PDA

View Full Version : Front Bumper Support?

Voldemort
07-20-2009, 11:19 AM
I have to straighten this part of the Unibody out(XJ was in a minor front accident) but after it is straight I was wondering what some guys have done to make this area stronger(added bracing, steel plating, etc..)Pics will help the most:thumbsup:
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/bigbadxj/Jeeps/jeeper.jpg

BlueXJ
07-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Weld two 1x3 angles one on top and trim the other so it fits on the bottom. Weld into the side supports if making a winch or recovery bumper. Strong enough to hoist the jeep up into a tree if on a winch bumper. Seen it done twice on a buddy's trail Jeep.

Voldemort
07-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Weld two 1x3 angles one on top and trim the other so it fits on the bottom. Weld into the side supports if making a winch or recovery bumper. Strong enough to hoist the jeep up into a tree if on a winch bumper. Seen it done twice on a buddy's trail Jeep.

That was what I was thinking of. But I would like to try and find one solid piece so there is no seam in the middle, probable 1/4".

Voldemort
07-20-2009, 06:18 PM

That was what I was thinking of with like 1/4". I wish I could see a pic of one being pulled up a tree!

BlueXJ
07-20-2009, 07:06 PM
That was what I was thinking of with like 1/4". I wish I could see a pic of one being pulled up a tree!
We should have taken some pics of that Jeep. It was lost on a rollover in Arizona last summer which mangled it so badly that nothing of value was recoverable. Flipped end over end down an embankment for 800 feet, fortunately my buddy jumped free before the second flip.

Voldemort
07-21-2009, 12:16 AM
Flipped end over end down an embankment for 800 feet, fortunately my buddy jumped free before the second flip.

Holy Cow! Yea I would say he was damn lucky.:smiley-gen165:

COSXJFAN
07-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Check out what KTM from CF did on his damaged front xmember:

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/showthread.php?t=20236&page=2

Decent idea for a damaged piece, IMHO!!

Voldemort
07-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Check out what KTM from CF did on his damaged front xmember:

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/showthread.php?t=20236&page=2

Decent idea for a damaged piece, IMHO!!

Yea I saw that

COSXJFAN
07-22-2009, 01:26 PM
I thought you might have, but I wanted to post it in case you hadn't. A lot of us are on the same sites, so it's kinda hard to find stuff that someone hasn't seen yet!! LOL!! It's the thought that counts...right??LOL!!

Voldemort
07-22-2009, 01:43 PM
I thought you might have, but I wanted to post it in case you hadn't. A lot of us are on the same sites, so it's kinda hard to find stuff that someone hasn't seen yet!! LOL!! It's the thought that counts...right??LOL!!

Yes it is and he posted it on my thread on CF that is how I saw it.