PDA

View Full Version : What jack do you stand beside? Why?

prcjeep
03-28-2012, 02:28 AM
Well my low profile roof rack from JCR offroad has jack mount tabs built onto it.
Ive searched around for the last month or two looking at jacks and they range from $40-$100+. I know there are many dangers associated with using these types of "hi-lift" jacks but, putting that aside, which do you recommend based on durabilty, performance, quality etc... Which one starts out the best? Which one has the most add on? which one is the most serviceable? Which one has the most aquireable replacement parts??

Share your opinions below but save your horror stories about em for another thread. Gracias. :)

Carves
03-28-2012, 06:16 AM
When it comes to farm jacks .... always stand beside em .... as they are bit dodgy to trust enough ... to lay under the vehicle ... :D

Always remember its a wobblyboot lifting tool ... and you should never have a safety issue with one.

Wouldnt be without mine tho ... and I dread the day I have to replace this twenty something year old NATO approved, canadian Jack-All ... coz I just know all the new junk wont be as good/long lived ... especially the lower priced units.

Accessory list should probably include a baseplate and wheel lift straps ... altho XJ rims and stockish width tyres, let you stick the tongue into the rim slots ...

... and a bottle jack.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Vehicle%20Bits/Tyres%20and%20Wheels/RF10Hankook04b.jpg

Mudderoy
03-28-2012, 09:25 AM
I've only used my 48" hilift once but boy howdy it works good. Mark (DETOURS) told me NOT to mount it outside because they are marginally safe when kept OUT of the weather. With that said if I were you I would invest in a hilift AND one of those cases that fit around it.

Oh and the nice thing about the 48" hilift is it will fit in the cargo area just fine. I haven't done it yet, but I plan on mounting mine to my Safari rack I have in the cargo area.

prerunner1982
03-28-2012, 09:32 AM
What jack do you stand beside?

Daniels?

:drinking:

I have thought about getting a military scissor jack. Mostly due to the lower profile, decent length of travel, and larger contact pads. Yes the hi-lift/farm jack has a lot more travel but it is also a longer object. Not having a roof rack to put one, and really not wanting a roof rack, a large scissor jack to stow in the back would work better.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/MILITARY-JACK-HMMWV-HUMVEE-ARMY-SURPLUS-TRUCK-TRAILER-JEEP-HEAVY-DUTY-NO-HANDLE-/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/$(KGrHqN,!jEE6fh-hCNNBOsyfoszGQ~~60_57.JPG

Mudderoy
03-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Daniels?

:drinking:

I have thought about getting a military scissor jack. Mostly due to the lower profile, decent length of travel, and larger contact pads. Yes the hi-lift/farm jack has a lot more travel but it is also a longer object. Not having a roof rack to put one, and really not wanting a roof rack, a large scissor jack to stow in the back would work better.

How long have you been saving that one? :smiley-laughing021:

xj4life2
03-28-2012, 11:02 AM
High lifts can be extreamly dangerous but extreamly handy to have at the same time. I had mine mounted externally for a while and as long as you lube it prior to use you'll be fine. However I also carry a aluminum floor jack with me, High lift is only used when the floor jack just won't. Factory sissor jack is also available as an alternative option. Please all of you be careful and really get to know your high lift and its operation before you use it. I have seen everything from bad bruises to a broken jaw and cracked skull from those things !!!

KH96XJ
03-28-2012, 01:11 PM
I've got one of the non-named brand tractor jack that I picked up many years ago and have used it a couple times. Just haven't had to use it on the jeep yet.

XJ Rat
03-29-2012, 01:01 PM
I've had my 48" Hi-Lift since 1999. Have used it in my TJ countless times off road and on road. Even had to use it once in conjunction with my winch to get over some big rocks on a hillside. This is a tool that belongs with the avid off-roader. But if used incorrectly it will get you. Read the directions and know how to use it before you go off roading. Learn to use it in your driveway is not a bad idea. Word of caution, before flipping the switch to change directions, insure the handle is locked in the upright position. If not said handle will come flying up and severly mangle anything that is between the handle and the jack (like you).

Keep it inside, the mechanism does not like dirt + thieves have to work harder to steal it. But insure it is mounted solidly. It weighs a lot and will kill you in a roll over. Bungee cords will not secure a jack.

bluedragon436
04-03-2012, 10:50 AM
I have been looking at the Farm All version of the Hi-lift at Tractor Supply, as I have seen this things used many times on much larger vehicles than the XJ and worked flawlessly... They all have kept theirs out in the elements, and just lube them up prior to use, as well as every so often. One of them said when they had to rebuild theirs, they were able to just pick up the kit for a Hi-lift, and was able to use it on their Farm All jack.. So considering I can pick it up for a decent amount less than the Hi-lift brand, that is the one I'll be going with.. As far as when I'm at home, I just put my floor jack under the axle to pick it up and then jack stand the axle if I am going to be swapping tires or something.. I haven't found a jackstand set yet that will reach the "frame" to support the rest of the XJ if needed... then again I haven't really found a reason to need that yet either..

4.3LXJ
04-03-2012, 11:30 AM
James, you need to get the stands that are designed for trucks. I have four that will support the frame with my lift. I set the stands under, jack the wheels enough to remove tires and let them down.

bluedragon436
04-03-2012, 11:34 AM
James, you need to get the stands that are designed for trucks. I have four that will support the frame with my lift. I set the stands under, jack the wheels enough to remove tires and let them down.

Kind of figured that was what I was needing.. Now I got a full set of standard stands that I have had for many years, that are useless, well I can still use them on my axles, and other folks vehicles, so not useless I guess.. LOL.. So is the fun of building and upgrading the Jeep.. LOL.. just gives me a reason to purchase new tools..

4.3LXJ
04-03-2012, 11:35 AM
I see needing those taller stands in your future :D

xj4life2
04-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Or you can do what I did and thats take a couple of old 15" rims and weld the normal size stand to them. this way its higher and a wider base. not mention you can do it for free !!!!

cantab27
04-06-2012, 02:19 PM
hi lift for me.......good tool and can be used as a great recovery tool...just need big arms....as the rest have said ...respect the jack....

XJ Rat
04-07-2012, 02:35 PM
For what it is worth...I have seen two farm jacks bend under severe use (off road trying to get Jeeps unstuck). The only hi-lift I have seen bend was on the back of a TJ that rolled 6 times.

Spend the extra and buy quality the first time.

XJ4IV
04-07-2012, 09:11 PM
I got a larin...or laren brand... its a "hi-lift" knock off brand... only difference I notice is that the handle does not detach which is easily fixed and most folks like that idea to use as a trail breaker bar however I also carry a 3 foot pipe JUST for that same reason! I have noticed that yes if the jack gets rusty its a real pain but I found spray it with ATF it frees up just fine mines been through hell and back and I stand RIGHT by it... retail Id buy this over a hi lift cause it retails at about 40-50 bucks where as the hilift was 78 bucks! mine gets mounted in the back of my jeep over the wheel wells but that requires some crafty fabbing!
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo167/seivey/Mobile%20Uploads/kdk_0184.jpg

Showtime3492
04-07-2012, 09:22 PM
got mine from tractor supply. forget the name of it but its not bad other than almost droppin a jeep. releases unexpectedly sometimes. but its a beast other than that.