PDA

View Full Version : CB Lingo

Mudderoy
03-14-2012, 03:01 PM
I haven't been on the CB in years, perhaps decades, however back when I was on CB it just happened to be the hey day of the great CB acceptance by the public. It was really the first social media.

Anyway it was funny hearing and learning what things meant on the CB airwaves.

For example a guy, usually a trucker, would refer to a girl as a beaver. Even to a 14 year old (at the time) I knew what this meant, but it still struck me funny.

"Why would any man be interested in a girl with buck teeth and a flat tail?!?!?!"

:spongebob:

bluedragon436
03-14-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm still stuck with the CB as I can't afford a ham setup... Well not yet anyways.. But CB lingo is always fun to hear.. Unfortunately don't get to hear it too much anymore..

Carves
03-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Got your ears on Mudderoy ??? .. :D

Thankfully, ... back in the 70's ... there were plenty of american movies and TV shows to watch down here ...

... so we could learn how to speak proper CB talk ;)

Turn the damn thing on and it was like radio station constantly playing a CW McCall song ... :rotfl2:

aahhhh ... fun times ... especially the fox hunts .. ;)

XJ Wheeler
03-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Listen to it often, since we basically run with the big trucks. Just gotta watch it in Houston, lot of less than favorable talks going on there (like deeply disturbing stuff).

Some of the terms they come up with is quite humorous.

"Gator"-shredded tire in the road
"Chicken coop"-weigh station
"Zipper"-rumble strip on the side of the road
"Bear" or "Full Grown"-state trooper
"Four Wheeler"-smaller vehicle like a jeep/car/van/pickup
"Six Wheeler"-dually truck
"Plain White Wrapper"-unmarked police car
"Gum Ball Machine"-cops light bar when off
"Disco Lights"-cops light bar when on
"Customer"-cops victim
"Coloring Book"-DOT log book

prerunner1982
03-14-2012, 06:31 PM
I have a book from the 70s that I got in some stuff when my Grandmother passed away that had a list of CB lingo and the meanings. Pretty amusing.

Mudderoy
03-14-2012, 06:38 PM
I remember when the "truckers" channel was channel 10. Then a few truckers starting running on channel 19, the rest is history.

zjrog
03-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Ah, 23 channels and not a one to get a word in edgewise. Too many "Bucket Mouths" on base stations pushing 1000w foot warmers... Bleedin over into other channels when too close. FCC and vans seeking them out. Needing a license for CB... Still remember my license number. Dual 8' whips on my Pinto... And a 100w amp in the back. Nope, no barefoot ruinning for me.

Mudderoy
03-15-2012, 08:45 AM
Ah, 23 channels and not a one to get a word in edgewise. Too many "Bucket Mouths" on base stations pushing 1000w foot warmers... Bleedin over into other channels when too close. FCC and vans seeking them out. Needing a license for CB... Still remember my license number. Dual 8' whips on my Pinto... And a 100w amp in the back. Nope, no barefoot ruinning for me.

Ahhh yes, sadly I recognize all that lingo. :D

cpttuna
04-30-2012, 09:17 PM
KYP3065- the one and only CPT TUNA. 10-4 good buddy

XJ4IV
04-30-2012, 10:35 PM
understood that
1234567890 1234
hence forth 10-4 means understood that!

Brasscatz
04-30-2012, 11:20 PM
I grew up with CBs in the family. Grandpa was White Horse for his big white Ford van (that's why my old truck was the White Stallion), Dad was Rock Hound for his love of geology, Mom was Butterfly, well, she liked them, I was Hot Rod... can't remember what my sister was. Those were such fun days.

Then I was introduced to Smokey and The Bandit. To this day it is my wife's and my favorite movie! All them County Mounties, smokies, beavers, rollin' refineries... Pedal to the metal and feet to the floor. And a 10-100 is better than a 10-200!!!! East bound and down, over and out!

