ended up talking to a guy on another forum and he came down to help me a couple weekends ago and we couldnt figure it out and he told me just get it running again and that he would come back down and help me wire in the trans computer separately.

So i finally got fed up with the donor harnesses and went back to my factory one and it fired up with no problems. I am guessing somewhere in the connections there is a wire in a different spot than on mine