PDA

View Full Version : Jeep TJ makes a rattling(?) noise...

Mudderoy
04-10-2012, 10:54 AM
The 2003 Jeep Wrangler "TJ" that we got for my wife a few months ago has a kind of light rattling noise coming from the standard transmission "area" when I have the transmission in neutral.

The previous owner said they recently had the clutch replaced. I've noticed that if I run the RPM up too high and take off I get a bit of a buffeting like the clutch disc isn't engaging, or is catching on high spots. It quickly goes away but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Looking online I see that this configuration is much like the mechanical clutches I've worked on in the past, so I'm thinking it could be a throwout bearing, or the pilot bearing making the noise.

I'll get a video up soon along with the sound that I'm hearing.

Since this is my wife's primary transportation I wanted to find out if anyone has a clue what the problem is and if it is something I need to take care of right away, or wait until it's time to replace the clutch disc.

4.3LXJ
04-10-2012, 06:33 PM
How many rpms?

Mudderoy
04-13-2012, 10:40 AM
How many rpms?

Idle, so 700 rpms(?)

4.3LXJ
04-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Tony, I would be looking at exhaust parts hitting, and worn out rubber mounts for it.

Mudderoy
04-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Tony, I would be looking at exhaust parts hitting, and worn out rubber mounts for it.

Hmmm maybe I didn't mention it. It goes away when I push in the clutch pedal.

4.3LXJ
04-13-2012, 12:12 PM
OK, sorry, brain fart. Backup, delete post, reboot.

Those kinds of rattles can be caused in several ways by the throwout bearing or fork. Sometimes the pressure plate can be a little out of adjustment, bearing a little worn and some minor issues like that. However it is not a serious thing unless it starts getting worse.

Mudderoy
04-13-2012, 12:23 PM
OK, sorry, brain fart. Backup, delete post, reboot.

Those kinds of rattles can be caused in several ways by the throwout bearing or fork. Sometimes the pressure plate can be a little out of adjustment, bearing a little worn and some minor issues like that. However it is not a serious thing unless it starts getting worse.

Thanks, I'll keep an ear on it.

XJ Wheeler
04-13-2012, 01:06 PM
Thanks, I'll keep an ear on it.

Don't be doing that while driving.:cop:

vwfoolwhy
04-13-2012, 09:46 PM
That Sound Means It's Working.:thumbsup:

I've seen them go 30K+ with that throughout B-ring noise. It wasn't greased right or may have heated a little to much at one time or another. Hydraulic Throughout B-rings are not fans of the riding of the clutch.