Paddletrucker
03-29-2013, 03:49 PM
Most of the truckers (including myself) that I run with don't use CB lingo all that much. Lots of us MUCH prefer 2 meter ham radios and like the more civilized atmosphere. We do sometimes use the CB lingo, though, making fun of the 'Chicken Haulers', the guys with 9,4354 lights on their truck and trailer. Usually that's a reefer (refrigerated trailer). I usually pull a skateboard (flat bed), but lately have been pulling a poverty box (dry van box trailer, called that because lots of the lowest paying freight is hauled in them) hauling US mail. You can also pull a parking lot (Auto hauler) or a thermos bottle (tanker) If you pull a tank trailer, then you're a tanker yanker. I used to pull wiggle wagons (doubles and triples). Sometimes, when we're overloaded, we want to route around the chicken houses, or coops (weigh scales). We're supposed to keep our comic books (record of hours of service, or logbooks) up to date, but guys get lazy and don't do it sometimes. You don't want to get caught, or you'll get grounded, or placed out of service for ten hours.

You can drive different kinds of large cars (big trucks), ranging from Petercars (Peterbilts), K-Whoppers (Kenworths), Freightshakers (Freightliners, known for their rough ride and rattles in the cab), or even the dreaded Volvo (This is a family forum. I won't use the lingo for those electrical nightmares).

You can Drive for many companies, too. Mayflower (May All Your Furniture LEave our Warehouse Entirely Ruined), Swift (See What I'll ****up today), J.B. Hunt (Just Been Hired, Unfortunately Not Trained), C.R. England (Crash and Roll. Every New Graduate Leaves a Nasty Dent), Roadway (Really Old Assed Driver Working Another Year), Prime, Inc. (Please Remember I'm Missouri Educated, I Need Cash), Pumpkin, or BIg Orange (Schneider), CRST (Can't Remember shit Today, or Completely Rebuilt Schneider Truck), or UPS (Buster Brown).

When you get ready to leave on a trip, you "Grab a batch of gone" or "get your tin in the wind" and try to keep it between the ditches and stay off the snooze bars (Rumble strips) and out of the comedian strip (median) and off the zipper (Center line). Don't run over gators (Aborted tire treads), or the Schneider Eggs (Construction Barrels), and keep the lot lizards (Truck stop ladies of the night) off the side of your ride. Oh, that's another thing. Rhyming like an inner city rapper is always preferred.

If you're mashing the floorboards out, letting it all hang out, the diesel juice is getting loose, or only hittin' the high places (all mean speeding), kinda like when you're "comin' back from the dirty side" (heading home), you can get a driving award (ticket) from the full grown bears (Highway patrol). You can use your "Jakes" (Engine compression brakes) to slow down, though.

A REAL trucker's two favorite colors are clear and chrome. HE doesn't put any air in his seat and sits low, directly on the floor. This is called "lookin' cool on your stool" You can see those guys hats in the window and that's about it. They're usually Chicken Haulers. You end every CB transmission with one of a few phrases..."Come On, I heard you, I did, or Yeeeeaaah, ten (The yeah has to be super slow and the ten needs to be said fast) If you're not in a hurry, you're just Riding and Guiding. If you're in a hurry, it's likely because your travel agent (Dispatcher) hosed you and lied....again.

I could go on and on, but it wouldn't be PG-13, so I won't. I'm a 4th genration truck driver and owner/operator. I grew up in a truck, so did my Dad, and so did my Grandfather. My grandfather taught me to drive. The first truck I drove was his cabover Pete with a twin stick 5 and 4 transmission. I drove it for the first time from just outside of Dallas to just north of Houston late at night. I was 14.:rolleyes::D My Mom and dad would've KILLED him if they knew. Later, he actually trained me and rode with me for my first few trips. Then he retired. When I turned 30 and bought my own tractor trailer, it was the thrill of my life to take him on a short trip with me and let him drive my newer, more modern tractor with an electronic engine and an 18 speed transmission that only had one gearshift. He didn't have a commercial driver's license by then. It'd expired years before. I drove a semi for the first time, illegally, in my Grandpa's truck. My Grandpa drove a semi for the last time, illegally, in my tractor.:D:D

My Great Grandfather started hauling freight BEFORE THERE WERE trucks in a wagon and a 6 up mule team. He was born in 1893 and died when I was 18 in 1993. VERY cool to let him tell you about all the changes he saw through his life, not only in the trucking industry, but the world as a whole. So yeah, I've heard about ALL that lingo before, but this is about all I had time to type or can remember right off hand.

4.3LXJ
03-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Thanks Nate. A language all its own

Carves
03-29-2013, 06:31 PM
I drove a semi for the first time, illegally, in my Grandpa's truck. My Grandpa drove a semi for the last time, illegally, in my tractor.:D:D

:cool::cool:

My Great Grandfather started hauling freight BEFORE THERE WERE trucks in a wagon and a 6 up mule team.

again ... :cool::cool:.

My Greats were bullockies, in timber country ... apparrently, they used language that would make a truckie blush .. :D

Brasscatz
03-29-2013, 06:31 PM
AWESOME post Nate! Thanks!

oderdene
03-30-2013, 12:18 AM
Thanks Nate, When you did your first drive, probably grandfather told to his father and I guess he was proud of you.

Paddletrucker
03-30-2013, 12:37 AM
Ok. Here's a few more for you while I'm laying in my sleeper WIDE AWAKE waiting on a load.

Rooster Cruiser is a fancy truck with lots of chrome and lights. Rooster cruisers are driven by chicken haulers.

Oh, those rows and rows of numerous LED lights are, of course, chicken lights. And naturally, those chrome wings you see mounted on the tops of sleepers are (what else?) chicken wings.

Here's an example of a rooster cruiser, driven by a chicken hauler, that's parked next to me, also waiting on his load. He claims its a triple digit ride, or capable of speeds in excess of 100mph

Another name for logbooks? Swindle Sheets.

Back in the day, popping pills to stay awake was the norm. In fact, methamphetamine was legal at one time. My grandpa still talks about the days when you'd get a load and the paper work would have stapled to it a small envelope full of pills. What were those pills called? High speed chicken feed.

Of course, there were twenty dollar toothpicks which were toothpicks soaked in some sort of meth crap. Keep you awake for days. I never have tried any kind of drug. It wouldn't fly today, and I'm a private pilot, too and that's frowned upon. :-). My grandpa tried the pills once and said that was enough for him. Never again. It was legal then but he said it made him very sick as they wore off. He called them pocket rockets or "your second driver" and said he felt like his hair was on fire. He said you could hear a cricket walk through the woods a hundred yards away on that crap.

Names for states and cities:

The guitar = Tennessee.
The bluegrass = Kentucky
Slowhio is what everyone called Ohio because of their 55mph speed limit, or running double nickels

It's said that Texas is the only state where you can head for the left coast (California) and get halfway there, and still be in Texas! BUT if you run into an Alaskan driver, he'll tell you they ought to split Alaska in half so that Texas would be the third largest state.

Boston is bean town, Springdale, AR is known as Chickendale due to all it's poultry plants.

Well, they just sealed my trailer, so im gonna kick the tires and light the fires. I've gotta grab me a big 'ol batch of gone and get my tin in the wind!

Maybe I'll post more as I remember them all. THis is fun for some silly reason!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brasscatz
03-30-2013, 10:09 AM
THis is fun for some silly reason!

I can't speak for everybody, but I'm having a blast reading too!

4.3LXJ
03-30-2013, 10:16 AM
I am having plenty of fun reading this too.

Paddletrucker
03-30-2013, 02:49 PM
This is kind of nostalgic and funny for me, so if I go to far, feel free to shut me right down.

IF you're driving along in right lane, you're using the granny lane. If you are being help up by a slower vehicle, you'll need to get into the hammer lane, or show off lane.

THe truck stop chain, Flying J is known as Lyin' J, or most commonly, "the Hook" ex. "Hey driver, what exit is the Hook?"

Yardsticks, yardsticker, or yardline, refers to mile markers. IF a guy's been driving all day, he might say, "I've got a back pocket plumb full of yardsticks."

Dept. of Transportation Commercial Vehicle Inspection Officers? Creeper Cops.

If two or more trucks are driving along, and one or more gets held up at a red light, lots of time, you'll hear the driver who made it through say, "Sorry driver, I didn't throw out enough change for you.'

If you hear someone pipe up and say, "Hello? Come In?" He just saw someone he recognized. It's kind of a hello.

If a driver sees another guy he recognizes who's way ahead of schedule or driving faster than usual, you'll hear him comment, "Dad'gum! You're makin' 'em a hand tonight!!"

Your terminal is known as "the Junkyard" or simply, "the yard"

IF you're pulling an empty trailer, and someone asks you what you're hauling, you might say, "I've got a full load of politician's brains" or "supervisor brains" or simply, "saiboat fuel"

A yellow motor, bulldozer motor, or kitty cat, refers to a Caterpillar engine. A Come-A-Part or Red motor refers to a Cummins, and if somebody says they're running a green motor, of course, he has a Detroit.

And, even though I grew up knowing what colors Cat Engines, Cummins Engines and Detroit engines were, you can still get taken by the lingo as a rookie. I'll tell off on myself for some stuff I did as a young dumb kid with more horsepower under the hood than brains under the CAT Diesel cap.......

One night, I'd been running with a guy who was a friendly sort of a guy. Talked to him off and on for several hours, when he said, "Sorry, Hand, but I'm gonna hafta pull over here. I've got a tire on fire." Wanting to be helpful and not get tagged as one of those dreaded "new breed" of discourteous drivers my grandpa talked about, I pulled off behind him and headed for his cab with my fire extinguisher. I made it up to axles on the passenger side of tractor and saw him walk out from between the trailer and tractor, zipping up his pants. I startled him and he went defensive in a hurry. Yup, he had to relieve himself, or "put out a tire fire" After he decided I didn't have nefarious intent, he had a good laugh at my expense. Dumb me. If he WOULD'VE had a tire on fire, I was less than 1/4 mile behind him, I'd have know it. Duh!

On my very first run that was really away from home, I was to leave CHickendale, AR with a load of frozen cornish hens and I had two stops. The first was a cold storage in Gary, IN and then run over to Toledo for drop #2. On I-57 at Effingham headed up, I start hearing guys warn me that I was going to run into some "lake effect" and to be careful. Now, I'm a Native Texan that grew up in OK. It's not hot until the temp STARTS with two ones. I had NO EARTHLY IDEA what lake effect was, and didn't want to admit it to anyone or be laughed at over the CB for asking what was obvious to everybody but me. I'd seen only enough snow to make a foot print my whole life. I grew up water skiing and fishing, though. We were always at the lake. I kept thinking, "Man, what is it about those Great Lakes? I've never been afraid of a lake before. What's this lake going to do????" Well, I started hitting those bands of heavy lake effect, and I got an education REAL quick about lake effect!:out::D:sign0181::sign0181:

And, one I can tell on myself when I wasn't quite so much a rookie. Uh, hem....this past JANUARY :rolleye0012::rolleye0012: I was headed home from Cigar CIty (Tampa, FL) and was really sick. I'd gone about as far as I could and needed a break, but I had to be here for a deadline to make a delivery. I didn't have a choice. I was in OK on the big road (Interstate) and had actually gotten a little ahead. I decided a short nap might help. There's a pickle park (rest area....don't ask. You don't want to know why) just a mile or so before I got to the cash box (toll booth) about an hour from my destination, so that's where I was going to dive in and get some snooze. Not wanting to get in the sleeper for fear of not waking back up, I just pulled up behind another truck who was parked, left the truck running, and laid across my arms on the steering wheel. I guess I'd been there 15 minutes or so (and was OUT) when a truck woke me up by driving by. I woke up, picked my head up off of the wheel and saw a truck on the left pass me and the brake lights on the trailer in front of me come on. Well, you know what came next. HORRIFIED that I'd fallen asleep at 65mph, I started steering, shifting, and braking with all of my might. BY this time, another truck had pulled up next to me. I was grinding gears trying to get geared down, I dove in the brakes so hard that I actually destroyed a valve in the air brake system behind the dash. I was driving for all I was worth. Driving my butt off...not going anywhere. Then, I realized and remembered that I had parked and was sitting still.

Apparently, the truck in front of me was getting ready to leave, but was waiting on the first truck that had went by me on the left. That's when I saw the brake lights. THe truck that was now sitting to my left also saw the brake lights and was waiting for the parking spot. With a HUGE sigh of relief, I looked over to my left and that driver was just sitting there looking at me like I had four heads. He picked up his mic and said, "Jeeeeeeezus, Hand! What the **** was that?!?!"

I told him that was me, almost having a heart attack. I almost needed a meat wagon (ambulance) that day. I had to work on my brakes, re-adjust my clutch, and pry myself off of the seat cushion before leaving:rolleyes::bang::bang::bang: